Sunday, February 24, 2019

Thus Begins the Year of Scrounging

This year I want to try and limit my spending.  I've decided that if I can't buy it with my weekly 'allowance' or with my gift certificates I'm going to try and either do without it or make it myself.  It's mostly an exercise in budgeting and trying to track what I'm spending more closely.  And also to see how well I can make things instead of buying them.

Plus, this would get me to use things from my stash instead of buying new.  My stash is getting more than a little out of control.

I got the new kit in the mail this week.  That was exciting.  So I did a dry fit.


I like it.  I want to make it about three times taller, maybe an inch wider and an inch and a half deeper.  But I want the footprint to be relatively small.  The size is going to depend on a couple of things.  But the windows will all be on the front rather than two on the sides.

I want to do a mansard roof, so it doesn't get too tall.  That will give the living quarters some interest and realism I think.  I'm thinking a spiral staircase on the ground floor up to the second and then a straight staircase in the back up to the third floor.  And since I wanted to do a spiral stair case up to the loft in the Downtown Loft I that will be good practice for the shop.

I have been working on the Downtown Loft.  I cut a larger window in the upper front wall of the addition and built up the wall thicknesses to match the original kit.  I also closed in the backdoor since I decided I didn't want it after all.



And I started work on the spiral staircase.


Cutting out my steps and some side braces was the first step.



I plan to paint the entire thing black metallic so it looks like wrought iron.  That way the flowers won't really show up.  I ended up needing thirteen steps so I cut one more after I got all these glued.

Then I did a dry fit to see how everything would look together.



I don't like how the front pieces don't meet the steps under them.  Rather than pry them off or add 'legs' to the sides I'm going to use some of my lace and glue it over them.  That will join the steps up but keep it a bit airy looking.

My next issue is figuring out the spindles.  Rather than something really thick like typical spindles I'm planning on toothpicks with beads.  I worked up three different designs and I'm having trouble deciding between them.

Number one:


Number two:


And Number three:


I like three, but I was also thinking of doing alternating spindles of one and two.  Or maybe a reverse of three, with two round beads in the middle and one oval to alternate with three as it is.

The big issue with how I'm making this staircase is that it might end up being a bit too elaborate for the Downtown Loft. The house is supposed to be more modern and simple.  So I'm still debating.

But I'm in no rush and playing around with design is part of the fun.

I'm also seriously debating selling a couple of my houses.  The Beach Bungalow and the Gothic Victorian maybe.  Possibly the Craftsman Tiny House though that one is smaller and doesn't take up so much room that I'd need to get rid of it.  I'd have to do it for pickup only since shipping for either of them would be astronomical.  My husband tells me that I don't need to but at the same time, I haven't worked on either of them in years (literally) so I'm still keeping it in the back of my mind.

How are all of you doing?

31 comments:

  1. How exciting! A new build! I applaud your efforts to use your stash. Is your staircase coming from a kit, or did you cut the steps from a wood fan? For the spindles, I like the idea of alternating 1 and 2. It's simpler than option 3, but also adds a bit more visual interest. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My stair case steps are from a wood fan...very tricky to cut, at least for me, because the wood is so thin.

      Delete
  2. The spiral staircase already looks fantastic. With spindles added and black metalic paint it will be a perfect iron staircase. Great start!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! I'm excited about it so far, my first 'iron' staircase.

      Delete
  3. Good for you for resolving to watch the budget and use what you have on hand, Shelia. It makes sense to a least strive towards that objective.
    Meanwhile, your new kit is off to a great start; and your spiral staircase is too!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's not going to be easy but I have so much in the way of kits and furniture stashed away that I want to try and use some of it.

      Delete
  4. Fantastic start of your new kit, Sheila, your spiral staircase looks great.
    Good for you for resolving too much expences on your budget, I know because personally I always prefer to work with what I have on hand. Besides less expensive, it always makes my solutions/thoughts even more creative, because one restrict oneselves in spending money ;). (I hope you know what I mean? Because my knowledge of the English language is not good enough).
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona! I'm hoping the creativity part will certainly improve. I also just want to see if I can push myself making things instead of purchasing them and 'settling' for someone else's vision.

      Delete
  5. A new project is always exciting. I look forward to see how it develops. I am sure we will have lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty excited about both of them. It should be a lot of fun.

      Delete
  6. Hello Sheila,
    I really like your ideas for the new build. I am curious to see it develop. Budget is such a dirty word, but I think it might help you be even more creative...if at all possible. The staircase is going to be fantastic. THe steps are just right and when painted all black it will be perfection...yet again!
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Giac! That's my hope actually, if I don't spend money I'll be forced to figure out how to do things myself. I'm excited about the staircase, if it ends up being too elaborate I could just use it in the bookshop.
      Hugs!
      Sheila

      Delete
  7. Your ideas for the new contest kit sound exciting, and going taller is a great way to save precious display real estate! I have been on a "try to make it before you buy it" resolution for a while now, too, and I find it helps me improve my skills and think more creatively. It also saves up my allowance so that when I do purchase something, it's an artisan piece I really admire and definitely do not have the skills to make! With your creative and indenius mind, I think you'll really enjoy the challenge!
    The fan step spiral staircase is going to be such a beautiful focal point! I like all of the spindle choices, but it would be easier to pin one down once you have examples painted in black. Then you'll know for sure!
    I'm so glad you're having pressure free fun with the loft! Having time to allow ideas to marinate often leads to brilliant ideas and a sure path forward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I'm hopeful that this year I can improve my skills, use up some of my stash and save money.

      Delete
  8. The spiral staircase is going to be stunning. Can't wait to see it with lace added. I would also agree that you should keep the spindles simple, but maybe if they are painted one colour they will be fine as is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm also trying to keep in mind that whatever I do on the staircase I need to match on the loft railings.

      Delete
  9. I have the new kit too (just arrived) and am already planning what I'll do. Problem is, I'm still working on last year's kit which has been relegated to the dining room table for landscaping (& a few other things).
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no doubt that by January 2020 I'll be trying to figure out where to put my builds so I can play with the new kit then. Hopefully I can finish them.

      Delete
  10. I did a double take when I realized your stairs were not from a kit! Wow. The spacing looks great and once everything is painted I can see how the spindles will work too.
    And I love the idea of a mansard roof, that is going to be so so pretty! 2019 looks like it's going to be a busy one for you ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! I'm having fun with them but I need to do a bit more work.

      The mansard roof is going to kill me, I can tell. All those angles!

      Delete
  11. Excellent work on the spiral stairs so far! I think you'll find it looks less "fancy" when painted and the elements begin to blend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae! I'm hopeful. I need to go through my stock of lace tonight and see what I can work with.

      Delete
  12. Hi Sheila! Sorry I am so late here! The new kit looks like fun... I am seriously tempted by this one! The spiral stairs are looking amazing! I know how challenging they are to assemble even with a kit.... to make from scratch is a whole nother thing! I think your idea with lace is a good one! As for it not fitting in the "modern" loft.... I think the elaborate graphic lines could be a wonderful counter-point to the otherwise "purity" of the modern scheme! A loft is traditionally a re-made antique space anyway... spraypaint the stairs black and you have a pure piece of geometric sculpture on display! At least I think it would look awesome! I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy! Thanks! I'm going to try the stairs in the loft and see how I like them. If I go a different way at least I'll have tried it out.

      Delete
  13. Great start with the stairs it will look amazing when you finish it. I love your new house I enjoy seeing others new projects.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really hopeful for the stairs. And excited about the new kit.

      Delete
  14. Good luck on reaching your goals. I am impressed with your spiral staircase. I will have to try my luck with one of those. I have been saving a few wooden Asian fans wondering what to do with them. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! I love the wooden fans, though the wood is soooo delicate.

      Delete
  15. Hi Sheila. The next project! How exciting! It is good to see this is a smaller build but you are making it quite large still! I look forward to progress. Have a great weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon! I'm really excited. I've been wanting to do a shop for a while.

      Delete
  16. It's so great to see that you are starting new project! Watching all the progress you make is a great thing for me!

    ReplyDelete