Sunday, December 3, 2017

Grass and Decorating

Well everyone was really curious about the grass/fur so I'm torn. Do I lead with that and give everyone what they want or do I keep it until the end and make you read the rest of the post first?

I'm not good at this.  I'll just show you guys the grass so far.

I started with some golden brown fur I had.


Since the table the dollhouse is on is my only work surface I employed sophisticated methods to protect the dollhouse from any paint spatter.  Method shown above.


I have a bunch of different colored fur, mostly because I used to make teddy bears as a hobby and for gifts and I can't stop myself from buying fur when I find it in the remnants bin.

I started out painting it with watered down Folk Art Apple Green.  Mostly to take the sheen of the acrylic fur off the fibers and to give it a decent base coat.

So its a yellowish green which is better but not quite grassy.  I had to let it dry overnight and Sunday morning painted it with a mix of different greens.


Better color but now the paint has to dry again.  Which took until around six at night and its still damp in spots.

But I tried to comb it out a bit with the cat brush and got some semi decent results.


I'm going to let it dry completely and then try to brush it out more.  But I like the color.  To Be continued.

And now the rest of what I did.  Lots of decorating.

I started out with the mantle and fireplace.  A lot of these pieces are the goodies I got from one of the online shows.  The candlesticks are from HBS Miniatures and the painting is by Megan Balli. She's on Etsy but I can't remember the name of her shop and I bought the painting a few years ago.


I never notice until they're in pictures but I have fat fingers.  Fred Flintstone fingers.
 

I got a cute little sign that just fits on the empty wall space in the kitchen.


Since our home owner has a nice little wine rack I thought it was appropriate.


Then it was time to fill up the windowseat built ins.  Wow that's a lot of space.

Luckily I have a lot of books and tchotchkes to put on the shelves.  I made some magazines to go in the basket.




And I made a couple pairs of Pepper's Converse Hightop shoes.


I made a pair in blue too and forgot to take a closeup of them.  But they look good next to the magazines right?


I've got a little box of matches on the way for the fireplace and the cubby on the opposite side of the bench will have wood for the fireplace in it.  I need to find a branch or two and cut it down to fit in the cubby.

I had a bunch of books that I got to fill up the shelves.




A nice big shell, a pretty box, a little turtle and some wooden bowls.



I put the speakers up and a couple of pieces next to them and tested out how the whole thing looked in the house.


I also got a bunch of records.



Our home owner is a Bowie fan.  As everyone should be. :-)

I like how the records look in the little cubbies under the shelves.



I did a few other things but I didn't take pictures so I'll show you in a couple days.

One last thing I did was add a pull to the ladder so you don't have to be nine feet tall in order to reach it to pull it down.


So. Progress is good.  We like progress.

My board that I ordered for the base was supposed to arrive Friday and now they're saying Monday.  I'm really hoping it comes quick so I can get the house on it and work on landscaping a bit along with all the other odds and ends I need to do.

But the end is in sight.  I'm trying really hard to not panic.

How are all of you?

21 comments:

  1. I think I owned a few of those records!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a few of them were floating around my house.

      Delete
  2. Lovely details, it is turning really great. We all can see the light at the end of the tunnel. It has been a pleasure to follow your progress through this wonderful project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't believe it's been nearly a year.

      Delete
  3. hi sheila, I tried to make those sneakers as well and gave up - what fiddly work! even with thin fingers ;-). hehe, all these little details are what make a house a home! You are incredibly productive.. guess it is time for an update blog from my side as well.. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I kept bending over to cute them and nearly cutting my hair. Sharp exacto knife blades really help!

      Can't wait to see what you've been up to.

      Delete
  4. Wow, Sheila, you've made a lot of progress. I like all of the added detailed miniatures. The sneakers look awesome and together with all other purchases the house looks already very comfy now, great work!! Regarding the furr/grass: after just one coat of green paint the result is stunning, thanks for showing.
    Good luck with the rest, but I'm sure that you'll finish this lovely house in time!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to have the fur brushed out and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. The faux fur grass looks good. I've got some left over from thatching a roof, I'll have to play with it. I wonder if markers would work better than paint as far as cutting down dry time. Dry time was my enemy yesterday.

    All the stuffs looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, hair dryer... Don't have one. But so far air drying seems to work pretty well. I think markers would depend on the fur and whether or not it would absorb.

      Delete
  6. It's all these little details that make a home and your latest purchases are awesome. Thanks for sharing the fur/grass item. It already looks good.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping once I brush it out it'll look a bit more realistic.

      Delete
  7. The added accessories make the house come to life even more, great additions! Wow, I really admire your skills to make those sneakers, and they look awesome. The grass already looks very promising!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm hoping to make the house look lived in.

      Delete
  8. The grass is getting even more intriguing! Everything else is fun and thoughtful and I am really looking forward to seeing it all completed in your submission photos! It is hard to believe that a whole year has gone by since the last deadline!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I'm really hoping the grass works out. Otherwise I wasted a lot of paint and fur.

      But it's nice to be close to the finish line.

      Delete
  9. So close Sheila! It’s looking great! And yay for Kylie Minogue and INXS! And is thatvPet Shop Boys I see? Someone grew up during the 80s I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I'm over forty so yes, the eighties are very familiar to me.

      Thanks! I'm hoping to have it done pretty soon.

      Delete
  10. Hello, Sheila! Thanks for the useful tutorial! I like all your minis! You have very interesting and unusual things and use them very successfully and beautifully. Very nice and cozy room! Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your grass turns out better with less effort than mine. The rooms were far more fun!

      Delete