Sunday, November 7, 2021

November - Already! OMG

Well I do have a few more things accomplished. Mostly small things.

  1. Support beams for the ceilings of the upper and lower level.
  2. Build the corners of the containers and glue them to the long walls.
  3. Glue in flooring for the upper level, stain and sand it.
    1. Figure out bathroom flooring & put it in.
  4. Build the bathroom wall
  5. Build the closet
  6. Build transom windows for upper level
  7. Fold & prime the corner lift pieces
  8. Make the four handles for the container doors
  9. Stain closet & Bathroom doors - convert to barn doors
  10. Cut the roof
  11. Prime the walls, roof & stairs
  12. Paint the walls & roof
  13. Make supports for the overhang/carport
  14. Base & steps for house (cinderblocks? or skip this)
  15. Landscaping
  16. Posts & railings for roof patio
    1. Roof patio decking? Tongue depressors?
  17. Prime & paint posts & railings of roof patio
  18. Make bifold doors for upper level
  19. Make floor to ceiling windows for upper level
  20. Make frames for all floor to ceiling windows
  21. Make sink cabinet for bathroom
  22. Make 'glass' door for shower
  23. Tile shower walls & soap niche (revise soap niche)
    1. Grout shower walls
  24. Lighting.
    1. Bathroom overhead (chains & bulb)
    2. Over front door
    3. On either side of bifold for roof patio
    4. Kitchen pendant lights
    5. Living room lights
    6. Light in upstairs office
    7. Bedroom lights
  25. Furniture for bedroom 
  26. Furniture for living room
  27. Spider plants in macrame holders for kitchen window?
  28. Install kitchen cabinets, faucet, appliances, backsplash & floating shelves
  29. Install bathroom fixtures
  30. Rugs & pillows
  31. Books
  32. Cats

Before I forget, the barn door wheels are like...grommets? I'm not sure, I got them a long time ago and lost the original packaging.  I've tried Lego wheels in the past and they didn't work nearly as well.  They're these things:


I didn't get as much accomplished this weekend as I'd hoped. Mostly because I spent what felt like half of each day doing something else.

But I did get a few little things accomplished.  Mostly things for the bathroom. 

Like the sink cabinet. I haven't put the faucet on yet. Mostly because I don't want to break it.  Faucets are one of those things I need to do very close to last because they can be really fragile. 


I decided to go with a grey similar to the kitchen cabinets. I painted the inside of the sink with a pearly white after sanding it as smooth as I could. The outside I painted with clear nail polish. The drain stop is a little brad with most of the pins cut down.


Some dark blue velvet left over from when I made curtains for my living room about nineteen years ago. (Yes. I hoard fabric. Among other things.) And some pearly white velvet. I think rolled up they make nice towels.

I've been thinking about a shelf for over the toilet. Something I could make out of the scrap wood I have with a mid century modern look to it.  I want to use it as a towel rack as well as a shelf so we have function and form.

And while I was thinking about that I made some shampoo, lotion, soap and cream bottles/jars.  

I used beads and metal findings from my stash along with earring backs and carefully sanded toothpicks. Drilling the holes in the toothpicks was one of the harder parts.




I want to get some brighter silver and paint over the darker silver metallic. I think it'll look nicer in the long run. But from left to right, face cream jar, soap pump, lotion pump, vase.

The vase I think will be nice on the shelf with a few cattails or some lavender. Have to see how it turns out.

But the other thing I did was re-do the soap/shampoo niche. I got some of the contact paper I used for the kitchen counter and the sink cabinet top and made a cardboard insert to replace the tiles. It pops more now and the bottles/soaps I put in there will show up easily.


And while I was at it, I painted the shower pan. I need to add another layer of paint but it looks good so far.


But that's pretty much the extent of my progress this weekend. Because as I said, half of each day was pretty much doing something else.

What was that something else you ask?

Good news!

We have someone who is going to work on the bathroom (finally). A different company.  Nice man and his brother, reccomended by the restoration firm that remediated the bathroom.

They came by on Saturday morning and we spent several hours talking about what we need done, what the insurance money would cover and the layout. They explained what would likely need to be reinforced in the flooring and what to do for the walls and everything.

Got the call with the quote this morning and went over it a bit. We're going to sign and give them half the money up front to buy the supplies and everything tomorrow night. And they hope to start as soon as the fifteenth. Which is awesome.

And they don't think it'll take more than two and a half weeks. Which is even more awesome.

Right now the only sticking point, and this has nothing to do with them and everything to do with me and my husband, is that we want to put a stackable washer/dryer back there instead of side by sides. Which isn't insurmountable but the washer door is usually very low and bending down is not my friend. (And bending is even less of a friend to my husband.)

So tomorrow we need to talk with the contractor about how to build out the 'laundry closet' and if it's possible to build up a little platform to put the washer/dryer combo on so the washer door isn't too low to the ground.

But honestly, it's a good problem to have. I'll take it over having nothing getting done and no prospect of anything besides nothing getting done any time soon.

9 comments:

  1. I just love the way the vanity came out, and the bottled essentials look amazing! I am so excited for you about the bathroom, and I hope they can come up with the perfect functioning solution for the washer/dryer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the bottles. It's wonderful about your bathroom. I hope it will be fixed and perfect for use.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila. Good progress - your bottle look fantastic and will be great scattered in the bathroom. So great to hear the bathroom will be fixed soon! I will keep fingers crossed it all goes without a hitch from here. And I am sure they can put your washer/ dryer up a bit higher. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For a 'I didn't get much accomplished' kind of week, I think you have made good progress!
    I just love the way you painted the bathroom sink - the mix of pearl and clear is just so classy.
    I hope your R.L. bathroom fix goes smoothly.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lo primero esperar que pronto tengas tu baño arreglado y tal como deseas!!!
    Tu lavabo y el tono del mueble, me gusta mucho como combinan los tonos y esos frascos han quedado preciosos! Has hecho un buen avance aunque no te lo parezca!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila. Thank you for showing the material for the barn door wheel. You are making steady progress and it´s looking sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i really like that sink, im going to need to make one for my diorama that I plan on building. thanks for sharting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila! The progress is all looking great! Sometimes it is hard to see the "end" when we are in the "middle" of a project! I think the revision of the bath niche is perfect... any other items would be lost on the shelf otherwise! The sink is very beautiful and the towels are looking good too! As you said, you have a lot going on so Any progress is good progress! I hope your RL retrofitting goes smoothly too! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  9. well done on getting such a lot done especially as you are doing battle in RL with a bathroom. We just moved our washing machine upstairs - unheard of in the UK - and love it. bit of lateral thinking and you will solve any issues and have the laundry you want.

    ReplyDelete