Sunday, June 21, 2020

Inset Shelves

So not a ton of pictures this week.  It was a more labor intensive weekend than picture worthy.

I wanted to do a false wall with shelves inset on either side of a door.  It took me a bit of time to figure out how to do it and if I wanted arched shelves or regular squared off ones.

I decided I wanted arched shelves but I don't have any circle stencils so I used the curve of my blue painters tape roll to get the tops.  The wall is matboard since I've found that's easier to glue trim to matboard than foamcore board.


The next step was making trim for the openings.  I used more matboard and layered it, sanding the edges so it would look more like carved wood.


I couldn't do it in one continuous piece so I cut an arch and then straight pieces.


I built a framework around the openings with foam-core.


There was a lot of gluing and waiting for glue to dry this weekend.

I painted everything white and cut the wallpaper for the openings.  I painted the actual back wall with chalk paint in Cascade so it would dry while I glued on the wallpaper.

I added some lights to the arches with some silver bead covers.  I glued and painted my wainscoting and door trim and got it glued to the wall and added flooring to the base.

I thought about doing herringbone again but ultimately I decided to go with something more simple.



I ended up cutting the actual back wall in half and I'll hinge it so I can get to the electrical stuff without having to pull everything apart.

But a good start I think.

I hope everyone else is having a great weekend!  And Happy Father's Day to everyone!

9 comments:

  1. Muy buen comienzo,se ve genial esa pared falsa!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Using matboard was an ingenious idea! The false wall with the lighted nooks is amazing.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. The false wall looks amazing, Sheila, I like the idea of the inset arched shelves.
    Last Sunday we had here Father's Day too, I enjoyed seeing my kids again, but therefore I am now a bit late ;)!
    Stay safe, take care, dear Sheila.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks fantastic! You’ve inspired me to experiment with mat board.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is looking great! Your idea of using a roll of tape to mark out the arches is brilliant, and the wallpaper you've chosen is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are doing an amazing job with the shelves and lighting Sheila! This is really going to be a lovely and polished room box!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That bookcase wall looks amazing! I love it! And the lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila! Me again! (Soooo late!) I Love the arched shelves you are building, and seeing the method you used is so useful! I always forget about mat board! LOL! I am going to go stock up!!! The colors of this room are pure delight... summer sky and fresh breezes come to mind! I can hear the music wafting out those windows....! Keep up the wonderful inspiring work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of measuring and fitting there, and you've done a great job. I love the colours!

    ReplyDelete