Sunday, October 29, 2017

Staining Shingles

Another weekend of not accomplishing much on the dollhouse.  Mostly because I'm worn out from working on the real house.

We had some loose tiles in our back bathroom so I made my first foray into the world of tile, thin-set and grout.

My knees and back are protesting.

But I did get my shingles stained.  The first layer I used Rustoleum's Weathered Grey.

I like it but its very light.


So I let it dry overnight and then mixed up some black paint with a bit of grey and then watered it down.

I coated the shingles and then wiped off the excess just like I would a stain.



I still have a little bit of what looks like raw wood showing but it's more like layers of color rather than one flat stain.

That's it so far.  I need to paint trim and get it added to the upper portion of the house as well as get some rafters cut for under the eaves.  And work on the porch and columns for it.  That's not even including the furniture that needs to be made, or the window seat cushion and bedding.

I've got a list.

Hopefully I'll get a little more energy this afternoon and get a few more things accomplished but I'm not going to hold my breath.


24 comments:

  1. The additional wash on the shingles looks splendid! Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like how this looks but if it lightens up after it dries I'll have to add another layer of wash.

      Delete
  2. Well done on the roof Sheila. I like the uneven washes, makes it more realistic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping this is it and it won't lighten up much more as it dries.

      Delete
  3. Sheila, this looks great! Only new roofs are totally even - this looks perfect! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't want an old beat up roof like NOLA house but I didn't want brand new either.

      Delete
  4. Yep! I agree with the concensus! It looks wonderful!

    And go you, working on real life tile! I learned the very hard way, when restoring an old and long-covered-by-carpet wood floor, that good knee pads were essential! I was on my knees for days pulling old rusty carpet tacks. I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Ungh... if I could have avoided it I would have. I had a rolled up rug to kneel on but by the time I was done my back and knees were killing me. I'm just praying I don't have to do it again.

      Delete
  5. I REALLY like the way your roof has turned out Sheila and the weathered grey is an Attractive Choice with the Blue and the white trims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm fairly pleased with how it looks.

      Delete
  6. I really like the weathered grey. Now I am wondering if I should copy you for my shabby chic porch. I have no idea what color to stain my shingles there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's a nice color but to me it always looks a little flat without some aging added to it.

      Delete
  7. I like the colour and the ageing adds that extra that makes it more realistic and better looking. You are on the right path. Have a nice week :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic! Love the colour and agree the paint wash has added some depth and variation. Well done!
    Why is it that we can't spend any time bent over anymore without feeling like we are 85 at the end of it.. The aging process is cruel! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know what it is about a roof and needing it to look a bit older.

      Honestly my grandmother at 85 was probably in better shape than I am in my forties. But I'm feeling a little better this morning.

      Delete
  9. Nice work! :D I plan to use that color on the Mill, so it's nice to see how it works in mini. I agree the washes add a lot of depth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to see it on the Mill now too.

      Delete
  10. Greetings from the UK. You are very creative. Well done.

    Thank you. Love love, Andrew. Bye.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The shingles look great. I like the flashing around the chimney- great touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm hoping to touch it up a bit and add a bit more so it looks more waterproof.

      Delete