Saturday, December 12, 2020

Quoth the Raven, Nevermore - Submitted!

 So I got my entry to the Creatin' Contest submitted.  I'm excited. I almost forgot you know?

But here is my entry and the pictures.

Quoth the raven, nevermore… The windows lent themselves perfectly to a book roombox.  My husband loves Edgar Allen Poe and the idea of the unreliable narrator which Poe pretty much perfected.  So I decided to create the ‘Chamber’ of the fellow in ‘The Raven’.  Reading a tome of forgotten lore and seeing a raven on the bust of Pallas.  The desk of course has a tome, papers, and lamp, along with some photographs.  The drapes match the poem, purple silk, a bit tattered, along with the dying embers of the fire. The plaster ceiling and dark wainscoting give the room (along with the fireplace and dark shelves) a gothic Victorian feel.

The floor is a herringbone of popsicle sticks cut and stained, while the fireplace is made of some corbels, wood, foam core board and matboard painted to look like stone.  The built-in shelves began as simple purchased bookshelves, embellished and stained to fill the fireplace wall.  And then I filled them with books, some purchased and some handmade.  On the shelves, desk, fireplace and filling the rest of the room are pieces inspired by Poe’s stories.  A gold bug, a message in a bottle, a box of teeth, a hot air balloon, a cask of amontillado, a tell tale heart, a black cat, the purloined letter and a magnifying glass.  And of course, the bust of Pallas Athena with a raven on top of her.

And because Poe was known to be something of a drinker (and broke a lot of the time) there are bottles of various alcoholic libations.  A couple of books replace the chaise’s broken leg with a bottle and glass of absinthe handily close.  Over the fireplace there are portraits of Poe and his beloved Lenore.





I feel good that I didn't forget to enter.  

Hope your Saturdays are going well.  I'm going to get back to the booknook!  I've got an idea for the candles that I think might work.  Paper inside the straws did not block the red glow sadly.







 

 


4 comments:

  1. The photos are excellent. I'm holding my fingers crossed for you to win.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW, your entry is gorgeous, Sheila, and so good to see it again! I enjoyed the time you were creating this roombox. I'll cross my fingers for you!!!
    I'm curoius to see how you solved the candle problem.
    Take care, dear Sheila!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck Sheila. It’s a gorgeous room and a great idea.

    ReplyDelete