Friday, December 15, 2017

A Week's Worth Of Flowers

I wanted to work a bit harder on the yard of this house.  I liked NOLA House and the idea of a New Orleans row house.  But this is a tiny home with some land around it so it deserves some flowerbeds.  I'd like to think I've gotten better at making flowers since last year.

In spring the lawns are usually not at their best, they've got fallen branches, bare patches and mud.  People generally haven't turned their sprinklers on yet or aggressively begun to spread seed and fertilizer. We'll have lovely flowerbeds and a terrible looking lawn.

So I started with some hyacinths.  Those are always the first to bloom at my house.  Roses come in early spring here if you've taken care of them.  They're not my strong suit, most things beyond basic 'plant and water' are beyond my capabilities.

But hyacinths are a perennial and I can generally keep from killing them.  

I also did some tulips which are the next ones that usually bloom here.  I don't get to keep tulips for more than a season because the squirrels eat them.  

Lilies and iris are usually sprouting but not blooming but sometimes the lobelia comes early.

Sunflowers are a little trickier but they can have an extended season down here if you take care of them.  

A few little bushes that have been trimmed and shaped.  We generally do that in the spring and then halfway through the summer.  

A gorgeous birdbath from April Wright Pottery and a birdfeeder I made.  The birdseed is sand and ground black pepper.  And I made an Adirondack chair out of popsicle sticks.


 


Only one or two finishing touches and then I'm done.  Pictures tomorrow outside if the weather holds.  And if the weather doesn't hold I'll be making a quick trip to the store for white sheets and a makeshift photo booth like Keli's.

Fingers crossed.


9 comments:

  1. Photos tomorrow? The deadline was the 15th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I feel like an idiot.

      I've been thinking it was today for almost a year. All that work and I missed the deadline.

      Delete
    2. OH NO! Not after you got it done in time and everything. :(

      I was so hoping you were going to say that you got the submission pictures sent last night and the photo shoot today was just extras for the blog.

      I'm sad. :(

      Delete
    3. Hey Sheila, can I email you? I think I might have something that will help. :)

      Delete
    4. I can't find a contact anything here on your blog... or you can email me at paperdollminis @ gmail.

      Delete
  2. The flowers and yard turned out very lovely, and the chair is adorable and perfect on the porch!

    I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they let you into the contest. They are so great at HBS - I can't imagine they'd say no to such a committed participant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to drag my butt outside and take more pictures.

      Delete