Saturday, May 24, 2014

Decor details

The devil is in the details... at least that's what they tell me.  And we zipped through the house pretty quick the other week.  So I thought I'd show you a few of the little details that I really had fun figuring out and working on.

The one thing I especially like about the dollhouse is the foyer/entrance hall or whatever you want to call it.  Vestibule?  I'm keeping my eye out for a few little rugs I could either buy or make for just inside the front door and at the foot of the stairs.  I'd love to put a runner with brass rails on the stairs but that will have to wait for a while.  Something in gold or a good rich maroon maybe?

But I worry the whole entryway will look too cluttered if I put too many rugs in it.  So maybe no runner for the stairs, or only one rug near the dining room and then a runner?  We'll see.

The other issue is whether or not the front door needs some sort of curtain added to the window.  I'm not sure I'd want people able to look in my house through the front door.

In the mean time, here's a little shot of the hall table.


I'm thinking I might make an umbrella for Mrs. Doll and Dolly girl. Or a parasol?
And another shot as if you were looking in the front door.  Pretend that the rear of the house has an actual wall.  Though that could be a fun project... I wonder how much work that would take?  Hmmm...

If you were a doll this is what you'd see from the front door.

The silver basket is from Miniatures.com and the table and mirror are from Hobby Lobby.  The silver box next to the basket is a charm from Hobby Lobby that I took some of the hardware off of so it looked less like it was meant to be hanging from something.




I like how they look together.  Shiny marble floor and shiny marble elephant.


I've had the little marble elephant forever.  Can't remember where I got it.  But it's the right scale for the lower shelf of the table and I like how he looks down there.

He looks pretty good there.


The other thing I love about the entryway is the grandfather clock.  I'd been looking for one that wasn't cheap looking and this was gorgeous.  It actually works if I push the little clock stopper in!  Reminds me so much of the one in my grandmother's house.

My working grandfather clock.



The upper hallway is another place I liked putting in some finishing touches.  One thing I had a lot of fun looking for was artwork.  I really loved finding miniature pictures.
 
I love how the frame matches the sconces and the picture has blue tones in it like the wallpaper.

I decided a vase of flowers was better for the bureau in the hallway rather than the Sears catalog.  And the white contrasts nicely with the wallpaper and dark furniture and floor.
 
And it looks good under the painting. 


And opposite the sconces on the same wall as the stairs is another gorgeous piece. Gold frame again of course.  And a simple landscape scene.  Restful but attractive right?

And its nice that the frame matches the painting opposite. 


I think this picture came from Denise.  I'm not entirely sure though.  But it's perfect for the bedroom.  I love the black and white with the gold frame.


I don't think it quite matches the era of the house but I still like how it looks.
Speaking of the bedroom...

I also thought you'd like to see a little more detail of Mr. Doll's bureau and his accessories.  I got this as a set from Ruetter Porcelain via Ebay and can't regret paying for it because its so perfect!

I remember my Dad had something like this, only doors on both sides.  It always seemed very adult to me.
Mr. Doll is a very proper, well dressed gentleman.  He wouldn't dream of going out without his hat and gloves.

I love the little clock too. 
Here's a closer look.  After all, that pocket watch is very nice isn't it?

I'm still amazed at how real it looks.  The hat is like one of my Grandfather's church hats.

I thought you'd also like to see the pastries in the parlor.  They look so yummy don't they?  The three tiered serving tray was found on Ebay and so were the pastries.  The table is from Denise.  It's the perfect height for next to the sofa.

I could really go for some chocolate cake right now...Yum...
 Here's another view, from above. 

One of those fruit twists or turnovers would really hit the spot right now.
I also put out the coffee set that reminded me of my grandmother's set as well as another tray of pastries.  It's laid out on the coffee table.  I guess that's why it was called that?  Because people used to have coffee there?

I love how the china part of the coffee cups look like they have coffee in them.

And I have a few knick knack's added to the organ top.  Just little mementos.


I think the balloon is my favorite.
And here's a better view of the painting in the parlor.  I just fell in love with it when I saw it. 

Very romantic, at least to me.
I took a few pictures of the liquor cart too.  It's another Reutter Porcelain purchase and the details are so worth the price.

Olives and pineapple!  And a seltzer bottle!

I also did some work on the dining room.  I put the entire china set away and set out the wine glasses.  Man I went through a lot of zots to do this.


All nice and organized.

A closer look at the top of the china cabinet.  I love the look of platters and bigger pieces balanced back against the wall.

That big platter is so pretty.  I'm really pleased with how this turned out.


The sideboard got an addition or two.

A nice tray for after dinner coffee?
And the table looks a bit more finished with the glasses right?

I love the scalloped edges to the bowls.  So pretty!




So that's it for our little decor close up today.  Though I do have one more thing for this house.  We can't neglect Mrs. Doll can we?

It's just a clearance item, not sure what it would be for originally.
But with a little trimming of the feathers...(fluff everywhere...the kitten was terribly amused for five minutes).  We have this:

Any ideas?  No?
Surely you understand that every gentlewoman who attends the theatre must do so with a fan to keep herself refreshed?  A fashionable lady would never be caught dead without her ostrich feather fan.

A little dark but you get the idea. Right?
We have one addition to the kitchen.  Some much needed help.

A cook!  She's obviously been busy.


And now...a little preview of some modern knick knacks.  For the beachhouse.

Something for a shelf? Or on the fireplace mantel?

He was a bead that I unscrewed the loop from.  Isn't he cute?
And a nice modern frame...for a picture or mirror...not sure about that yet.

Another find in the bead/pendant aisle.  I love the scrollwork.
So that's it folks.  I've been doing some painting of the new dollhouse walls and I'll show you guys what I've accomplished in a little while. 

In the meantime have a great holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment