I actually borrowed an idea from Babettesmom over at Cramped Quarters. When she did the Undersized Urbanite contest she had a huge problem making her kitchen cabinets. I loved her solution and thought the look was perfect for my house. You can go read her post here, it's really funny especially as I'm a huge Kitchen Nightmares fan myself.
I haven't stained them yet or added the hardware or the countertops, but here's what I have so far.
The small one will go between the stove and the fridge, the large one on the opposite side of the stove.
For the uppers I was thinking of using some of the House of Miniatures kits I have. I've got a couple like this:
Maybe altering the glass fronts to some thin wood. Not sure yet. I don't know that I want the uppers to be that tall. Have to think a bit about it.
I've got the counters glued together, just wood with two edges sanded to a gentle curve. And the contact paper I ordered arrived Friday. It's not quite as pretty as what I originally hoped to use but it's nice and light and looks like granite. See?
|See? I added a ruler for scale. Kind of important.|
I don't want to put everything together until after I've stained the cabinets. But I'm pleased with the day's progress considering I've never made from scratch cabinets before. (Much more difficult than making cake from scratch. Not as tasty either.)
The other bit of progress I made was the chair for the bedroom. I decided to use the same green as I did for the curtain cornices. It's subtle and will look nice in the corner.
It has a soft, semi worn look to it that I like. A nice little cushion stuffed in the corner and it's a cozy place to read.
The other bit of news is that while I was looking for my Chrynsbon bathroom accessories I found my kitty cat cushions from Brae! I was so excited! I also found the bed pillows I'd ordered at the same time. So I might take a break from the counters, since I have to wait for the glue to dry, and play with the bolster bed and bedding for it.
That could be a fun use of the evening.