Saturday, September 2, 2017

One Step Forward, Two Steps Back

So a quick post.  As you might have guessed from the header things did not go as planned.

I did get the tile grouted.  And it looks really good I think.  I used a slightly lighter color than the kitchen cabinets.  The tops of the cabinets aren't painted but with the ceiling/roof on you won't be able to see them anyway.



Notice anything missing?  Uh huh.  That's right.  The faucet broke.  And there's no repairing it so I've ordered another one.  Joy.  At least its not expensive.

And while I was at Shapeways I got some wall switches and a toilet flush button.  Which I needed anyway. 

The second step backwards was the hinge screws giving out when I moved the house to its side.  So right now I'm waiting on the glue to set on the additional wood bracing.


I'm hoping that will do the trick and I'll be a lot more careful about tipping the house on its side.

One more look at the kitchen, with the fridge slid into place so you can all get an idea of how it'll look.


I think the fridge needs a cookie jar on the top of it.  I might have to look for one.  I do have a set of yellowish canisters so I want to put them on the back wall in the corner. 

While I'm waiting for the glue (and grout) to dry completely I need to work on getting the inner chimney wall built.  I've got some plaster paper on the flat ceiling and I'll run the wiring for the ceiling light fixtures in the attic space.  I've already got wire leading up in the kitchen wall so I can attach the light fixtures to it.

Before I put that in though I want to make some sort of shoe and coat spot in the entry.  It can't take up too much space or the entry will feel super crowded but the area needs something to make it 'Craftsman'.

Hope everyone else's day is going better!

12 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila. Sorry about the breakages, but there are always casualties. And it extends our creativity and knowledge to fix them, so maybe that's good? Anyway, it's really starting to look finished and great! I think a little jar of daisies would be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm going to look into doing some flowers like that for the island. I've fixed the wall hinges and I've ordered the new faucet so a couple of weeks and I'll be adding it back in.

      Working on ideas for a coat rack near the entry now.

      Delete
  2. Hi Sheila! I'm sorry to read that you had so much bad luck during the work, I'm sure that this kitchen will be so lovely after finishing! The whole is already so cosy by the color scheme you used. And I am with Shannon, put some pretty flowers in a vase, and put them somewhere in this kitchen.
    Wish you luck for the rest of the kitchen.
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Like I said, worked on fixing it and ordered a new faucet. I'm hoping to make some black eyed susans or daisies.

      Part of this is my fault. I shouldn't have put the faucet in before I grouted but I wasn't thinking of that potential problem.

      Have a great day!

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the accidents but I see you already overcame them. The kitchen looks young and happy. I like the blue fridge. I too, think that a jar with maybe yellow daisies will look great in this kitchen.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I like how it turned out so far. I'm going to work on some black eyed susans for the island. Something cheery.

      Delete
  4. Hi Sheila! The grouted tiles look Great! And it is always a disappointment when it causes something so perfect to break. :( At least the faucet is replaceable and now it really will look right against the grouted tiles! As for the hinges.... I am always leery of attaching the opening side before all the big work is done! It puts an awful lot of stress on the screws... and if they are screwed into end grain they will not hold right. Next time you need to tip the house, remove the wall temporarily first! I think your kitchen is really shaping up nicely and look forward to seeing all the decorations you will add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pleased with how they look now that everything is grouted. Yeah my order of assembly was a bit off, and I wasn't thinking of the screws. I should have had something to support the wall in place while I tilted the house on its side at least. My own fault.

      But once I get the new faucet I'll get it primed, painted and glued into place.

      Delete
  5. The kitchen is looking fantastic! The grout really did add a perfect touch! The faucet and screw problem are no match for you - you shall overcome all of the obstacles and challenges until every problem is solved. This is shaping up to be a beautiful and enviable build, and you're gaining a whole new set of problem solving skills! Hope the next steps come much more easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your optimism is inspiring. Fixed the hinges at least and I've been working on the interior chimney of the fireplace. Found a little grate that won't distract too much from the tile so I think I'll go with my embers inside the fireplace.

      Delete
  6. Sorry for the setbacks, but it all looks fabulous. I think a cookie jar is a grand idea. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling good about how its going so far.

      Delete