Monday, October 23, 2017

Shingles! And Flashing

Not that sort of flashing.

I don't want to scare people.

The sort that goes around a chimney.  You know, copper, steel...that sort of thing? 

I thought about bronze, I really did.  But nothing else on the outside of the house is bronze.  So I decided to go with black metallic. 

I love thin cardboard.  It's so versatile.  I painted it black and then black metallic over it. 



A bit of glue still sticking to it but I'll fix that with some tweezers and paint touch up after I finish the roof.

You can see I've started shingling already.

That was time consuming until I found my glue gun. Then it went much faster.  Simple too, no dormers or gables so no angle cutting on the shingles. Yay!


Here's the main roof with the chimney cap and the skylight in place.  Fits very nicely.


Then I started on the smaller roof.


I'll  get some of my grey weathered stain and do that in a few days, then add a wash of black paint if the grey looks too light.

While that's drying I'll start back up on the porch.


I keep looking at my ladder and wondering if I should sand it and paint it or just leave the stain the way it is?  I might sand and soften a few spots strategically where hands would grip the rails.

But that's my big accomplishment for the weekend. Not much I'm afraid. 

Hope everyone else had a good time.

12 comments:

  1. The roof looks great! I'm looking forward to seeing the grey stain, but I honestly like it this natural colour too. :)
    That ladder is great! Love it just as it is. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the color too but it doesn't quite go with the house. It's very light and the house needs something a bit darker.

      Delete
  2. The roof looks great! I think a gray or slate colored look will complement the blue very nicely. No minis for me last weekend. Here I have a deadline to be finished by Thanksgiving but keep getting carried away with other things. *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited with how it looks though I want to do a bit more with the chimney flashing once I get the stain on the shingles.

      Yeah, my mini-ing tends to slow down in the winter months since work gets a bit insane.

      Delete
  3. The roof looks really good. I love the chimney, it not only hides the lights it blends well with the exterior of the house.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited with how its turning out.

      Delete
  4. I love the colors on the chimney. That looks like quite a lot accomplished to me. Shingling takes me forever. I remember last December when I was shingling my witch's cottage and it took FOREVER. I was panicking because I had Christmas stuff to get done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! No angles to cut made it go much faster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! Staining this weekend in between repairs to the actual life house. Blech.

      Delete