Sunday, June 27, 2021

Cabinets & Stairs

 This weekend I decided to do a dry fit of the first floor walls and make sure that my kitchen cabinets and countertop fit into the area properly.

A few adjustments later and I decided to glue the cabinets together.  The uppers go all the way to the ceiling which begins at the wooden channel at the top of the walls.

I don't plan to glue anything into place for a while. I have to get the floors down and a template for the backsplash before anything can be set in permanently.




I'm actually debating the size of the window over the sink. It's so big. I wondered if I moved the bottom of the frame up, keeping the width but making the height a little shorter how it would look.

Because as it is there isn't much of a backsplash in the kitchen. So I'm debating a bit about the window size. I could also make it narrower and put some open shelves next to the door.

I'd have to redo my front wall but I don't know that it would be such a bad thing.

I've been thinking about flooring. I saw some gorgeous wood on a HGTV remodeling show.  It had these gorgeous greyish tones with oak and I thought it would look beautiful with the cabinets.


Isn't that pretty? That's the closest I can get to what I saw.  So I thought I'd use tongue depressors for boards, do some ebony and grey on them, sand them down and do oak on top to see if I can get the same effect.

That's an experiment for next week.

The other debate is whether or not to do a herringbone floor with those wide modern looking planks or just keep it simple and straight? With the herringbone it wouldn't be so obvious that I was using tongue depressors because the length would be somewhat disguised.  Opinions?

You all know my hopes for the stairs. I have the straight stairs that came with the kit (or the fittings that match the kit anyway). I've got the gorgeous curved stairs from Marion's shop on Shapeways.



See my problem?  Both of them take up sooooo much floor space. So I think we'll be going with one of my homemade spiral stair cases.  I've still got quite a few fan blades and beads so I did a little test run.



I think that I could make some different steps using my Cricut. I'll experiment with that some during the week too.

I've got a plan for the ceiling/roof of the lower level.  The first dollhouse I did for the Creatin' Contest was back in 2015.  In order to run wires through the walls I made them similar to a wall in a real house, with balsa '2x4s' between thin basswood panels.

I can do the same thing with the lower level ceiling/roof and that'll give me places to run my wiring for the lights.

So even with a few little set backs we're clicking along.

In other news we've finally gotten folks out to start the process of remediation and remodel/reconstruction of the back bathroom where we had all the water leaks in February. Yes, it's taken this long. Because pretty much everyone in Texas is in the same boat. 

I hope everyone is having a great weekend!

5 comments:

  1. I love the kitchen cabinets. I'm sure the floor boards will be perfect.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! I understand what you mean about the size of the kitchen window, to get a good relationship among both windows, I think the lower window is perhaps just a little bit too high..?
    The color of that 'blonde' floor parts is just gorgeous, it would be a nice addition: warm and it will have a nice contrast to the wood of the cabinets. But would a herrinbone pattern floor not be too much? Personally, I would keep it simple and straight, but that's up to you, Sheila.
    Both of the stairs are beautiful, but indeed they take a lot of space in this kitchen, so it's for you to figure out what to do with this issue, but your selfmade spiral (modern style) stairs would be a good option...
    Oh my goodness, that took a long time for reconstruction of the bathroom where you had all the water leaks in February :O!! I hope it will be done WELL, but also quick!
    Stay well, dear Sheila.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kitchen with the cabinets and the layout look amazing, Sheila! It is a hard decision about the backsplash/window, but you could always make the second wall, take photos and decide which you like best. That way, there will never be a question of regret.
    I like the straight stairs with the container style of the house, I think for the reason that squares and rectangles are more in line architecturally. But this is minis so we get to do what we want and I know in the end you'll have it looking perfect!
    I hope all the bathroom repairs go well and quick! It will be so nice for you guys just to have that whole drama in the rearview!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila! I Love the way the kitchen looks!!! That fridge has me wishing for one in glittery black! LOL! The window question is a good one... maybe fill it with kitchen herbs? If the "view" outside is beautiful... (a beach, a forest glade...) then keep it big... otherwise the need for kitchen gadget storage might win. A single tall window right in front of the sink might work, as would the higher "clerestory" windows. Personally, I believe sinks must have windows over them... so the dishes will get done! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's looking gorgeous. I agree with smaller kitchen window.

    ReplyDelete