Sunday, June 3, 2018

Where To Go From Here

I'll admit, this weekend I've been a bit aimless.  I've caught a summer cold, which is always a delight, so I haven't felt my best and as a result I don't feel like I'm accomplishing much.

I'm on another mini vacation which is nice, because at least I'm not going to work feeling awful.  And I'm not cheating on my diet because quite frankly food doesn't sound appetizing.

So I've been puttering and finishing up a few things.  And quite frankly I haven't trusted myself with power tools so I'm putting off any working with the Dremel.

I got a few things in the mail.  Some pigeons I ordered to go in my dovecote arrived on Saturday.


My hinges came on Thursday so I started with doing the shutters on Friday.



You can see behind the dormer windows the bay window has been sanded and painted out.  I blended Americana Buttercream and Warm White and I think I'll try to do that for all the plaster inside.  I like the color, it's warm and traditional.

Apparently Tudor homes weren't always white plaster, a lot of them were mustard yellow, red or pink or a nice cream.  So I think it's a good compromise and it looks good with the Dark Walnut stain.

I haven't done the trim for the casement windows yet but I did get the shutters on them.



I'll get some trim figured out for them in a bit.  I don't want it to be too wide in comparison to the rest of the window trim.

I also made some trim and shutters for the bay window.  I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.



Since everything else on the ground floor had shutters I felt like the bay window should too.

I wanted to be able to wire the tower with lights but I can't do that until I get the inside of the third floor somewhat finished.  So I covered the wood floor and used my Greenleaf Stucco on the walls.



I painted the walls white underneath and then mixed a bit of Buttercream with the stucco.  It looks a little rough but pretty good.  I'll put my 'timbers' over it after I stain them.

Then I used my plaster and covered the outside.  I want it to have plenty of time to dry.


While that's been drying I started to finish the windows for the tower stairs.


I painted them and then dry brushed different greys on to give them a stone effect.


Then I used the last of my stucco for mortar.  I like how it looks but now I need to figure out something else for my mortar on the stair tower and the lower floor of the cottage or order more and hope it comes in quickly.

So I did some research and came across C.J.'s tutorial on doing plaster and lathe and decided I'd order her materials and see how I do with them.  They're relatively cheap on Amazon and they'll get here Tuesday.  I can mix the antique white with the buttercream and get the color I want to use.


I'm pretty happy with how they came out.  I got a bit of mortar on the leaded glass but it cleans up easily enough with a little water.

I can't wait to get them on the tower.  I'm so excited for how they'll look.

Speaking of the tower, I'm debating my original plan to use sandpaper bricks.  I'm not confident in my ability to keep the line of bricks level and they're very time consuming.  I've never worked with the Magic Brick stuff though I've seen Jodi use it.  It looks like it would be quicker and would still give me the brick finish I want.

What do all of you think?

20 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you've caught the summer cold! Aside from zapping energy, it's just so annoying! Hope you feel superb again soon!

    Love the windows, trim, shutters, stucco treatment and color. The hinges arrived so quick! Working in this style looks like so much fun!

    I was going to suggest paperclay for the tower bricks. The Magic Brik is quick, but also really messy and kind of expensive. It also takes a while to dry, and if something happens to brush against it before it does (like kitties), disaster! The paperclay might be just as quick and a bit more forgiving to work with. Basically, you roll out a sheet about 1/8" thick and apply to to the wall with white glue. You can work in sections, and if it begins to dry on you, you can moisten it with a bit of water for more working time. Then, you just score the brick lines into it. As for texturing, a ton of different things would work like pressing sandpaper into it before scoring. Might be worth exploring a bit. Either method will work, though, so whatever you feel most comfortable with.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm loading up on water and trying to remember to eat. Just no appetite. Yeah, the stuff from miniatures.com tends to arrive within a week or so. That's kind of nice.

      I ordered some Magic Brik to try out so we'll see. I've never worked with paperclay before but that's another option I hadn't thought of. Keeping the cats from brushing against it might be an issue.

      Delete
  2. Oh those pigeons... LOL so cute.
    All those windows...! They look great. The transformation of the stone on the tower windows is just fabulous. It will be great to see when it all comes together on the house - the link to C.J's plaster tutorial if fabulous.
    I am not sure if you have seen Pequeneces's tutor house. (http://pequeneces-maragverdugo.blogspot.com/2018/03/casa-tudor-parte-i-tudor-house-part-i.html#.WxSRju4iOUk) she covers the areas where the timbers are going to go and puts them in place after plastering - looks easier than trying not to get plaster on all the nice timber bits.

