Wednesday, July 19, 2023

A Revision and Some Stools/Benches

 I'll start with the big thing that happened. I got both sides of the roof on!  The glue was still drying when I took the picture but I'm cautiously optimistic that it's going to stay where its supposed to.

I have one super thick Vogue magazine that I use to hold things into place because its just flexible enough for this sort of thing. 



A nice little preview of what the living quarters will look like when everything is finished.


You know me, I can't resist a picture taken through a window. Even without the candles 'lit' I like how it looks.

I also did some work on the chimney for the living quarters. The chimney pots are in place and their decorative aspect added.



I need to add a little edging to the top of the chimney but I want a less regal more rustic look for this build. The former queen doesn't live here after all!

The chimney can't be attached to the house yet. I need to get the roof on the forge first and that's going to take a little bit of work. 

I did revise the handle for my whetstone though. 




It looks a bit more to scale now. At least to me. 

I also made some stools/benches for the living quarters. I read that chairs were actually a rarity during Tudor times, at least for anyone but the wealthy and/or nobility. Most people had stools or benches to sit on.  I guess chairs were complicated to make, kind of like bureaus, so everyone made do with simpler furniture.

To that end I made a start on mine. The glue is drying and once it's done I'll add a few more touches to make them look a little more 'Tudor'. But I think I've made a good start.




You can see that I'm also trying to make a hairbrush. Once the glue is completely dry I'm see if everything holds together when I separate out the bristles. If not, back to the drawing board.

But I got a couple more things crossed off my list. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Oh, Dante is the most intrepid explorer, Sunday morning he decided to investigate the top of the bookshelf. 



How are all of you doing?


Anvils
Tools
Whetstone
Finished goods
Forge Roof/ceiling
Forge Bargeboards
Second floor/ceiling beams
Second floor/ceiling
Second floor walls
Second floor fireplace
Second floor railing (so no one falls down the stairs)
Bed
Candlestick
Dormer
Windows
Forge Chimney
House Chimney
Dragons for chimney and chimney pots
Benches/stools for kitchen. 
Baskets
Rush mats
Knitting/sewing...something for the upstairs bench.
Fur throw
Fireplace tools, (tongs, shovel, poker)
Pease Porridge Pot
Sink with dishes
Bucket of water
Barrel of water for forge
Roof
Bargeboards
Tree
Well/water pump with Water!
Landscaping?

5 comments:

  1. Hi Sheila! Getting the roof attached is a big deal! It looks absolutely wonderful!!! (I love the look of Tudor half-timbered buildings!) The dragons on the chimneys give it a really magical touch. And I agree that the whetstone pedal looks more realistic now. Great Work! And the view through the window is really atmospheric! :):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chimneys with the dragons look great I'm also happy for you to have solved the problem with the whetstone pedal. Dante found the best place in the room where he can inspect whats going on. You have managed to make a lot of successful progress this week.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Sheila the Blacksmith's Shop looks absolutely charming with the roof on! I love this stage of a project when the elements come together and you can actually see the building's personality! There are so many amusing details to enjoy like the carved door, crooked timbers and the dragons on the chimney! Like you, I really enjoy getting a peek through the windows. The whetstone is amazing and I love the stools - it is so much fun to challenge ones self with making authentic looking accessories and yours are wonderful! I bet Dante was so happy that instead of asking him to come off the top of the shelves you only took his photo. Freedom to explore makes life fun, especially for cats whose entire world is lived within four walls. 💗

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seem to be progressing quickly on this build, which seems to mean that it is flowing for you. It’s always nuce when a project just works. It’s looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another intresting fact about the chairs. Thanks!

    I'm a big fan of the chimneys with dragons. Love it.

    ReplyDelete