Saturday, September 30, 2023

China Sets For the Etsy Shop

 I've been experimenting lately with things I can put in my Etsy shop and came up with a couple of listings that I think are worthwhile. 

I love mini dishes but it seems like they're never modern designs.

First I experimented and came up with a pretty set that I thought Jodi might like for Roz. But Roz's kitchen is already perfectly outfitted and Goldie loved them. So the china is Goldie's now. Roz is such a generous Beary Godmother. 

Jodi took these pictures. Even her photography is better than mine!

I came up with two other designs. One with Blue Flowers and another with Country Wildflowers and used the music room box as my display area.

First the Blue Flowers. A Twenty six piece set.

Four dinner plates, four lunch plates, four bowls, four cups and four saucers.

Two large serving bowls, one large platter, two smaller platters and a pitcher.

The Country Wildflowers set is a little different. It has twenty seven pieces. 

Four dinner plates, four lunch plates, four bowls, four cups and four saucers.

Two large serving bowls, one large platter, three small platters and a pitcher.

I put them on Etsy this morning so hopefully they'll do well. My plan is that every set is unique. 

Friday, September 15, 2023

Lots of Little Things...And a Tree

Well time got away from me. I've only been meaning to post for two weeks now!

I've been working on a lot of little things for the build. I needed a paddle to take things out of the hot oven. So I drew the outline on basswood, cut and sanded it down and then stained it before rubbing it with charcoal for a slightly aged look.

I like how it came out.

Another thing I needed was baskets, several in various sizes. I have a bunch of paper wrapped wire that reminds me of grapevines so I used that. It gives the baskets a slightly rustic appearance.  Then I added the produce, eggs and sewing paraphernalia. 

Filling the baskets up with things is handy for disguising the slightly rougher interiors. I made the sewing/knitting stuff but not the vegetables. Miniature food is still a little beyond my capabilities right now.

I'd purchases some urns/pitchers and placed them in various spots in the kitchen and bedroom, but I didn't have any bowls to match. And I really wanted a shallow bowl for the bedroom, suitable for washing up in the morning or evening.

So I went with Kris's paper pottery tutorial. I couldn't find my quilling paper so I cut thin strips of printer paper instead. It worked out pretty well I think. Lots of glue, sanding, glue, sanding and then acrylic paint, and Gallery Glass paint on top to give it a glazed ceramic/pottery look.

You'll recall that I made a bunch of little jars to put on the shelves around the living quarters. But I wanted some other type of storage as well and figured that chests and boxes would be something useful. You never know right?

So I made a bunch of chests with legs to keep them off the floor using various pieces of trim and sized them to fit under the stairs and alongside the stairwell.  Fair warning, lots of pictures to follow.

My first attempt:

Second chest, slightly fancier with metal handles:

Third try. This one is meant to be stored on top of the bed:

Fourth attempt. Slightly shorter than the first, also meant to slide on top of the bed:

Fifth try. I didn't like this one as much, so it's going into a far corner, and I glued the lid down. Don't say I didn't warn you about all these pictures:

Sixth. Bringing in some of the Celtic knotwork trim. Not sure why I didn't take a picture with the lid off. It is removable. 

Seventh one. More knotwork. At this point I'm consciously measuring and trying to make chests that'll stack under the stairs. Math is not my friend so not quite as easy as you'd think.

Last one!  Very small with one handle on the lid. 

And now all of them together:

I was very pleased when everything stacked up the way they were supposed to.

And they all fit into their spots.

The chest above might move to another part of the room. Not sure just yet.

I also decided that I wanted a couple of rush mats for the floors. I did a simpler one and then a braided mat.  I like the braided one a lot but it was very labor intensive.

I imagine I'll put the smaller simpler one in the kitchen, maybe as a kind of doormat. But I like the larger braided one in the bedroom.

But you all know how I wanted a tree. It has begun!

I noticed when I was painting the tree for the WQRC that the paint would rub off the trunk when I was holding it. So I primed the trunk with gesso in the hopes that this time the paint wouldn't rub off once it dried. 

I'll start painting this weekend when everything is completely dry and see how it goes. 

I hope your September is going well!

Slowly but surely crossing things off the list.

Finished goods
Forge Roof/ceiling
Forge Bargeboards - skip, too fancy
Second floor/ceiling beams
Second floor/ceiling
Second floor walls
Second floor fireplace
Second floor railing (so no one falls down the stairs)
Forge Chimney
House Chimney
Dragons for chimney and chimney pots
Benches/stools for kitchen. 
Oven/bread paddles (at least one)
Rush mats
Knitting/sewing...something for the upstairs bench.
Fur throw
Fireplace tools, (tongs, shovel, poker)
Pease Porridge Pot
Sink with dishes
Bucket of water
Barrel of water for forge
Shingles - living quarters
Shingles - Forge
Well/water pump with Water!