Sunday, July 19, 2020

Siding & Front Elevation

So this was a weird weekend for me.  I didn't get a lot of sleep on Saturday night so even though I got a lot done during the day I didn't get very much accomplished on Sunday.  At least not in my opinion.

I added a 'foundation' to the room, using some textured brick paper I had left over from the WQRC tower.


And as you can see I got my siding cut out.


I painted them and waited for everything to dry then added the siding to the right and left side of the room.


And while I waited for the glue to dry I went and researched what I want the front to look like.  I came up with some ideas, and some of the folks on Facebook suggested that the music rooms they've been in open onto gardens with French doors.  Which gave me the idea of a pergola and some steps below it.  I could make a climbing vine with some flowers to go on it, and maybe do a garden to go in front of the room later.

So, pergola it was.


I added siding to the top and corner trim to the sides of the front. 


So I tried out the supports but they ended up too low.



See? A bit too low.  Slight adjustment needed.



I played around with the steps.  And came up with something I like.  I'll likely paint them white.  I've made them so they attach with magnets in case I want to move them around or do something different for the front.


I also did a mock up of the roof.  Cardboard since I didn't want to waste my basswood. I need to adjust the dimensions some but I like the look at least.

One other thing I did this weekend.  I finally succumbed, seduced by Jodi's amazing kitchens, and ordered a Cricut on Saturday.  It was supposed to arrive on Monday along with a list of the things Jodi suggested I would need.

It arrived on today (Sunday) and after only getting six hours sleep I was in no condition to attempt setup or doing anything more complex than clearing a spot on my worktable (aka the dining room table) to put the box.  I'm excited but I'm also exhausted so I don't want to start anything too complex.


I added some poly semi gloss to the floors and trim inside.  I like how the room looks.  Now I'm going through my things for the shelves and decide on the rug.




I hope you all had a great weekend!


8 comments:

  1. I love the French doors. They are perfect for a music room. The pergolas turned out well, and the idea of a climbing vine sounds beautiful! And congratulations on the Cricut! I can't wait to see what you make with it, but I can totally understand waiting until you are a little more rested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to what you get up to once the Cricut is set up and going!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you got quite a lot accomplished to me! The siding color is so pretty, and I love it with the brick color on the foundation! The support brackets for the pergola are so ingenious! I love how you've used the various components to make them up! And the pergola itself is such a lovely entrance to the music room!
    Hooray and Yippee on getting the Maker!!! And so quickly! The best way to get excited about setting it up and getting started is to watch a bunch of the videos. A nice activity after a long, exhausting day at work! Have fun and get some good rest this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pergola looks great, perfect with the french doors. Love the colour too.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you have accomplished a lot after less sleep, dear Sheila, even with your always present speed ;)! The music room looks majestic, firstly the color scheme, the pianos, chandeliers, now the pergola,, which is such a chic addition! The outside is just perfectly made for this room, but I am curious what you'll do for the garden and steps.
    I'm so curious that I can't wait to see your achievements with the Cricut machine, good luck with it en enjoy!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Sheila!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great progress Sheila. I do like your pergola. Very pretty. This feels very summery to me and look forward to seeing it with some plants and landscaping. X

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheila! I have fallen way behind on my comments...! I think you have made a ton of progress! And the pergola is an amazing idea to add at the last minute! LOL! I think it looks great and when it has plants on it I'm sure it will be a scene stealer! People will stop to admire the pergola and eventually realize there is a stunning music room beyond it! The lighting looks great through the windows, and the siding is a great color choice! You are really good at decisions.... me, I dither for months! I really look forward to seeing more! :) Oh, and The Cricut appears to be an awesome tool...... I look forward to seeing what you make with it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's simply DREAMY Sheila!
    I ADORE the look of the trellis over the french doors and I LOVE the supports you've installed - totally Marvellous!
    Adding a garden with the pergola will be FAB because it feels like a natural segue for you elegant music room and I can already imagine sitting outside listening to the the music lessons or the professional quartett or the guest singer performing for an appreciative audience - pure bliss!

    ReplyDelete