Sunday, March 3, 2019

Splitting My Time

This year as I've mentioned, I'm going to do my best to use what I have.  I've also decided that I'm going to seriously attempt to do two builds and split the weekend between the two of them.  Saturday for the contest build and Sunday for my loft.

So Saturday I worked on a dry fit of my Victorian Bookstore.  I got the walls cut and the first floor and taped them together.


I bought a storefront to use for the first floor. It doesn't come with trim or glass for the windows but I can get those made. I've got plenty of plastic for the windows.

I don't want any windows on the sides, mostly because an old building pressed between other buildings wouldn't have windows on those walls.  The back I haven't decided about yet.  I want a mansard roof and that'll be tricky to cut with the angles I need.  But I have two dormers that will fit up against the roof and bring some light to the third story.

I did some work on the kit's original front so I can use the side windows on the front.


That took up most of the day.  So Sunday I started to work on my spiral staircase again.  I couldn't find any lace that would really work on the fronts of the steps so I went through my jewelry stash and found these.


I used one of my wire cutters to cut them into quarters.  That got me two steps out of each piece and I'm pretty happy with how the steps came out.


While they dried I started to work on my spindles.  I decided to go with an alternating look.


Then I added a slight lip so the steps would have a tiny overhang and assembled the steps again.  I haven't glued everything together yet, waiting on all of the glue to dry completely.


I'm cautiously pleased with how it's turning out so far.

I'll admit to relaxing a bit more during the weekends rather than work on the minis morning, noon and night.  I imagine I'll end up getting a little more intense about it after I've given myself some time to breathe.

I'm excited about the bookstore though.  I've wanted to do one for a while.  And I've got some really fun ideas for the loft so this will be an enjoyable year.





27 comments:

  1. I'm liking your spiral stair. It turned out great. I also like your Victorian storefront. Looking forward to see what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! I'm going to have a little trouble with the spindles and railing but I think I've got them almost figured out.

      I'm excited about the storefront. I think the architectural details will be fun.

      Delete
  2. Looking good Sheila and using the metal brackets on your spiral staircase was a Great solution!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth! I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

      Delete
  3. The shop is looking intriguing already. Clever idea to use the kit front as the first floor front. It cracks me up how much you have managed to dismantle and re-jig the kit already. This is sure going to be another interesting project to follow.
    The spiral stairs looks great - those jewellery findings were made for stairs.
    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna! I was really pleased to figure out a way to make the staircase work.

      I really want the building to look like it's an old Victorian.

      Delete
  4. Those corners are perfect, you're a genius! Adding a lip to the front was also a splendid idea, it's all in the details. I love the alternating spindle design you chose, it's going to fit in well with the stairs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The lip also hides some of the slightly rough edges on the corner details which can't hurt either.

      Delete
  5. I too like the corners for your stair case, Sheila, it's great find and addition for the stairs! The shop looks great so far, I can't wait to see more.
    I'm so glad for you that you're now working at two projects and are taking your time to enjoy it. You'll see it will work well for you, to work without so much stress, because...I experienced it too ;)!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hopeful that this year with relaxing and just enjoying the process I'll have time for other things too.

      Delete
  6. It seems like a good idea to split your time between two projects, double the fun yeahhh

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Sheila,
    Amazing work! the building is just beautiful and I have no words to say how impressed I am with your staircase. It is beautiful and such a great interpretation of a real life one.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! Thank you so much. I feel like I'm cheating on the store build a bit but I just loved that storefront and wanted an excuse to use it.
      Hugs
      Sheila

      Delete
  8. I think your spiral stair is wonderful! Those jewelry findings are perfect. I'm glad you went with the alternating spindles, too. This build is going to be so much fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pleased it's turning out well, I want to do something similar in the store.

      Delete
  9. The spiral stairs are looking amazing and the building facade is off to a promising start! I can hear it in your words that you are having fun just being creative with no pressure, and I bet that makes you happy and looking forward to the weekends in a way you haven't been able to with the contest deadlines in the past. That is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I'll admit I've always looked forward to weekends. But I'm not stressing over what's supposed to be fun.

      I'm excited about how the staircase is turning out, I hope to get this one all fixed up and see how I like it and what I want to change if I do something similar on the store.

      Delete
  10. Fantastic work! The spiral staircase with the metal brackets is awesome and I love the store's facade. Thank you for sharing.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I'm really happy with how it's turning out. I might need to get more of these fans.

      Delete
  11. This decoration is so cool ...
    I like to see it.
    The turn of the ladder looks real.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so good already! I love the facade on the front so far and it looks like you're going to have a good amount of space inside to work with. A bookstore sounds so exciting! Ah the possibilities! And those stairs fit right in with the victorian theme.
    Hope this weekend goes just as well. I can understand taking it a bit slow at first, sometimes it's nice to recharge! I'm still waiting for my kit, but I'm hoping it will be here soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! My goal is to make the front removable and the back maybe hinged, depending on where I put the stairs to the third floor. I'm going to be doing cardboard mockups I can tell. I'm trying to not put pressure on myself to do things quickly.

      I'm so excited to see what you do with the kit. I hope it gets to you quickly. I'm really impatient!

      Delete
  13. Hi Sheila! I really like the looks of your new project(s)! This year's contest kit has me tempted.... not as a contestant... but for use as a lovely shelf-sitting room box. Your taller structure is going to be really fun to see develop... I love the idea of a Victorian book store too! The loft is not a space I am as familiar with... but I am intrigued by your spiral stairs! They are looking awesome! It looks like you are off to a great start and I applaud your idea to use up your "stuff"! I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I'm feeling pretty good about this year. I really want to enjoy this.

      The loft kit is the Creatin' Contest kit from...2012. It came up on Ebay and I liked it enough to buy it. Wish I could have found the finishing kit that you could buy too, then I'd have windows and skylights without needing to make them.

      Delete
  14. I like the staircase a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete