Monday, April 25, 2022

A New Commission

 You all remember my 'Magic Tea Party' lantern right? 


I brought it to the office to show one of my coworkers because she loves things that light up. And she asked if I could make one with birds in it for her.

Well of course!

So here we go. First the wire and wood skeleton covered with the liquid rubber. (It really does look like a skeleton.)


Then the layer of primer/gesso.  Still a bit skeletal.


Then paint. First black, then dark brown over it and then dry brushing a lighter brown over that just to bring out the texture.



Of course, all of this had to dry, and in between I added vines and grass to the lantern.



Then I was able to add the greenery. And one of the birds that my coworker had requested.




The bird had to be adjusted a bit, nothing ever really seems to work right the first time. And of course, getting the tree inside the lantern is never easy. But I managed.

A few flowers, some dirt and grass around the roots and another couple of birds on a rock and sitting on a tree root.


And I also used my long tweezers to push the silver wire out of sight. The less visible it is the better.

Here's a little close up of the birds. 


My coworker loved it!

In other news, I'm doing a few little things for the bathroom now and then. I don't want to spend entire weekends working on it but it does still need some stuff.

I started to work on my Creatin' Contest kit, although I don't have any pictures yet. I have a firm idea though. And I've pretty much figured out how I'll make it work. 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila! I just love this creative lamp with the bird theme! It's so much fun to make a mini scene for someone else and share the mini joy with them. Your tree is wonderful and so are the vines! I bet it looks magical all lit up in darkened room!
    Can't wait to see your ideas for the Creatin' Contest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila. Good to see some creating going on and progress on the bathroom. I look forward to seeing the creatin contest entry! And love the lantern, very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the lantern! The tree looks fantastic with foliage and the bird. Great work!
    It will be wonderful to follow your contest. Best luck!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sheila! The new lantern is delightful! The different season (from winter) makes a whole different look with the green and the birds! These are such a fun little project! It would be such a fun thing to have on your desk at work! (Hmmmm... what a good idea! LOL!) I am glad you are getting some work done on your creatin contest kit, and I look forward to seeing what you are building! :):)

    ReplyDelete