Saturday, May 19, 2018

Round or Rectangle

Just a quick little post to get your opinions on the window in the dormer above the door.

I found my round and rectangle windows and taped each of them up.  The round one I put in two different places since it's a small window.

I debated for a while about the diamond vs square window but neither of them looked right to me.  While the diamond echoed the lines of the dormer roof, it looked too modern.  And it was really big.



The square matched the lines of the other windows but it was just too big for the front wall I think.



So here's the rectangle.


They're just phone pictures so they're not that great.  But I like how the rectangle looks.  I could even move it up a bit more so it's about three feet from the floor and it still wouldn't crowd the roof too much.

It's narrow enough for the dormer and it has the advantage of matching the shape of the other windows on the main body of the cottage.

I'll admit, after seeing it I almost didn't bother to try out the round window.  But I figured why not since I'd dug it out to test.

Here it is a bit higher on the dormer.


It's pretty but it's such a small window I'm not sure it works.

Here it is a bit lower.


Much as I like the round window, it still feels a little too modern and it's very small.  So I'm leaning towards the rectangle window.

What do all of you think?


21 comments:

  1. don't like the round one, either. I like the narrow one best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Working some more on the roof today and making the dormer walls.

      Delete
    2. you are incredibly productiv! admire you.... I need to devleop my next project first, waiting for the moment when it hits me! ;-)

      Delete
    3. Well first I need to fix the third floor of the tower, I really am irked with how it's sitting so I need to shift it.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I'm thinking too. It just fits better I think.

      Delete
  3. The rectangle is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's me last: Rectangle too ;)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sheila, I think the rectangle is the most appropriate one to the period, and looks better than the others to my eye! The round is way too modern, not at all Tudor in style! I think if you add the "half timbers" in the triangular area made by the roof it will make the window feel more settled in the space. I think it is all looking fantastic! And I know you are bothered by the not-level floor in your Tower, but consider the facts of old buildings with "cantilevered" floors.... it might be more realistic than you think! LOL! But if it is way off and driving you crazy.... go ahead and fix it! I had the same problem with the top floor on my Tower... it is still a little off....! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's the other thing I've been looking up this week; the pattern of the timbers on timber and lathe buildings.

      The issue with the top floor wasn't it being not quite level, though that is always a potential issue. It was the way it was placed over the stairs. The hole I cut for the stair opening wasn't in the right place over the stairs so the top stair showed way too much and the Queen would bump her head on the third floor coming up the stairs.

      Delete
  6. A mi también me parece el rectángulo, feliz semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree the rectangular is the best window for this purpose. I'm sure you will turn it into a tudor masterpiece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I share the same passion when it comes to dollhouse miniature all the furniture that you made has so much details. One question did you actually made the table foot your self or you got them already made lol thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete