Sunday, January 17, 2021

Floor Plans and Elevations

 I played around with my graph paper this weekend designing the Container House. (Yes, I know, very original name but nothing else is coming to me.)

Since shipping containers are typically 8x8x20 feet.  So I thought at first to do an L shaped house with a big deck.  But I wanted to keep the footprint a little smaller.



I like it but as I said, a larger footprint than I wanted.  So I went back to the drawing board, (almost literally) and began work on something like this.





The big circle is meant to be a spiral stair. The location of that drove me a little crazy and I ended up moving it quite a bit.  But I think I've got a solid plan now.



It underwent some revisions as I figured out where I wanted the windows and doors.  



I had the component kit for the MiniTown Loft so I used those measurements for the windows.  I wanted to do a regular staircase, maybe with a couple of landings. But I ran into a little snag with the steps that came with the component kit.


I was a little surprised to find the stairs broken, that hasn't happened in a long time.  I wrote to Miniatures.com about it and they're always cool about replacing things that broke during shipping.

I'm excited to play with the doors on the ends of the containers.  I want to do some big windows in a couple of them.  That way I can open the doors and close them like shutters.  That could be cool right?

Since I am not an artist the drawing (and erasing and drawing again) took me pretty much all weekend.  My husband said that he hoped I was just drawing houses.  Apparently he thinks I have some demolition expertise and was drawing out bomb schematics.  He's so optimistic isn't he? 

I'm excited about this kit now.  I really am looking forward to working on it. I'd love to do another tile backsplash like this.




Maybe not these exact colors, something more in a grey? I do a lot of blue because its a favorite but a pretty grey with a nice granite countertop would look very nice.

Have to see. Hope you're having a good weekend! Stay safe and healthy.

7 comments:

  1. Me gusta la estructura que has diseñado para la casa, estaré esperando tu comienzo!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love seeing your plans so far, Sheila, they look great! Had to laugh about your husband's words ;)!
    Stay safe and healthy, dear Sheila.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful idea.
    We have a retail dining area here named the Container Park, here is a link. Maybe it will give you some more ideas.
    https://thetraveltote.com/2017/08/30/container-park-las-vegas/
    I can't wait to watch this build

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks good and I already feel exited and curious to see more. Have fun!
    Keep safe!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great Sheila! One of my nerdy pet loves is graph paper! And I love the inspiration pics, very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sheila! This looks like so much fun! Just the other day I was Really tempted to open another new kit (in my stash for years now)... I was just wanting a fresh start and that wood smell of new kits.... and all the Potential that comes with the new ideas...
    But sanity prevailed and I am going to return to one of my not yet finished kits.... and make some good progress this year! I can't wait to see this project of yours get under way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I love container houses! This is going to be such a cool project!

    ReplyDelete