Saturday, July 3, 2021

Stairs

 So quick post about the stairs. I've been looking into options... Jodi suggested another container on it's end so it could be a stairwell.  Which I like. It just increases my footprint and that's not a good thing for me because I need a place to put this when it's finished. 

But it's something to keep in mind for certain.

I put my dilemma up on Instagram and got a suggestion of the stairs  with a slight turn, extending over the side wall.  Unfortunately the side wall is actually the container doors.  Since I went to a lot of trouble to make sure they'd open I'd like to keep them that way.

So I considered maybe doing one of the doors stationary and the other opening and making a squared spiral stair. Yeah that sounds weird I know. But do a search and oh yeah images come up.

I want a mid-century modern feel to the home, so I love the stairs without risers. The straight stairs are the perfect look but they obviously won't fit.

In exploring my options for stairs that have a minimal footprint I came across these.



I like them a lot. They're a bit sculptural and remind me of Marion's Spiral stairs that I love so much.  and they're minimalist which fits the look of the house.


I like these too, though doing that curved central post could be an issue. Something to think about though. All these options above have the railing along the central post though which has a very clean look.

This is a slightly different look and I like them, especially the railing and the look of the spindles. It reminds me a lot of Mid Century Modern stairs with the vertical slats.

Like these:




Something like this requires a lot of open space though and I don't want the house to feel cramped.

I was debating changing the windows over the kitchen counter, which would mean redoing the front wall anyway. If I change the windows on the other side of the front door it would give me a bit more space to work with.

No matter what, before I cut the ceiling/roof I need to have the stairs figured out.

Soo...the debate continues.

Hope you're all having a nice weekend!



8 comments:

  1. I've never heard about this kind of stairs too, but I love the idea. I like much the square spiral stairs on the 4th picture, Sheila, it has the industrial modern look of your project. Probably it won't take in much space indeed and it will be not too difficult to build.....but I'm not sure about this, youll have to find out.
    Good luck with choosing one, who will fit and won't be too difficult to make.
    Have a lovely Sunday.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! What a great post on a complicated and fascinating topic! I think you should use spiral stairs, possibly the ones Marilyn designed, but capitalize on the space under them for a seating nook. My Dad (an architect) built a set of the open suspended style stairs along the wall of their living room, and had seating tucked underneath. It was functional without losing the open feeling of both the stairs and the sitting space because the stairs were only solid plank steps suspended on one end by vertical "wire" supports. Light came through and they were very sculptural. And when one is sitting down, headroom is not a problem! I think the spiral could work this way too... position the base just right and the turn can go up over a seating area, keeping the space fairly open. I do agree that the stairs from the kit are too solid and bulky, but clearly there are many other options... including an "almost ladder" steep stair like they have on boats.... I know you will come up with a great solution in the end! You always do! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those red stairs, Sheila. To me they ooze of shipping container, repurpose.
    I confess to be lagging behind keeping up with your project so I will need to go back and see where they are going and the 'Marilyn stairs' you and Betsy refer to.

    What I love about the design of the red stairs, is the powder coated steal structure but more importantly and angled support beam, especially the way is it placed in the first picture, coming from the corner. It makes it look very sculptural. You could still do the vertical slat thing that you like from floor to ceiling on one side if you wanted too.
    Have fun.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many awesome and exciting ideas! Can't wait to see what you pick!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of these inspiration photos! I have no suggestions to give you because, with such lovely choices, I would never be able to make up my mind. In the end, I know you will choose one that is absolutely perfect for your build and will do an awesome job of making them! Cheers. - Marilyn D.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the stairs on photo 2 but the ones in photo 3 also look nice and are probably much easier to make.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Decisions, decisions. I'm sure you're going to find something that ticks all the boxes for you, or you will design your own hybrid staircase that fits the space.

    ReplyDelete