Sunday, December 6, 2020

Book Nook Part II

Haven't been feeling too hot this weekend.  Weather going up and down always throws my sinuses out of wack and I didn't have a lot of energy.

So I did a lot of little things this weekend.  My husband has always been awesome about printing things for me since I don't have a color printer.  Taking into account some feedback I got about Dresden I found some Coke can images and figured out a way to make cans.

I actually managed to do a little tutorial.  It might be helpful.  

You'll need printed images in whatever size you want your coke cans to be. I went with about a half inch high.


I had a dowel about the size of a pencil so I used that but again, whatever size works for you.


Sand the edges so they're smooth. 

Next you'll need aluminum foil.  Cut two small pieces large enough to fit over the ends of the dowel piece.



Cut the corners off and cut into the edge so it lies flat against the sides of the dowel once it's glued on.


Use a strong glue to attach the aluminum foil to the ends and smooth it down the sides as much as possible.  Make sure you use the dull side of the foil, not the super shiny side.


I tend to use Weld-Bond. It seems to hold pretty much anything.


The image I use has some extras that I didn't feel were strictly needed.  So I cut them off and only used this for my label and top.


Put your glue on the back side and wrap it around the dowel. Use the black tabs and UPC code first and wrap the label around so the nutritional information is the last part to be glued down.  The press the top down onto the end of the dowel.

You may find some white from the back of the label showing if you sanded your dowel down too much.  The excess glue should be enough to press the label down so none of the back shows.




They're not perfect but they look like beat up coke cans and I think they'll suit my purpose.

I also made some more books this weekend.






Since the workroom/laboratory is in a sub basement I figured a concrete floor would be suitable.  I need to make a protective circle in brass or gold or something, so hopefully the Cricut will be helpful with that.  

I used a gravel texture paint to get a concrete look.  I like it a lot, used the same stuff for the sidewalk in front of NOLA House.



I also got some labels printed and glued them to jars.  


I went through my flower making supplies and filled the jars once the labels dried.  


I dug out the mortar and pestles I'd ordered.  I like the wooden and metal ones. I doubt I'll use the porcelain one but it's pretty.


I decided to try a new method of candle making this time around. I thought it would be easier than hollowing out a dowel.  

I dug out some straws and cut them into different lengths, then coated them with hot glue.






I primed them with gesso and then painted them Warm White.  I was a little worried the red would still show through when I put the lights in.



It doesn't seem as if it will but when I tested them...


I spent a lot of time on them (not to mention burnt fingers) so I'll try to line the interior with some paper or cardstock to mute the red effect.

I've got plans to make a trap door in the ceiling over the stairs similar to NOLA House in order to make it look like the room has an entrance.

I also need to make sure my pictures for the 2020 Creatin' Contest are good. Only a few more days to enter.

Hope you all had a great weekend!






5 comments:

  1. Wow, Sheila! You've done some incredible minis for your book nook. I'm sorry your sinuses don't agree with the weather. Thank you so much for the printable tut and for all your wonderful tips in this post.
    I wish you quick recovery.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. This coca cola can tutorial is great, Sheila, thank you so much for sharing it.
    Wow, since a while you've made already so many books, where from do you get the energy to even make more...;)?? They look fantastic though.
    What a great effect has the concrete floor, nice result!
    What a pity that the color did show through the candles, I hope you can still fix it by using an extra layer of something inside.
    Hope you're feeling better soon, take care, dear Sheila.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. For someone not feeling so good, you have had an immensely productive week.
    The stash of Coke cans looks great and so do the books. Looking at yours, I don't think I have been putting enough pages in mine - I always get a kink in them when I clip them while drying.
    I can't believe that floor is paint! It is awesome.
    The candles are fab. Great I idea with the straws but a shame you didn't have any white ones and now have to fiddle around with lining them
    Hope the weather pick up and you feel better soon.
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This seems like a really ambitious weekend of mini projects to me! Love the soda can tutorial and the experimenting with candles. The jars came out great and I am excited to see the book nook come together! As a fellow sinus issue sufferer, I feel your pain and hope the bout passes quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I love the books. They are perfect. And candles too.
    Cans look great too. Thank you for shering the tutorial. :)

    ReplyDelete