Sunday, October 1, 2017

Trim and Ceiling Lights

While I let my brain mull over the fail of the shampoo bottles I decided to work on some of the exterior trim.  This is more of the paint, glue and wait stuff so I started to do a few things at a time in the hopes of making actual progress.

I had already drilled the holes for my can lights and finally routed out the wire channels on the roof side.  Before I added the 'cans' I needed to paint.

I taped off the 'ceiling' part of the roof and painted the white underside of the eaves so I wouldn't have to do it later.  Then after that dried I painted the ceiling and glued the 'cans' in.  Then the lights.



Waiting for the glue to dry on that I started to work on the skylight.  I changed the interior trim to match the rest of the house's craftsman style, stained it cherry and glued it in.  The exterior is painted black metallic and I didn't glue it in yet.  I want the option of removing it in order to take pictures.



Glue is still drying but so far so good.

The can lights will run off four AAA batteries which will be hidden in the chimney.    I've started to build the chimney but it isn't finished yet.

While all that was drying I glued on the exterior trim for the windows and a bit of the trim on the roofline and porch.  I like how it looks so far.


The picture window is also removable, at least from the inside.  Again, I wanted the option of multiple picture taking angles.  The rest of the windows open and close but the front window doesn't so I can't stick a camera through it without removing the glass.  I'll use some sticky wax to hold it in place when I'm done.




My corners don't look as nice as I'd like so I need to adjust and trim them out a bit more.  The wainscoting ledges don't meet properly.  Live and learn.


I've got to work on the rest of the trim and then begin to build the porch and columns for it.  I'll need to add stone to the chimney as well.  Plus it needs some stacks and more detail to look realistic.

Then its figuring out the base and some landscaping while I work on the furniture.

We lost the internet for fourteen hours today so I actually got most of this done today and yesterday afternoon.

How's everyone else doing?  I need to go catch up on the postings!

10 comments:

  1. The can lights and cherry trim look great against the blue ceiling! I love it!
    I wonder if you could use some corner trim on the edges of the clapboard? You may have to carefully trim some away from the edges to allow for the thickness to make it sit flush. Painted white it would look like a feature, or you could paint it blue to blend in. I've seen it done both ways.
    Where the corners meet for the opening wall, you could put a piece of trim, the same width as the corner trim, on either edge? Where they meet up when the wall is closed it would still look like corner trim.
    For gaps in trims and moldings, I stopped using spackle because I can never get it clean and smooth. Instead, I put Quick Grab Tacky in a syringe, squeeze it into the gap, spit on my finger (gross I know but it works) and smooth it across in one direction. Keep doing that until it's filled in. The spit keeps the glue from sticking to your finger and making a mess. When the glue dries, see if it needs another layer. When it's nice and filled in, touch up the paint. My dad taught me that when he showed me how to use silicone grout and it works fantastic!
    Have you decided on the roofing material yet? I can't wait for that! The house is looking stellar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had in mind to use corner trim painted white to match the rest. I'm painting the exposed mdf the same blue as the siding so that any gaps don't show the brown raw kit.

      I'm debating cutting the siding away or having the corner trim go over the siding. Not sure yet. I'm favoring over, simply because I'm terribly at cutting straight lines.

      I'm thinking of cedar shingles for the roof, stained grey with a black wash over them to darken and age the roof a bit. I've got some in my stash, just need to see how many I need.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I didn't realize how much work goes in building a dollhouse. Now I fully appreciate your work. This dollhouse is going to be a show piece.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited that it's coming together. Hopefully it'll fool some folks into thinking it's life sized.

      Delete
  3. Its looking good! I really like your window design. I am looking forward to a photo with the lights all turned on. Be warned - the tape that you holding the wiring for the lights with will loose its adhesion after a few months ( at least mine did) Keep up the good work - Troy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The tape is a temporary measure, mostly to keep everything in place for testing. Though I've had very good luck with masking tape staying in place. It seems to adhere to MDF very well. I'm planning on some shingles over everything so I need to glue the wires in place before I do that.

      Delete
  4. It looks great. I am excited to see it with the lights on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited to get all of them working!

      Delete
  5. Ooohh.. This is looking really good! I love the exterior colours the navy blue and white is so fresh and modern :D
    I agree with Jodi, corner trim is the way to go. I'd paint it white too and over the top is fine. That's how they do RL trim over here anyway.
    The Chimney is coming together too. Can't wait to see the landscaping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just fell for that navy and white so hard. RL trim on the corners goes over the siding where I live too. Along with a lot of caulk to keep it watertight.

      I'm hoping to get the furniture started so it can glue while I do the outside. Hopefully move back and forth between in and out. Lots of juggling!

      Delete