Tuesday, June 5, 2018

It's Sort Of a Toss Up

Whether or not this has been a good day or a bad day is kind of a toss up.

I spent yesterday and part of this morning working on furniture for the house.  I started with the wet sink.  I'd gotten the sink from Minimum World when it was on sale.  But I needed to build a base for it.  So I started with some newel posts and turned them upside down for legs.  Then cut boards to length and roughed them up to look hand cut.

I decided to make it in two levels, one slightly lower than the other, so the water from the pump would pour into the sink more easily.  I used Minwax Dark Walnut and Red Oak on the wood to give it some variation.


I made a shelf to go between the legs of the larger half of the sink for buckets and other things.  And glued the sink onto the smaller lower half.  Then I made a pipe out of a wooden dowel and aged the pump a little bit.



I want to rough up the lower edges of the rim around the legs, but so far I think it looks nicely primitive and Tudor.  What do you think?

I also stained the table for the kitchen.  Ended up using my craft knife to remove a lot of extra glue that wasn't noticeable before and re-stained it.  I used Minwax Red Oak on the table.


 I like how it looks, pretty dark but not the same as the walnut.

My next project was the small table for the still room/laboratory.  I popped the slats off the lower side boards and sanded the glue off as much as possible.  I sanded down the edges of the table top and the top of it so it would look more rough and have the appearance of wood grain.

Of course after all this work I forgot to take pictures with the camera.  So here are a couple with my cell phone.



The next project was the other slatted table for the still room/laboratory.  The one with the table top I didn't care for. Remember?


Well in order to get the top off the table I put it in the microwave.  Here it is now.


So I scraped and sanded the extra glue off the pieces and stained them with the red oak and dark walnut mix.  Then made a new tabletop out of roughed up wood lengths.  And glued everything back together.



I need to add the other two lower bars to the table.  I forgot to stain them.  So if I decide I really want them on the table I'll add them after the glue is dried on the rest of it.


After that I had to do the cat boxes and once I do those I like to vacuum.  Because as every cat owner/butler knows, cats scatter litter outside of the boxes in order to ward off the devil.

And I obviously had some sawdust and wood scraps that needed to be vacuumed up as well.

I got half way through this process and my vacuum cleaner died.  I took it apart and cleaned it out, but it doesn't work still.  So we have to buy a new vacuum cleaner.

In case you're curious, a vacuum cleaner that deals with hard floors and carpets and stands up to pet hair is not cheap.

So you tell me... does what I got done balance out against needing a new vacuum cleaner?

I hope everyone else's week is going better.

16 comments:

  1. The sink and the tables really have that charming Tudor vibe, and I love the creative finishing techniques like replacing the table tops and removing extra pieces to customize.
    In 2004, after we bought our first house, I bought a Dyson. That thing had been incredible at it's job and got a 9 out of 10 for functionality and ease of use. It still runs like a champ, though I have had to duct tape a seal where my son got a little rough with it. Other than that it is still going strong after 14 years! So, in 2015 I decided that rather than having to lug the vacuum upstairs and back down every time I cleaned, I would get an upstairs Dyson, too. I found reconditioned ones on Amazon for about half price. My second Dyson works like a champ, too, and with pets, the cleanable filter is awesome. Plus, the empty-able collector thingy comes apart easily when I accidentally suck up the inevitable dog toy stuffing that always seems to be just under the furniture. Recon is the way to go and will save a couple hundred bucks.
    Hope the rest of your week goes great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      I actually had a little Dyson that was refurbished and it's lasted me two and a half years. But when you have my hobby and five cats, it was probably too much for the poor thing.

      I did like it so much that we bought another Dyson and my husband says it'll be delivered today so I can use it tomorrow.

      Delete
  2. It's all very Tudor, great job done! I like the sink, and also the tables very much! I have a Nilfisk vacuum cleaner that is now more than 20 years old, and it's still working great. I too needed a strong cleaner for the carpets and cat hairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My husband ordered a bigger/better vacuum that we should get today so I'm excited to get cleaning again.

      Delete
  3. I love all your furniture, you are really committed with the style and it´s turning out great! I am interested in your search for a vacuum cleaner as I have 4 cats and vacuuming seems a never ending job around here. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad it's turning out well!

      I had very good luck with the Dyson animal owners vacuum that I had even though it was refurbished. I think it was just its time.

      Delete
  4. The tables and the sink are so well done, real Tudor style!
    Regarding to the vacuum cleaner: since I'm allergic to cats, I don't have pets, so I'm afraid that I can't help you ;O!
    I hope you'll have more luck for the rest of the week, Sheila!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad they're coming out in a way that's true to the Tudor style.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful work Sheila! The vacuum cleaner would probably have died out anyway. Household appliances tend to do so, especially in the middle of our work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Oh yes, and we were due for something to break down. I swear every summer it's something. Waterheater one year, HVAC the next, pipes leaking under the house... I'm lucky it's only the vacuum cleaner.

      Delete
  6. Your many furniture pieces look distinctly Tudor, and I love them.
    So sorry about the vacuum cleaner. If it makes you feel any better, my husband drove over ours the other day when reversing out the garage (he was the one who put it there after cleaning the car). It's one of those upright wet and dry machines. We are joking that it cost almost as much as the car. Unlike the car, unfortunately we can't claim from the insurance for our 'accident', ha ha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad they're turning out well.

      LOL I shouldn't laugh but that's the sort of thing that would happen to us!

      Delete
  7. It's always somthin' isn't it? I LOVE my Dyson too and although the powerhead is busted and needs to be replaced, I continue to use the hose.
    I think that your tables ARE Totally Tudor and love the way you have added the pump and pipe to the one set, stained and/or re-topped the others - Well Done Sheila! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My goal is to keep everything looking like it belongs in the cottage, no jarring notes.

      It really is always something. But the new one is supposed to arrive tonight.

      Delete
  8. Love the red oak stain on the table! Such a beautiful colour. The sink really reminds me of this period, and the pump looks so realistic! Wow. And I really did love the big slatted table for the still room as is (well mostly the table top) but it looks way better with your new top and the slats gone. After emailing you earlier I realize now you’re stuck with a cleaning dilemma too! Oh no those vacuum cleaners aren’t cheap! I hope you find one, especially one that isn’t too heavy or bulky… depending on how old your last one was maybe this will feel like a blessing in the long run. Nothings worse than trying to heave a dinosaur vacuum up a set of stairs! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really pleased the pump isn't looking plastic anymore. That was my biggest problem with it. So I roughed it up some and added paint.

      Well we had a no interest credit card and my husband used that to order a new vacuum. I got to use it last night and it's such an improvement!

      Delete