Thursday, April 12, 2018

Tudor Casement Windows

You guys are going to be sick of hearing about windows by the time this build is done.

I did what I rarely do and I actually worked on the dollhouse on a couple of weeknights.  Usually I'm too tired from work to do anything with my hands but for some reason I felt up to it this week.  Maybe I was just impatient to finish.

I bought three casement windows from Miniatures.com and fitted them with the blackened mesh as well.  I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out.  One will go in the third level of the tower and the other two will go on the large gables on the second floor.  So I need to do more cutting of the MDF this weekend.




Anyway.  After the glaze dried on the front of the windows I decided I did want mesh on the inside as well.  So I got more of it blackened and fitted to the back of the flat glass.  And added glaze once the glue had dried.

I got glue in my hair but it was worth it.

I also made the window openings smaller.  Too small as it turns out but that's what I get for not paying enough attention.  It's only balsa wood so it should be easy to sand down or cut out.


Once the glaze had dried I then began my process of getting the windows fitted into the casements and the pin hinges working properly.  I ended up using pieces of paperclip cut up because they were thicker than pins and fit the holes I'd drilled.

All in all I'm fairly pleased with how the windows have turned out.





I braced the side wall windows in the openings to give you an idea of how they'll look once they're in place.  I like the effect.  I think once the stone is up and there's some contrast of the dark with the grey/taupe stone it'll look even better.


I can't show you much of how the tower windows will look at the moment.  But I'm hoping to do some more work on the tower this weekend after I finish the bay window.

The other thing I really want to do is fit the inside trim with shutters to close in bad weather.  I might try to figure that out this weekend if I can't get my mind around how to do the tower.

How's everyone else's week going?

18 comments:

  1. Oh wow, the windows really look good. And that you faced the mesh to the interior as well will photograph so well! It's feeling so authentic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That's what I was thinking too, in pictures the flat inner glass wouldn't look right.

      Delete
  2. The windows look wonderful and the baywindow is so well done. I like the idea that they can be opened, Sheila.
    I recognise the feeling of the mini-virus that can have bitten you so much, that you still have to go on at night. Especially when the ideas are continously coming ;O!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I need to finish the bay window but getting the windows in and hinged properly was necessary before I could do anything else with it.

      I think part of it is the windows are so time consuming, they'll eat up a weekend so I wanted to get the done and be able to work on other things. Like figuring out the third floor of the tower and whether or not I'll need to make some more windows for it.

      Delete
  3. The windows look great! It will look so good when you take pictures of the interior, and so cool that they open and close :-). Keep doing what you're doing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad they turned out pretty well. They're not perfect and of course I see every little flaw, but I think they'll work.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll kind of glad they're done. Even if I have to make more for the big dormer I'll at least have a process down for them.

      Delete
  5. Time consuming but rewarding. The results speak for themselves. Great work!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's kind of a relief to be done with them for now.

      Delete
  6. Wa Wa Wa WOW! The windows are so freaking fantastic! The mesh could not have worked out any better, Sheila! These are going to add such an amazing detail to the whole build! Can't wait for Sunday's post to see what other magic you are creating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling cautiously excited about my progress.

      Delete
  7. They look amazing Sheila!! And it is good to hear that you had the energy to get some things done after work. When I have the energy, it does help relax me and I feel better having accomplished something. Enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually am tired after work, and also if I get going on a project I lose track of time and don't go to bed. Which is bad when I need to be up at five thirty. But this time it worked out.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sheila! The windows are looking Fantastic! And you are working at the speed of light! LOL! I think putting the mesh on both sides of the glass is a great idea... I always like to see the views from the interior looking as realistic as the ones from the exterior! And with the windows all being casements that open (love that feature!!!) you will be seeing both sides of the windows close up. I think the staining you are doing looks great and I am never bored by posts about fantastic functional windows! :) I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad they're turning out all right.

      Delete
  9. It's looking great Sheila! I have window envy. I also have miniature making time envy. Life is intruding on my time way too much at present, but I will do a post to update my house progress soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know what you mean. It's rare I get to make minis during the week due to my regular job. Hope you get more time for minis and I can't wait to see your progress.

      Delete