Sunday, March 7, 2021

Stovetop & Oven

 I haven't posted the last couple weeks, mostly because I've been messing around with my Cricut.  I've had some problems... my chipboard kept shifting and I finally got it taped down so it wouldn't move.  I also needed to replace my knife blade.

I've been working on the oven and stovetop for the Container House.  The biggest problem has been the stovetop.  As seen here:


Not quite what I was going for.  I think the little prongs are just slightly too narrow.  So I went to Kris's site and took a look at her modern range tutorial.  

Luckily I tend to hoard scrap wood.  So I got out my saw and started to work on the stovetop today.


I looked at several different methods of making the burner and oven switches.  I'm not entirely sold on either of these but I'm getting there.




I like silver a lot but there's something very striking about the bronze too.


If I go with the bronze I'll need to get some headpins to match.  I'm still not sure though. I figure I can wait until I decide on the cabinet colors.

But I did get the stovetop glued together.


I was able to use some of the pieces I'd cut with the Cricut which is nice.


So I've made something of a start.  

I did also decide to move the range over to the island.  It'll give me a little more room for the refrigerator and a slightly bigger stove.

Once I draw up the cabinets I'll be able to use the Cricut to cut them.  That'll be nice.

I hope all of you are having a good weekend!  Stay safe and healthy and happy.


10 comments:

  1. When you are finally skilled enough to use your new work tools, all the time you devoted for learning is well spent. I'm looking forward to see your stove.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing effort, Sheila! And yes - the limitations on how thinly the Cricut will cut is just a trial and error thing. I find that using the kraft cardboard stuff that is thinner will cut more cleanly and intricately. Then, you can just laminate two or three layers together to achieve the thickness you need. Keep going! It's going to be amazing! And I love where you are going with the handles, too - so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really need a laser cutter. Your work is so fabulous, but I can promise you, a laser cuts a lot better and faster than the Maker & you can make sure small, thin cuts without tearing. I still use my Maker for paper and vinyl (vinyl is toxic when cut with a laser), but for wood, nothing beats a laser. Plus, they aren't that expensive anymore. I love mine.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiene un aspecto fantástico , así que estaré pendiente de no perdérmelo, gracias por mostrarlo. Buena semana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheila, la cocina, después de modificar el primer corte, tiene un aspecto fantástico! yo uso cartón kraft para esos cortes tan pequeños, la máquina los corta más limpiamente!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pity that the Cricut didn't work well for the thicker part as the stovetop. But your solution is a good one, tthe stovetop is wonderful. The handles look great, both sorts.
    Stay safe, take care, dear Sheila, keep going!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  7. Too bad the Cricut didn't work out for you but you managed to come back with a great looking result by doing it yourself. I love the pieces you are using for your handles which, I assume, are jewellery findings of some sort. I haven't seem any like that in our neck of the woods but, as soon as our borders open up again, I will be taking a trip down to Maine to see what might be available there at Hobby Lobby, etc. Our supplies here are very limited even at the best of times. Since this pandemic, craft supplies of any kind are getting very hard to find!
    Your house is looking great and I look forward to watching its progress. - Marilyn D., New Brunswick, Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually got the earring backs and teardrop findings on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086HL58G3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08L7DTMXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082X9ZY8L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

      Delete
  8. Hi Sheila! The trials of learning how new equipment works is one of the reasons I am still using my hand saws! LOL! I know how they work.... and their limitations pretty well. Your stove top is progressing beautifully! I think I am going to love your kitchen... the tiles have me drooling. I am not a fan of kitchen islands in RL... I am short and they are always too tall and in the way... (I admit I am old fashioned!) but in a mini container house, I can see the functional appeal... a bit like having the fire-pit inside where you need it... that is, right in the center of everything! I look forward to seeing this project grow! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shaila, I'm a bit behind with my blog reading again so you might have finished the stove switches by now. I just had the thought that they could be a combination of metal and porcelain. That way you don't need to look for bronze head pins. Use a bit of black or white acrylic paint over any colour pin and you have porcelain accents!
    I do like the way your burners turned out. They look more robust and at the same time to scale and realistic.

    ReplyDelete