Sunday, April 7, 2019

Feature Wall, Loft 'Wall' and Store Furniture

I think I mentioned last week that I wanted to do a feature wall for the loft but I didn't want to do wallpaper.  So I started looking into painted versions that were a bit more elaborate than one color different than the rest of the walls.

I'd been to Hobby Lobby on Thursday and picked up a few shades of blue to go with some that I had already.  I dug through my paint and found the colors I'd used for the Craftsman Cottage.  Then I put them all on a piece of MDF and labeled them.


The Craftsman Blue had too much of red undertone.  I needed blues that had a slightly yellow tint to them if that makes sense. 

I put them next to my floor and the couch I plan on using in the loft.


I tried the coffee table I plan on using as well.  The bronze metallic was a thought if I wanted dividing lines but I decided against it.



I went with the Chocolate Brown, my custom color, the custom color I got on sale, the Midnight Blue, Colonial Blue and Blue Fog.

Then I drew out the design.


I managed to figure out where I wanted my colors.  Then began my painstaking process of painters tape and paint.


It's not perfect but I do like how it looks.


I also painted the ceiling.




I went through my stash and found the cube shelves I had because I want to use them for a bathroom/bedroom wall. 

I also found some tiles that mimic onyx and my granite contact paper.  I also have some paper that came with a kitchen kit.   I like how they look with the stone floor paper.


I think maybe the tan lowers and creamy white uppers?  With granite countertops.  I'm not sure though. I think maybe something darker... and then the tan for the uppers?  Still thinking about that.

The tiles I thought would be really nice in the bathroom.  I splurged on one of Jodi's shower kits.


I think it'll work pretty well.  I left space for my shelves.  I'm going to back them with some pebble glass.




That's about as far as I got on the Downtown Loft this weekend.  I worked on it a good part of Saturday.

Sunday I decided to do another dry fit of the walls for the bookstore and realized that my second floor was a touch too narrow so I added some wood to widen it slightly.  

While that was drying I decided to paint the fake door.  I used black and then added gloss varnish over the top.  I like how it looks.


I also went through my scrapbook paper and wallpaper again trying to find something for the bookstore and I think I found something.




The stripes make me dizzy so I think the muted flower pattern is better.  And I have more of that too.

I decided I liked the idea of black doors for the interior.  And that I wanted the store shelves, counter and window tables to match.  So I got to work on those.

The window display tables I built out of House of Miniatures kits for Chippendale Lowboys.


Once I got them assembled I painted them and added the hardware.  Then varnished everything and glued the drawers in.


I like how they look.  And painted furniture would be easier to keep up than stained considering beeswax was the go to polish back then.

Then I started on the bookshelves.  



I was painting and varnishing for quite a while.  

My idea is to take my sconces and rather than put them on the wall I'll add them to the divider between the shelf sections.  They're brass like the drawer handles, so they'll look nice.

That was as far as I got today.

But I'm excited for next weekend when I can do more.

On a less than happy note, Keli found an account on Instagram that has a ton photos that don't belong to the poster.  They are not credited and I know that they don't belong to the person whose account it is because some of them are Keli's and at least one is Brae's.  Some belong to past Creatin' Contest entrants and there are at least two by Robin Carey. So I suggest you all go and check out this account and if you recognize your work or someone else's inform the folks you know and report the account to Instagram.

https://www.instagram.com/aramesh_021/

20 comments:

  1. Wow, you achieved to do so much work this past weekend, Sheila, how can you do this almost every week ;)? Whilst at this moment I am stuck into sizes and measurements, but also due to lack of information of my farm of more than 100 years old, you go as a spear in building!
    I loved every bit you show/do, the furniture, the walls and floors, it will all come together nicely, I'm sure of.
    Hug, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona! This was a more productive weekend, I'll admit. Sometimes I don't get as much done, but I do research.

      Delete
  2. I love the colors you have chosen for the furniture and door. With the brass handles and lamps they'll look very elegant. So much work done in a short time. You are a quick and very dedicated worker. Everything looks wonderful.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I wanted to make some progress this week and this felt good. I'm hoping I can figure out my lamp placement a bit more thoroughly and then start actually building.
      Hugs,
      Sheila

      Delete
  3. Oh wow the wall treatment for the loft does look awesome! Have you tried 1/16" x 1/16" framing to separate the color blocks? Stained in one of the coffee table wood tones might make it pop even more! Speaking of coffee table - I love it! I have one kinda like it in the Alki Point house!!!
    The floor, wall and counter candidates for the kitchen look good. They would give a serene, modern feel and a nice backdrop for whatever star pieces you are planning!
    I can't wait to see what you do with the shower and bathroom! Pebble glass sounds awesome!!!
    I am loving the black fixtures and furniture for the book shop building - classic! I am hopeless on helping with the wall covering choice - I always waffle back and forth with my own choices and usually end up ordering something I don't have in my stash!
    It looks like a very productive weekend and with the choices nearly finalized, the structures are going to progress pretty fast! Have a great week Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I'll admit, I didn't think of wood for color block framing but that would look great and hide some of my less than straight lines. I'll have to try that out. Maybe in warm white or a very dark blue. Or the earth brown. That would tie in the coffee table.

      I'm so excited about that shower. It's going to look so modern and cool with the tile walls you designed.

      I'm terrible about wall coverings too. That's part of why I have a Ton of scrapbook paper.

      Delete
  4. The wall you painted looks amazing. I love all the colours you have chosen.
    This Loft is going to be a wonderful place. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila, Both the loft and bookstore is coming along in leaps and bounces. I am always in awe of how much you achieve over a single week/weekend.
    The feature wall is fabulous and I particularly love how the geometric shapes enhance the angles of the light coming through the skylight. It looks awesome.
    For what it is worth, I agree with you the stripy wallpaper makes you cross-eyed which is possibly not the best for tiny people trying to read. The floral paper is so classy and will be an elegant backdrop for your now shiny black shop fitting.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anna! I'm excited to actually be making some progress. I might take Jodi's suggestion of some wood strips on the feature wall. I want something simple that will make the books pop in the bookstore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. I really love it. I got it on Etsy and planned to use it in the Architect's Abode but it didn't quite fit in.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sheila. This is going to be an interesting build - the feature wall looks great! I love the dark furniture and think it will really lend the build character and age. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I've never done anything like that wall before so I'm glad it turned out okay.

      Delete
  9. Absolutely lovely furniture, and that open bookshelf is going to be fantastic with the pebble glass. As for the Instagram account, I immediately noticed someone's work and notified her, and she filed a copyright violation report. There seems to be quite a bit of work from Greenleaf folks. Would you mind if I posted the alert there, to let folks go and look for their work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! First things first, tell everyone you know. I know I saw some spring fling kits. I know I've seen most of these pictures during mini searches but I don't know the creators/artists. So pass the word along however you can because apparently this person has no shame.

      I'm excited about the loft more and more now that I've got some direction.

      Delete
  10. Hi Sheila! I see you have been busy on all sorts of parts for both your builds! I am impressed at how easily you are dividing your time between two such different projects! The "Feature wall" looks very impressive and clearly will set the tone for the loft! I Love the painted shelving and low boys for the Book Shop and they also look very authentic to an older building! I Love the idea of sconces on the shelf dividers... light where it is needed is a good thing! It is fun to see these two properties developing so well! I look forward to seeing more! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy! I'm so glad you're enjoying the process. I'm trying to stay balanced with this and it's not easy, that's for sure.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow, that wall sings! I like the direction you're taking with the furniture too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have Friday off so I'm excited to maybe work on the kitchen and see about some thin wood strip dividers for the feature wall

      Delete