Sunday, April 21, 2019

Shower & Doors

This was a kind of odd weekend.  With the holiday I got Friday off, which was nice.  I was lazy a bit more than I intended to be though.

I got the posts for the balcony railing painted finally.


They actually look a bit brighter here than they actually are.  I'm painting the railings now.

Then I started to work on the shower.  I'd ordered tiles from Jodi's Shapeways shop.  They were a bit too tall for the shorter wall of the loft so I cut them down some.  I used some putty for grout and painted it white then primed the tiles and painted them with a pearly cream.

The shower pan is bass wood cut to size and primed with gesso.  I used a tiny washer and thumbtack painted black and then metallic brown for the drain.



I made sure I had wallpaper in my stash for the living quarters of the shop.  It's different enough from the main shop and cheerful.


I'll make some paneling out of basswood for the lower portion of the walls.

I also worked on the door to the living quarters and made a simple doorknob.


I finished the main doors to the shop so the outer portions also have kickplates now.


I'm still thinking about the color for the outside of the shop.

But after I got that done I started to work on the trim for the single bookcases so I could make them resemble the triple bookcases.

During this process I managed to slice my thumb open.  That was fun. Dripping blood, trying to clean it out and find the band aides which are never where they should be.  Then of course I put too much Neosporin on it so the band aides wouldn't stay on.  More band aides on top of the first.


But I did manage to finish the shelves.  I haven't glued them together yet.  I want to wait until I have the lights on them.  Maybe books in the shelves too.


But with the trim added they look enough like the triple cases that there won't be any jarring differences.

With all that done I did another dry fit of the front three walls of the shop, and put the false walls and doors in to see how they'd look.




I'm thinking of painting the windows black.  That'll look sharp especially with a darker blue for the main front.



So far everything fits well.  I've measured and I'll need to start work on the shop's spiral staircase fairly soon.

And here's the view from the back.  I can put the wiring behind the fake walls.  There'll be plenty of room.


I think it'll work out pretty well.

I hope you're all having a wonderful weekend and a Happy Easter!

20 comments:

  1. Oh no, I am so sorry about your slicing your thumb! Ouch. But it still looks like you got a lot of work done to me.
    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'll live I think. I'm hoping to accomplish more this coming weekend.

      Delete
  2. You've got alot of work done, Sheila, more than I did this Easter weekend.......but enjoying my kids and grandson was alot more fun ;)!
    Sorry that you did sliced in your thumb, I hope it won't hurt too much? It will be uncomfortable to work with a bandage for awhile.
    Maybe this will comfort you: stupid me, I've beaten with a heavy hammer on the nail of my thumb during work on the fence last Friday. That was quite painful too, but afterwards for the occasion of Easter I got a nicely colored thumb nail!! ;O
    Hug, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But ooh ouch! I'm so sorry about your hammer accident. Mine doesn't hurt too much just irritating at the moment.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes it just feels good to do practically nothing, especially when you get a rare and bonus day off! In spite of that, it seems to me that you moved a good deal forward on a lot of things! I love the view inside the shop - it really gives a nice feel for the space and the doors look really lovely. The structure is coming along so nicely, and you are making it look easy though I know there are many challenges you must be facing. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I'll admit, it felt really good to just sit and write and not worry about getting anything done on a schedule.

      I'm thinking I might start to work on the books and getting magnets glued in for the shop. I need to think about that for the loft too.

      Delete
  4. If that's feeling lazy I don't want to imagine what you would do when you feel not lazy LOL. It's looking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Lazy for me is when I spend an equal amount of time working and sitting at my laptop.

      Delete
  5. Sorry about cutting your thumb. Must be very painful and annoying. love the bronze
    painted rail. This spiral staircase is going to be a hit. I have, in my stash one white three-panels bookcase similar to yours. I'm waiting to see how you're going to make the books for inspiration. Love your doors!
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's mostly healed up. I've got some books and some kits to make books. I'm hoping to have enough to fill up the shelves.

      Delete
  6. Wow! You got a lot done. The bookshelves look great. In place, no one will notice the difference. I feel for you on the sliced thumb! Hope it's healing nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just wanted the shelves to look fairly uniform.

      Delete
  7. Better late than never, right? You are as always beavering along nice, on both houses. How you get your head around a modern loft and a historic bookshop at the same time, is beyond me, but both are looking great. I love the front wall of the shop and can imagine how dramatic it will look with its black windows.
    Sorry about the thumb :-( it is a dangerous game building small things. Hope it is getting better quickly.
    Hugs,
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I think it's because the builds are so different that its easier to do both.

      The thumb is healing up.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sheila! It's nice to see the "structure" coming together! I love what you've done with all the doors! The false walls are a great way to make the project seem bigger than it is! I am sorry you cut yourself... I hope it heals quickly! The shower you are building looks very realistic too! I am more and more impressed with your plan for doing two projects! Keep up the great work! (Carefully! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! The thumb is healing up. I was really worried about that shower, the grout did not want to behave. And I'm glad the false walls look realistic.

      Delete
  9. This build is coming together with more and more defining character ; I'm Loving it, especially the colour of your french doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm almost sold on the idea of that blue with some black mixed in as my shop front color.

      Delete
  10. Accidents happen. I'm really sorry you had troubles like that (but I understand it pretty well...).
    I love the floral wallpapers. And everything you did. This project is so great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's healing up pretty well but the end result with the bookshelves is worth it.

      Delete