Sunday, March 28, 2021

Cutting Cabinets

 I spent most of this weekend with my Cricut. (Please ignore the missing doorknob, that's what happens in an old house when the foundation shifts with the seasons and the cat's food is in the closet.)


Funny story, when I first put the WQRC on the table there with the cats' water under it, Helo was suspicious and wouldn't drink from there for weeks. There are other water dishes so he was all right but he does not like change. He's the quintessential Taurus.


That meant I had to set up my table and take it down again twice.  I am so grateful that I have a laptop.

I bought Cherry veneer when it was on sale and cut cabinet faces out of it.


With the scraps of veneer I played with stains. I need something with a grey to blue undertone so the cabinets would go well with the backsplash.  

So I played with Rust-Oleum's Weathered Grey over some streaks of Minwax's Ebony. And I added some Minwax Early American over the top.


I liked it but I wanted a little more grey, so I added more Rust-Oleum Weathered Grey on the top of it.


I'm going to play with it a little more, maybe a little more ebony or grey.  But the plan is to layer the veneer over chipboard.

I'm debating the countertop. I have something that looks like white and grey granite but I'm worried it'll look too busy with the backsplash.




For my appliances I want to do black, that'll also pick up the darker tones of the backsplash.  I cut out scrapbook paper and I'll cover the chipboard with it.  


I had to figure out a way to keep all the pieces separate.


Jack didn't like the noise of the Cricut but he didn't want to leave the room. So of course, he found a box.


My sweetheart.  I spent a lot of time waiting for the Cricut to make the cuts which was nice because I got to use that time writing.  So I didn't feel like I had to choose one hobby over the other.

But we've barely begun and I'm already thinking of lists.

Walls
Roof
Windows (and frames)
Sliding doors
Modern barn doors
Kitchen cabinets
Kitchen appliances
Backsplash
Bathroom cabinets
bathroom shower tile
Flooring
Stairs
Furniture
Lighting

And the list goes on and on...

I hope you're all having a good weekend!

7 comments:

  1. Ah yes... The Routine. Woodson gets very cranky when there is any change to the routine! And, if I am going to use the Cricut, the 3D printer or any of the loud power tools, I have to let him know in advance that I am going to be "noisy". That's his cue to run upstairs and get back under the covers. So much for making the bed, lol!

    I'm so excited to see you using the Maker to cut the veneer! And keenly interested in seeing how the veneer works over the chipboard! Very exciting! The stained cherry is going to be so pretty with the backsplash, and I would agree with your instincts about the countertop and backsplash competing for attention. Maybe a Silestone type solid surface counter with a hint of sparkle might be fun to try!

    That list is going to make for some exciting and creative months ahead! Can't wait Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a list. It will keep you busy for a long time. It will be great to follow your progress.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sheila, I am so excited to see what you are working on! Your plans sound fantastic and I know you will bring them to life with perfection! - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Que bien suenan todos los elementos de la lista! Estaré siguiendo todos los avances!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made a long list of things to do, but this also a good start of this new project, Sheila. I will follow it all from the start, so curious to see what you will come up with.
    I love seeing you experimenting with colors and materials.
    Have fun, and keep on making mini's!
    Stay safe, take care, Sheila.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila! Your planning will pay off in the long run... making the decisions before you cut your pieces is wise. I get really hung up on color choices sometimes.... I love blue and gray together so I like the ideas you are trying with the stains. And you are so good with the lists... I get overwhelmed when the list gets long... so I just stop adding to it! LOL! I can't wait to see these ideas come together! My cat just hides when I move Anything around! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your first endeavors in cabinet cutting look promising. I also like the more muted/gray wood tone.
    Hooray for lists. I always say that once you have it out of your head and on paper, your mind is much easier.

    ReplyDelete