Sunday, November 28, 2021

Thanksgiving Weekend

Yay for four day weekends! It feels like it wasn't long enough but it never does. I've gotten some things accomplished though some of them were fiddly detailed things that really took a while. 

I started out with the barstools. I'd gotten the seats colored last weekend and I needed to get the legs done. I decided to go for a look I remember from childhood. With the leg screwheads showing on the seat. And metal feet which helped keep the chairs level. Earring backs coming in handy again.



But they looked a little unfinished and the general consensus was that they needed footrests. So I dug out my silver wire.


You can see the plastic cups holding the legs in place on two of the barstools. I needed something to keep the tension correct or the footrest would slide down and move the legs inwards. 

But it's a good look I think. Simple.

I spent quite a bit of Friday on the closet. Got everything glued in place and then added wallpaper. The glue tends to warp the wood and cardstock a bit so I used my square to keep everything in place.



I never have much luck hiding wires under wallpaper so I went and added it to all the walls. The flowered feature wall matches the one on the lower level. I think it's just enough of a pop of color. And it gives me more options for the furniture upholstery than blue.

The outside of the bathroom wall

The reverse of the same wall

The inside of the container door half wall in the bedroom

The first floor feature wall

The inside of the exterior bathroom wall

Since I had the closet pretty much done I made some hangers. They'll look better with clothing on them.


And with no other reason to delay I hung the barn doors on the walls. I think they look pretty good. Modern industrial-ish?

The bathroom door

The closet doors.

And on Friday my Shapeways order arrived and I got started on the living room light.  I love Jodi's lights and so I ordered her Moonbeam lamp and shade


I didn't want to do silver or blue again. And with all the color on the feature walls I decided to do red.  

I covered the shade with some of the scrapbook paper coordinating with the feature wall. And I painted the lamp base with Americana Country Red


I liked the color with the paper on the shade but I didn't like the matte look. So I added clear nail polish. The thickness of it fills in some of the roughness from the plastic and tends to self level so it looks much smoother and shiny.


The hardest part was finding some place to put it to dry where I wouldn't knock it over. (I'm very talented at being a klutz.)

Once it dried (and once I found my length of chain) I added a pull to turn it on and off.


I began the laborious process of adding the steal locking mechanisms and fasteners to the container doors while the lamp dried.  At the rate I'm going through head pins I'll end up needing to order another box. 


Six each for this holder...eight of this type... two for the narrower holders and eight of those... Sixty four pins. 

And then carefully added the holders to the locking poles (rods? posts? I have no clue) for which I used aluminum tubes.




I marked out where I wanted to attach them to the door and got everything glued down. And then because the aluminum just wouldn't stay entirely straight I used clamps to hold them down.


But they came out all right.


The handles took a little more thought but I figured something out for them Sunday morning.


Looks sorta like a container door doesn't it? 

I did a dry fit of the whole shebang before I attached all the 'metal fittings' to the doors because I didn't trust myself to do it afterwards. I mean, it's glue, cardboard, aluminum, wood and plastic. Not exactly super sturdy.



I have a little bit of work to do on the roof and how it fits but so far so good.

I glued in the windows and door to the first floor since it was going to be very difficult to get them in after I glued all the walls together. And I glued the handles to the front door.

Since I need to mark the ceiling for the lights on the first floor I added handles to the kitchen cabinets and glued the kitchen in.



I tested the barstools height under the breakfast bar but I neglected to take a picture. 

The last thing I did was cut up some of the kit's MDF for steps to the front door and the foundation.  Some of the pieces I had leftover from another kit so my hoarding paid off. Then I painted them with gravel texture spray paint.



 And I cut the supports for the carport/upper level out of wood and painted them.


The bathroom work continues. We're a few days behind schedule because the hot water heater is backordered. It's supposed to be in tomorrow.  But hopefully by the end of the week we'll be done. 

So I got few things crossed off the list.

  1. Support beams for the ceilings of the upper and lower level.
  2. Build the corners of the containers 
  3. Paint the corners of the containers
  4. Glue corners to the long walls.
  5. Glue in flooring for the upper level, stain and sand it.
    1. Figure out bathroom flooring & put it in.
  6. Build the bathroom wall
  7. Build the closet
  8. Build transom windows for upper level
  9. Fold & prime the corner lift pieces
  10. Make the four handles for the container doors
  11. Stain closet & Bathroom doors - convert to barn doors
  12. Cut the roof
  13. Prime the walls, roof & stairs
  14. Paint the walls & roof
  15. Make supports for the overhang/carport
  16. Base & steps for house (cinderblocks? or skip this)
  17. Landscaping?
  18. Posts & railings for roof patio
    1. Roof patio decking? Tongue depressors?
  19. Prime & paint posts & railings of roof patio
  20. Make bifold doors for upper level
  21. Make floor to ceiling window for lower level
  22. Make floor to ceiling windows for upper level
  23. Make frames for all floor to ceiling windows
  24. Install stairs
  25. Wallpaper
  26. Make sink cabinet for bathroom
    1. Attach faucet
  27. Towel rack/shelves for bathroom
  28. Make 'glass' door for shower
  29. Tile shower walls & soap niche (revise soap niche)
    1. Grout shower walls
  30. Lighting.
    1. Bathroom overhead (chains & bulb)
    2. Over front door
    3. On either side of bifold for roof patio
    4. Kitchen pendant lights
    5. Living room lights
    6. Light in upstairs office
    7. Bedroom lights
    8. Install lights
  31. Furniture for bedroom 
  32. Furniture for living room
  33. Add handles to kitchen cabinets
  34. Install kitchen cabinets, faucet, appliances, backsplash & floating shelves
  35. Install bathroom fixtures
  36. Rugs & pillows
  37. Books
  38. Cats
And I need to get going on my Christmas shopping too. Just what I needed. One more thing to do!

Only 19 more days to the deadline!

4 comments:

  1. Que bien has aprovechado el fin de semana de acción de gracias!! Me gusta como todo va cogiendo forma y color, se ve muy auténtico, esos taburetes están geniales y las puertas de los contenedores,la cocina...fantástico todo!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! And just like that, it all starts coming together! How exciting! Wow… only 19 days? I doubt I’ll get my entry done. But maybe. The hardware on the container doors really looks great and very convincing, and I like the addition of the colour in the wallpaper and lamp. It allows for a lot more decorating options, as you mention. Good luck Sheila for the last days - you’ve got this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sheila! I think you made Awesome Progress!!! The bar stools look perfect with those metal footrests and feet! The metal locking bars for the doors are just amazing! The wallpapers you chose will add a lovely amount of contrast to the blue and gray of the interior and the lamps in bright red will be the perfect accent! I think the whole project looks just amazing! I don't know how you manage to keep on track and get so much accomplished in one long weekend! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the bar stools. What you've done so far, with the limited time you had is incredible. I love following your progress on this project.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete