Sunday, November 24, 2019

I Seem To Be Missing Half a Month

There's something about this time of year that makes the days go by at light speed.  Insane right?

But somehow I've lost half of November.  Jodi mentioned this a few days ago, and she's so right.  Maybe it's because I work in accounting and when you're constantly on a deadline things seem to whip by.  Maybe it's that I've got several projects going simultaneously and there never seems to be enough time?

Yeah, Christmas shopping? What's that?  Thank God my niece and nephews love gift cards.  And my husband doesn't want anything.

The good news is I have made progress on the bookshop.  I have a few more things to do but the inside is pretty much finished.

I started out by getting curtains in the third floor windows and made a wrought iron trim piece for the roof.

I finished off the last of the book/magazine/newspaper displays on the first floor.  Changed a couple of books in the window displays with some fashion magazines.

And added a table with newspapers and more magazines on top of it.

I also made an insert to make the floor look finished when I don't have the front attached.

The table is the gold and black table I originally made for NOLA House and it ended up being too large so I went with something else.  I like that it's gold and black like the rest of the shop furniture. Seemed fortuitous.

I ran into the reason I hate using plug strips and transformers.  A twelve plug strip doesn't always support twelve lights.  So I've ordered another and another transformer in order to not have a ton of battery lights again.

I know in the UK they make something that goes off how many bulbs you're using rather than volts or watts or whatever.  I'm officially jealous since I can't find anything like that yet.  I'll keep looking.  In the mean time...

The lights work. Yay.

I need to make a sign for the shop too.  Add it to the list.

I wanted to put some paintings on the walls by the stairs.  I have some that will look appropriate.  The frames were this bright shiny gold though so I aged them with black paint and dull gold over it.

Much better.

So I started to work on the living quarters.  First was getting the furniture painted or stained.  And while that dried I worked on the pitcher and basin and the chamber pot.  It took me a bit but I got them painted out nicely.

I got some of my scrapbook paper and made a tile inlay for the washstand.

Then I added a few necessities.

I'm a little concerned that I've given the apartment/flat too modern of a look but I just couldn't stand anymore dark furniture.

The secretary was next.  Since every other piece of furniture had brass trim I added some to it in strategic places with dull gold paint on the knobs and columns.

I'll make an inkwell and some paperwork to sit on the pull out desk.

I also added canisters, dishes and some 'canned goods' to the hutch after I painted it white.

I put some groceries on the table.

Remember when I said I had a mirror for Cecelia Alyce?  That I couldn't find and had to order another one?  Well I found the original and it's a perfect topper to the bureau.

The glue has to dry still but so far so good.

So far I need to add the store sign.
Add shingles
Corner finishes
Plug in the rest of the lights
Finish the street with pavers
And make a coatrack maybe.

I'm really hopeful that I'll finish over Thanksgiving weekend.

Hope you're all having a wonderful week.

Monday, November 18, 2019

Bricks and Wiring

Much as I dislike wiring and dealing with it I decided it couldn't be put off any longer.  I routed out channels in the outer walls and tested all the lights afterwards.

Everything seems to be working.

Of course the transformer I had isn't the right type for my outlet strip so I've had to order one.  While I'm waiting for that to come in I'll reattach all the plugs for the lights.

But once the wires were set I could add the brick to the exterior.  I bought some brick stencils from Moonflower Minis and used drywall spackle as my brick.

Once it dried I added paint and coated it with ceramcoat then added mortar.

I added more ceramcoat once the mortar dried and I'll age the brick with some 'soot' as I did the wooden 'storefront' earlier.  I want to add my shingles and roof edging before I do that though, since the sooty rain would drip down the store front and brick.

Finishing the roof would be a good idea too. You think? LOL

My roof trim.  It'll look better once the glue has dried and I'm not taking a picture from a really awful angle.  I'm a little nervous about leaving the front flat and not closing in the rest of the shop.  The Building Inspector has been very interested in the entire endeavor.

My other little project is a birdhouse I'm messing around with.  I used some of my brick paper for the exterior and made stucco like the WQRC to give it a Tudor look.  The interior is scrapbook paper.  I'm waiting on a few pieces to come from Shapeways so I have something inside besides the Christmas tree.

I'm using some of my left over shingles from the WQRC for the roof and I'll do the same paint treatment to give them a slate look.

A few more weeks before the deadline.  I might actually make it.  Don't know for sure but I'm hopeful.