    Summer colds really are the pits! Hope you feel better soon. Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love those pigeons. They're just awesome. I love CJ's blog, I wish she was still writing it. I'll have to check out Pequenceces's house to see how she does beams and plaster.

      Thanks! I just want to breathe normally again.

      Delete
  3. Oh no! So sorry to hear you haven’t been feeling the best. Always feels worse when it’s out of season too. Those pigeons are just too perfect :) And I can’t believe your hinges arrived so fast! It must feel great to know they are done. The stone on the window trim came out so well, you must have the colours down pat. I’ve never used magic brick but I did get a half built farmhouse with some on the foundation… personally I thought it looked a little unrealistic because of the proportion of grout vs brick. But maybe that varies depending on the roll of sticker you use? I’m sure you’ll figure it out! Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm taking over the counter medicine and trying to take it easy. I'd rather be sick and not have to go to work than trying to make it into work and feel this lousy.

      I liked how the Magic Brik looked when Jodi used it, and I think with some sealer I'd be able to add plaster or grout for mortar and that would make it look a bit more realistic.

      Delete
  4. Sorry to read you're not well, feel better very soon! I love all the things you've done, the windows and shutters looks really awesome! The doves are just too cute :-). Can't help with the brick question, but I'm sure you'll find the best way to proceed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to experiment with a few brick techniques... it's becoming a time issue more than anything else.

      Delete
  5. I hope you're feeeling better soon, Sheila!
    Your windows an shutters look great, it's really fantastic work. The new doves are lifelike and very beautiful, I'm sure that they will love their dovecote ;).
    Regarding the brick making with sandpaper: I've used this technique for my chicken coop, here's the link https://minimumloon.blogspot.com/2015/01/frisse-start-fresh-start.html Maybe it's useful for you..??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm resting a bit more and hoping that will help.

      I've been trying to do something similar with the bricks for the tower and it's just a really huge area to cover so I don't think I'll have the time.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sheila, being sick especially if you can't breathe properly is a drag, but at least you are not confined to your bed.
    Your shutters are Sensational! I love the way you have made them to fold back onto themselves- Simply Brilliant!
    I also love the warm color of the painted stucco and think that the pumice gel will add the perfect amount of texture to the walls.
    I've used the gel product before and found that another added bonus is that it makes the surface really durable!
    I must also say that your pigeons and your dove cote are Both TERRIFIC and I can't wait to see the birdhouse once you've actually put it in place.
    And last but not least, I must commend you on your stone windows- WOWEE! the texture of the stone with the leaded glass looks like something from Sleeping Beauty's tower- Superb!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Breathing is slowly improving. I'm working on furniture for the next couple days since it needs to be done and its relatively low impact.

      Glad to hear someone else has used the gel pumice stuff. Funny I also saw someone else used wet tissue to imitate stucco. Like paper mache I guess.

      You wouldn't believe how happy I am about those windows. At least half my eagerness to finish the stair tower is because I want to put them on.

      Delete
  7. Love the birds! :D Feel better soon! You have minis to accomplish. haaa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! OTC meds are keeping me mostly human. And I'm making slow progress.

      Delete
  8. Hope your cold disappears soon!
    I LOVE the pigeons.
    Can't stop looking at your windows, they are awesome.
    I don't like the Magic Brik stuff. Messy and it still looks fake. Not a fan of sandpaper either. I have made some stunning brick exteriors with paperclay. It was inexpensive, and fun. Just remember to draw some lines on the wall before you start sticking the clay on, and you won't go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I'm going to experiment a little bit with my options. I noticed a lot of historic Tudor brick is very smooth to the touch so the Magic Brik could be an option but I'm want to see how different things look.

      Delete
  9. Don’t pressure yourself Jodi, you’ve still made great progress. And everything looks great. Love the shutters! Hope you are feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Getting slowly better. I hate summer colds.

      Delete
  10. I hope you are better now. You have done so much progress despite the cold and everything looks good. The shutters are fantastic and the pigeons stunning. I love the stucco. I want the flower shop walls to look like this. Will have to experiment.
    Best get well wishes, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The Greenleaf Stucco is what I used on the tower inside. Brush it on and then dab the ends of the brush onto it for texture. I think you could achieve the same look with with CJ's tutorial and probably for cheaper.

      Delete