Sunday, November 29, 2020

Book Nook - Dresden Files Style

 So an old friend and I reconnected on Facebook and now and then we'll message each other.  I'm not a huge Facebook person but I'll link my blog to it and post some progress pics to a group I like.

Instant messages are great but sometimes with me they're not so instant because I don't have Facebook on my phone.

My old friend is a huge sci-fi and fantasy fan. We used to play D&D together if that gives you an idea?  And he asked if I would be able to make a bookshelf insert in some sort of fantasy style.

Uhh... hello?


He hadn't seen my blog, only the pics I share on Facebook.  So the WQRC came as a surprise to him.

But end result, I said sure, I'll give it a try.  Since I'm mostly using things that I have it won't cost a lot because he can't afford the two hundred dollar Etsy book nooks.

He's a big fan of the Dresden File books by Jim Butcher.  Harry Dresden is a wizard for hire. In Chicago which I love.  I have a bunch of the books though I haven't read them in a while.  So I'm doing a book nook of the Wizard's Laboratory/Workroom.  Harry Dresden lives in a garden apartment and the workroom is in a sub-basement.

He has a skull named Bob who's a bit of a perv and reads romance novels.  Little Things of Interest had a sale so I got a set of novels for Bob and I had some skulls too.


I also bought some downloadable book kits and worked on them this weekend.


My plan is to have the stairs go out of sight around a little corner.  The one thing he asked was that the nook light up somehow so I'll hide the battery pack in the corner too.


I'm debating if I want to do a false wall, something thin, on a slight angle for the right side of the box because without diagonal wall it'll be hard to see everything on the shelves.  What do you think?

I'm using a gravel texture for the floor and I'll do the walls in brick.  I can't do the walls just yet because I might want to put wires under the bricks. Have to see.

But I decided that since it is a Wizard's basement workshop, a dragon statue (or maybe not) would be appropriate.  So I picked out one of my dragons and primed him.



Since the building is older I'll have some support beams on the ceiling.  But I decided to do the tongue depressor planks so it would look like an old sub-basement.  



I taped some scraps the same width as the walls in place so I wouldn't go over the borders and make my walls not fit once I got the ceiling glued down. 

It's a much smaller ceiling than the WQRC so I got everything glued down today.


I'll use a couple of different stains and make it look aged.  The beams will go along the sides, butting up against the walls.  And I'll likely do the beams a bit darker.  I figure the steps on the stairs will semi match the ceiling while the stringers will be more of a match to the beams.

I've got a cauldron, a tea kettle, books, and I'll make some candles with drippy wax to go near Bob.  I need to keep an eye out for 1:12 tupperware type stuff.

Harry also keeps his notes in some green spiral notebooks and I found some of those on Etsy!  Very excited.


The cookies and candy apples are just for me because hey Sale!  

With luck I'll have more progress next week.  I hope you all had a lovely weekend and a Happy Thanksiving!




8 comments:

  1. What a great start to the book-nook. Can't wait to see what happens next!
    Anna X

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic new project, Sheila, absolutely challenging and it will be soooo nice to do. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with these writer, nor his books, but you described it all so well and lively so I can imagine what way you'll create this job for a friend. It looks great already and I can't wait tot see more of it all.
    Stay safe, take care, dear Sheila.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a fun project and one with which you'll get to use the creativity that pours out from your pores! Sorry, that wasn't very punny, lol!
    Your friend is going to be blown away and so happy with the book nook!

    ReplyDelete
  4. FoE here! I love Dresden Files, and just recently binged the whole series before the new two books came out. Can I offer a couple of suggestions?? You could have the copper circle in the floor...Harry loves his coke so if you have any coke cans, or brown bottles without a label for Mac’s brown ale. Maybe his staff standing propped in a corner? I’m so excited for all the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. FoE here! I love Dresden Files, and just recently binged the whole series before the new two books came out. Can I offer a couple of suggestions?? You could have the copper circle in the floor...Harry loves his coke so if you have any coke cans, or brown bottles without a label for Mac’s brown ale. Maybe his staff standing propped in a corner? I’m so excited for all the possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is going to be interesting! I'll follow with pleasure from start to finish.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok. Dragon. That's what I love. I can't wait to see your project finished. Your work with the touch of fantasy - that will be wonderful, I'm sure of that.

    ReplyDelete