Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Lower Level Interior Work

 I'm trying to get back in the habit of blogging because it's good for me to have something of a routine. If you follow my Instagram I apologize because the pictures will be reruns. 

But the blog is better for explaining how I did things.

Like adding 'plaster' to the interior walls.



It's not easy to see the texture of the 'plaster' walls but I used the same method of mixing pumice gel into my Ceramcoat Antique White paint and using a rougher brush to dab it on. I've found holding the brush straight up and down and repeatedly 'jabbing' the bristles into the paint gives me a nice texture.  

I also mixed in Americana's Buttermilk paint with the Antique White because I wanted a touch more yellow in the mix. It's not super obvious in the pictures but I like it and I don't have to worry about running out of paint.

I added the floor boards, with little nail holes drilled into each end. The floor is tongue depressors with the curved ends cut off. I bought cheap ones that are occasionally warped which lends an extra element of realism. (Which sometimes I could do without but every little bit helps.)



You can see how I left an area for the hearth. I'm going out of order because I built my fireplace before I laid my floorboards.

Balsa wood and chipboard, under 'stone', painted various colors.


And then with grout added and the back of the oven glued into place.


It looks sufficiently primitive I think.

If you'll recall I had some stairs made up and wanted to test the placement with the chimney. 


It's not terrible but its not great either. So I put them aside for a bit to rethink them and do some drawing on my graph paper to figure out the second floor layout.

I worked on my interior support beams, sanding the wood so it looked more like rough hewn walnut and stained them with my Minwax Dark Walnut. I love this color. It just instantly transports me to Tudor England.



As you can see, I also stained the floorboards. I used Minwax's Chestnut gel stain. I like the color and I think its just dark enough to be realistic without being so dark everything gets lost against it.


As you can see, the 'nail holes' show up nicely with the stain.

I was thinking about adding shutters to the exterior. Most shops would have shutters hinged to the bottom and top of the windows, to open like an awning and counter. People would stop and buy what they needed without even going inside because a lot of the time the 'shop' was also part of the living quarters. 

I forgot I'd intended to do that when I glued my back and right walls to the floor. It's still doable, just a little tricky. I need to find the right widths of wood too. We'll see how it goes.

Remember how I was thinking about changing the stairs. I decided that yes, I wanted to and spent wayyyyy too much time with graph paper and figuring out angles and it just reminded me of how I dislike geometry.

I also reversed the risers so they're higher and the stairs are steeper. It seems more realistic since it wasn't like they had building code inspectors checking up on them.

But the result is more space on the lower level, and a better layout for the upstairs. No more stepping off the staircase and turning right into the chimney.


It gives me space on the second floor for a 'cupboard' bed against the back wall, close to the fireplace, a railing (so no one falls to their death while half asleep) and maybe a chair or something. It's not a huge space.

The walls will extend out maybe an inch or so on the side and one and a half inches on the front, so as you walk up the stairs there'll be a little shelf for storage. And I'll play around with my cabinet I used for space testing so it fits under the stairs next to the side window. 

I've started work on a bellows for the forge, (and forgot to take pictures of my progress) and I've experimented with making ashes.  

I used spackle, black paint to loosen it up and then added Elmer's glue to keep it from crumbling once it dried. I smushed it into a vague pile shape and while it was still wet used sandpaper on black and grey chalks, then added some logs. 

If I like how it looks when its completely dry I'll do something similar for the arch under the forge. 


Looking at the picture you can see I mistakenly grabbed carpenters glue to hold the logs in place. That'll be covered when I add some more 'charcoal' dust to the tops of the logs and the flame effect LED lights.

As a bonus we have Miho sitting in one of my storage drawers, keeping an eye on me while I work.


I need to start making lists of things for this build or I'll forget what I'm doing. Ah the delights of a lousy short term memory.

I hope you're all doing well!


3 comments:

  1. Wow Sheila! You got so much done, and each thing takes a lot of steps to do! The walls, flooring and fireplace all turned out great! I especially like the rough hewn beams that you created - they look so authentic!
    The turned staircase is such a marvelous feature, and your dislike of math does not harm the final result at all!
    I love your ideas for the primitive fire - fireplaces take so many steps, so much planning, so much patience and a good deal of luck. After all these years they still make me really nervous and I rarely ever love my outcome. I hope you find just the right recipe of all these ingredients as you create the fiery elements for this project!
    I would love to see how Miho gets himself into that bin - he looks like he's found a safe and stealthy spot to watch all the excitement that goes on in the house without having to be involved in it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! You are making great progress! I love the min-wax dark walnut stain too.... I use it on everything! :) I think the stairs look much more realistic now, they didn't have codes like you say, and stairs were often very steep and twisty! I think the hearth looks good and the floor looks wonderful! The nail holes are subtle but add that realism. Your brave methods of mixing paint and glue and spackle for your "plaster" walls has me thinking I need to experiment more! Lol! I am always worried about how the materials will mix and last over time.... since I have been working on my Castle for over twelve years now.... I need things to last! Lol! I look forward to seeing what you come up with for your shutters! Those shop "shutters" were such a Medieval standard. And I think they were so practical. You could have half the window open downward to make a countertop, and the other half swing up for an awning. (Pulleys and ropes?) I am sure you will amaze me with what you come up with! And I Love the picture of Miho! Cats are such amazing creatures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The floor turned out perfectly Tudor. I love the stunning "stone" fireplace and the stairs. You are, again making a fantastic project which is interesting to follow. Thank you for posting and sharing your work.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete