Thursday, November 30, 2017

The Eaves & Beams On the Last of November

Last gasp of November and I managed to get the eaves painted a nice soft grey to contrast with the white trim.

Part of me is tempted to do something with this color on the windows too but I don't want to go crazy and quite frankly I'd probably goof it up and then hate myself.

It was hard enough painting the grey so it didn't mess up the white.

It doesn't look so crisp and pretty this way, the grey doesn't contrast the aqua as well as the white did.  But the beams really stand out nicely.

It looks much better this way.

Oops.  One little spot of grey I missed.  Have to clean that up.  But other than that... Not bad.

And here's the eaves of the porch.


Not bad right?  A few little spots that could be touched up but pretty good for not turning the house upside down.

I've got a few little projects, some Converse sneakers to make, a painting to add to the chimney wall and a couple of coats to do, but those can all be done in between stages of making grass out of fur.

I'm testing a little piece now to see how well the process will work with the materials I have.  But I got the idea from this Pinterest pic.

Grass - fur dyed with acrylic paint (1 part) and water (4 parts), brush out, trim

Believe it or not, that's fur.  The excellent person who did this explains the process pretty well so I'm trying it out on a scrap of fur I have to see if it will work just as well on acrylic fur.  Even if it comes out half as well I'll be pleased.

My board for the base of my house is due to come in tomorrow.  Then I'll get it cut down and the house fixed onto it.  That'll be a process in itself since the house is pretty bulky and I don't have a ton of space.  But once I've got that done I just need to figure out some landscaping, hence the fur grass, and put all my furniture and décor in place.

This is not helped by the period end closing process at work, a holiday lunch/Secret Santa/potluck on December 15th and the need to wrap and mail packages to the family before the post office gets bogged down with mail.

Once I'm done with the house I'm going to work on a fun little project and then get going on my Downtown Loft again.

But any progress is good progress at this point.  Yay painted eaves.

How are all of you?  Happy Holidays!




24 comments:

  1. The grey looks very good, Sheila.

    I'm very interested in that grass technique I've seen that link too...crossing my fingers for you and let us know how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I kept in mind what you said about the shadows making the grey look darker so I didn't go with the zinc in the end. Worked out pretty well I think.

      I'm really curious about this grass effect too. Have to see. I need to comb my sample out a bit to see if the paint will stick or not.

      Delete
  2. You were right about the gray - it looks very nice! The fur grass experiment looks intriguing! Do you get sick of working on one particular project for so long too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how it looks now. The details show up.

      I do get sick of the same thing, but since I can only work weekends usually I can't do more than one dollhouse at a time. But unless I've got the perfect idea and it really catches fire I find myself dragging a bit.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheila! I agree with the others... the gray looks great! I look forward to seeing the grass grow....! That is an interesting looking method! I admire your deadline-awareness... that's why I don't do contest builds... I can't seem to stay on track that long! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad it worked out.

      Deadline awareness... that's such a sweet way to say it. It's more like panic. :-)

      Delete
  4. I also agree: it looks fantastic. I look forward to seeing the grass grow. I've never heard of this technique, so I'm curious too ;).
    Good luck!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping the fur grass works out well, but we'll see.

      Delete
  5. I sound like a parrot but have to say that it looks fantastic :-D! The grass idea is amazing! It looks so realistic on the photos of the maker, very impressive! Looking forward to your landscaping progress :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really hoping the grass process works out.

      Delete
  6. The house looks great! And that grass! That is cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping mine looks half as cool when I'm done.

      Delete
  7. The eaves look good Sheila, and tie in with the roof well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete
  8. Se ven muy bien los aleros y la idea de la hierba me parece fantástica. Buen fin de semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sheila! Good combination of colors. You managed very carefully paint and tiny spots no one can see except for you;) Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping it'll look good when it's finally done.

      Delete
  10. The beams really pop now! It looks great!.. I've seen that fur grass on my web stalking tours too.. and have wondered about doing in myself. I can't wait to see your version.. I will use you as my test case. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited about the fur grass...hopefully it'll turn out well.

      Delete
  11. It's all looking quite smashing Sheila! The eves are lovely and your idea for the lawn are intriguing, can't wait to see it how all turns out :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really hopeful about how it will look.

      Delete
  12. The grey does look best. Using fur for grass is an unusual idea and not a bad one by the looks. I wonder how is began did someone spill green paint on his/her fur trimmings.....
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm not sure about the origins of fur grass. The link gave another link which is now defunct but I'm excited to try this.

      Delete