Sunday, October 31, 2021

First Week of Work & Last Week Of Insane Doll Housing

Fair warning, this is a long, picture heavy post...

Here's the updated list...I managed to cross a few things off of it. But I have less than a month and a half and I have the feeling that I'm going to be working up until the very end of the deadline.

  1. Support beams for the ceilings of the upper and lower level.
  2. Build the corners of the containers and glue them to the long walls.
  3. Glue in flooring for the upper level, stain and sand it.
    1. Figure out bathroom flooring & put it in.
  4. Build the bathroom wall
  5. Build the closet
  6. Build transom windows for upper level
  7. Fold & prime the corner lift pieces
  8. Make the four handles for the container doors
  9. Stain closet & Bathroom doors - convert to barn doors
  10. Cut the roof
  11. Prime the walls, roof & stairs
  12. Paint the walls & roof
  13. Make supports for the overhang/carport
  14. Base & steps for house (cinderblocks? or skip this)
  15. Landscaping
  16. Posts & railings for roof patio
    1. Roof patio decking? Tongue depressors?
  17. Prime & paint posts & railings of roof patio
  18. Make bifold doors for upper level
  19. Make floor to ceiling windows for upper level
  20. Make frames for all floor to ceiling windows
  21. Make sink cabinet for bathroom
  22. Make 'glass' door for shower (Do shower curtain instead?)
  23. Tile shower walls & soap niche
    1. Grout shower walls
  24. Lighting.
    1. Bathroom overhead (chains & bulb)
    2. Over front door
    3. On either side of bifold for roof patio
    4. Kitchen pendant lights
    5. Living room lights
    6. Light in upstairs office
    7. Bedroom lights
  25. Furniture for bedroom 
  26. Furniture for living room
  27. Spider plants in macrame holders for kitchen window?
  28. Install kitchen cabinets, faucet, appliances, backsplash & floating shelves
  29. Install bathroom fixtures
  30. Rugs & pillows
  31. Books
  32. Cats

Started the new job on the 25th. Very nice people, wonderful woman trained me for two days straight before she had to go back to the main accounting office and she's made sure I know that she's available for help.

It's weird being hourly but at the same time its nice because every salary job I've had, I've ended up stressed and working way too much.

The week before I started work I worked constantly on the Container House. It suddenly occured to me that I have not a lot of time left. But I'm slowly whittling down the list.

One of the big things was getting all the walls primed and painted. The concrete on my front porch is also primed and painted due to the spray paint and primer.




I still have a few other things that need painting and some of the walls need some touch ups but for the most part the painting is done.

I am happy to say that I finished tiling the shower walls and the shampoo niche. 






Grout and sealant is the next step.  I just finished the tile this weekend. And wow. Every time I do something like this I remind myself that they make really nice 'tile' wallpaper that will save my back and eyes.

But it's soooooo pretty...

Ahem...

The upstairs floors are another finished task. Mostly. I only need to add a little transition metal plate between the wood and tile.  I used a vinyl tile with a marble pattern for the bathroom floor and cut it into one inch squares.

The bedroom/sitting area got the tongue depressor treatment just like the main floor. 






I like how it looks so far.  The wood floor is a little darker than the downstairs but I think that's fine for a bedroom.

I built the bathroom wall. And tested out the barn door for it. So far so good. Still debating wallpaper choices. 



With all these cuts and angles I'm really grateful for the power saw. It goes through MDF really easily. It makes it a lot easier to use pieces of the kit's MDF.  Though I do need to keep the upper level as light as possible so most of the MDF is on the lower level.

The closet and doors took me a bit of time and ended up slightly wider than I'd originally pictured but I like how it looks.







I need to adjust one wall slightly to cover the gap made by the doors but other than that, I love it.

And just because I had them and I like the idea of a 'closet system' I got my little drawers and a cube shelf and tested out the wonderful shoes and purse I got from Patrizia Santi's store. Her original instagram disappeared so if you used to follow her go and find her again because she's got some awesome stuff out!



I might switch out the purse on the right with one from NOLA House just to get a bit more color in there. 

I tested out some more wallpaper but I still haven't made any decisions yet. I really need to bite the bullet and figure it out. 




I like the colorful aspect of the first one. It has a lot of the same colors as the floral one I like so much.  The last one...It's a little too plain I think.

The other thing I did was the angled transom windows for over the container doors and the exterior bathroom wall. Geometry and I don't get along but I managed to figure it out.


And the last thing... I started working on the cabinet for the sink in the bathroom. I'm bashing a Dry Sink House of Miniatures kit and modernizing it a bit.


I'm going to leave off most of the curved trim work and only use one drawer and the cabinet door. 



I sanded the top of the cabinet so that the vessel sink fit a bit better and I'll get some veneer to cover the joins of the shelves and sides.  I think I'll also get a piece of the 'marble' tile I used for the floors and do the countertop under the sink with it. Or maybe the white glitter contact paper I used for the kitchen counters. Still thinking about that one.

But that's some progress. Not a lot when I consider the list but I'll get it done.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Halloween!  And here are a few Halloween themed pics that seem appropriate.












8 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila! Your progress on the container house is looking fantastic! I agree.... your tiles are So Pretty! I think it is worth the effort for such results! And the walls look great painted black like that. It is starting to really feel like "container" walls! :) I love the way your floorboards turned out too. And the closet system is awesome! Love the barn door rollers!( And Patrizia's purses too!) Keep up the great work, it is really inspiring to watch!!! Oh, and Happy Halloween!!! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tiles are beautiful. That was a lot of progress for such a short time and a great work. Your Halloween scenes are wonderful.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila,has hecho grandes avances! tus azulejos se ven fantásticos, vale la pena el tiempo invertido y me gustan mucho la especie de rodillos que le has puesto a la puerta de granero,yo hice una y no estoy contenta con los que le puse.
    La transformación del kit para el mueble de lavabo tiene muy buen aspecto. Ánimo que en tu lista ya no quedan tantas cosas!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have done a lot!! I love long entries showing lots of things, so well done! That list might seem a little bit daunting but I have no doubt you will get there as always. Love you ideas, love the execution, I want to see more of this fantastic project. And I would like to know what do you use as wheels for your barn doors, they´re fun! All the best in your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sheila! You really did accomplish so much with your time! All those tiles really were a labor of love but they look so fantastic that it was time well spent! I can't wait to see them pop when the grout is applied! I love the sink conversion, too, and both the wood flooring and the tiles came out nice! I love the sliding doors and can't wait to see all the features you've packed into this build come together! I have seen you do amazing things in very little time over the years, so I have zero doubt that you'll make the deadline and submit an incredible project!
    P.S. - I am glad you like the new job and that it gives you more free time. On their death beds, no one ever wishes they'd worked more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila - you really have managed an insane amount of work on the house!! The floors and wall tiling looks absolutely fabulous. I know you have showed those sliding doors in a previous post and I love them just as much this time. The revamp of the dry sink is very clever - you would never know it was not always meant to be a unit for a modern bathroom. Well done.
    I have no doubt at all that you will make the deadline.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. im impressed with the closet, love the shoes and purses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm following your build on Instagram but it was lovely to see it all in sequence here. Blogs are special and I love reading yours.

    ReplyDelete