Sunday, November 25, 2018

Roof and Tree

This was a long weekend of a lot of work but not a lot of pictures.  I spent a good portion of the holiday making more shingles.  And after reading through Jodi and Brae's methods for making trees I ordered supplies which arrived in time for the weekend and the beginning of my apple tree.

I'm running low on candy tuft because I ordered one basil green and one deep green and the basil works better for the apple tree.  I ordered more which hopefully will arrive soon.

But here's how my apple tree started.  I used up every bit of wire I had and wrapped it around some of the leftover dowel I used for the staircase center support.  I wanted a thick trunked tree rather than a thin one, even if I couldn't make it really tall.


Latex over the wire. This is the second coat.


Then brown paint.


Then a mix of brown and grey.  I'd put a coat on, then water it down and streak it over the dark brown.  It seemed to work pretty well.


And then adding some candy tuft.



I worked on the tree when I had to let some glue dry on the roof.  I was originally going to paint the shingles before putting them on the roof.  But I honestly just didn't have the space and it would take me twice as long to get it done.  I couldn't be sure how many strips of shingles I'd need to make, and I was worried I'd end up having to make more, paint them and glue them on and I wasn't sure how long everything would take.

I started out by making flashing out of cardboard and painting it black.  Black is the base coat of the roof so it'll blend nicely once I get the rest painted and then made to look like slate with grey and brown.


The card board is from various sources, wine box dividers which are thicker, cereal boxes, mailer envelopes... I'm hoping that will give me a bit more dimension as well as realism.


I tried to match up my shingle rows on the dormers and main portion as much as I could.  I think it came out pretty well.

So right now I just need to put the roof on the tower and then paint.  I've got some sponge brushes which will make the aging of the roof easier.  I'll probably do a bit of that tomorrow night, or I'll work on the garden walls.  Brae has a count down on her site and I'm feeling a bit... squeezed.

And I got some moss so I can age the stones and the base of the house a bit.  It'll come in handy on the tree roots as well.

I also started on my garden base and walls.  I used Styrofoam for the walls, to keep them light.  And I'll glue more of my 'stone' to them and paint it to match the house.  I'm probably going to go with a more squared off stone look simply to make my life a little easier.


I'm waiting to glue on the bargeboards and topper for the main roof until after I've painted.  I figured why glue them on and then have to tape them up so they're waiting for now.

That's pretty much it for me for the weekend.  I hope everyone had a good holiday!

Create 'slate' roof
           Put Roof on House
           Paint roof.
Wiring
Finish back of house and tower
Doves/Pigeons for dovecote - Got need to glue on
Basic landscaping around the minimal base.
Lean to, to hide light switches.
Label Switches
Kitchen
          Hang sausages-mailed
          Age Bread paddles
          Cloak - Anna
Create front garden
          Make tree? - more candy tuft ordered.
          Make stream?
          Make lake/river to go alongside house
          Make stone wall to go around garden
          Iron front gate. 

23 comments:

  1. EXCELLENT!!! I am totally bowled over by your roof AND your tree! I like the way you have varied the colours of the bark by streaking the branches with brown and grey and how you've incorporated the Candytuft which was a Splendid Idea and it WORKS!
    The shingles are unusual and in keeping with your Old English theme and I can't wait to see the future herbalist garden.
    Keep it coming Sheila; you are getting closer and closer to the finish line! :D❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I'm hoping to get a bit more done on the roof tonight. Thankfully my husband bought an Alexa from Amazon to give us reminders so it'll chime at about 8pm and remind me to stop and wind down so I can sleep.

      Delete
  2. The roof looks fantastic, Sheila, as the tree does, both are fantastic work!!
    I still have a question: candy tuft, is it that stuff you've put on the branches, it looks to me like natural material, moss, or something? The Google translator tells me it's candy ;)!
    The garden walls are promising, I can't wait to see more of the future garden.
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilona! Candy tuft is a plant that you can buy dried and colored. Brae found hers at a place called Scenic Solutions which is where I ordered more of mine.

      I'm excited about those walls. I really want them to look like stone!

      Delete
  3. Hello Sheila,
    Great job on the tree. It is looking perfect. I look forward to seeing the finished roof. the shingles look great.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Giac! I'm excited with how it's turning out.
      Hugs!

      Delete
  4. The tree is just wonderful and coming along so nicely! Can't wait to see it completed and planted in the courtyard! But that roof! Oh Sheila! It is marvelous!!! Love, love, love it so much! Good luck with the painting and the walls and the water features this week! I'll be looking forward to progress posts! And don't get nervous. You'll make the deadline with no trouble at all because everything is falling into place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I'm excited to get the rest of my candytuft so I can finish it and get the bits painted properly where the glue attaches.

      I always get nervous! And I always finish.

      Delete
  5. The tree is stunning! The roof is fantastic. What a great achievement! No need to tell your again how wonderful this project is and how I love waiting for each new post.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora! I've got a quiet evening of roofing, stone or leaves planned for tonight so with luck I'll have some more progress!

      Delete
  6. Estás haciendo un trabajo fantástico, el árbol tiene un aspecto muy real, las ramas están en perfecta armonía y el tejado estoy expectante de ver el resultado fina.Buena semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow The tree looks real! I am very interested to observe the creation of a tree! And the roof .... I love this roof! I love uneven tiles! Amazing work!
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've always wanted to have a big tree near a dollhouse and I'm so excited with how this is turning out so far.

      I'm really glad the roof is looking good. New techniques are always a concern.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Sheila, your tree is just Awesome!!! I know I repeat myself, but I love every part of this project! And I really admire your ability to stick to a deadline and to tackle new and challenging processes! (I am a ditherer when faced with too many decisions.....!) Your decision to paint the roof in place makes sense given the time pressure you are working under. I did it that way on The Folly roof... and I don't recall having any problems with drips or spills! I am sure you will be relieved when it is done and you can focus on the garden! I already love the enclosed feeling the wall gives the space..... a walled garden is on my list of "someday" projects! (I might just need to move into this cottage when you are done! LOL!) As usual, I can't wait to see more! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! I've got painters tape to keep paint from spattering on the plaster and stone.

      My candytuft should arrive on Friday so I hopefully will be able to finish the tree.

      Delete
  9. The roof looks fantastic as well as the tree, both are fantastic work!! I look forward to seeing the finished roof. It's a great pleasure to look on your work <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's my first time doing a roof like this and my very first tree so I'm excited that folks like them.

      Delete
  10. THat tree! It looks so real! I am so impressed! And the roof looks great too! I definitely think you made the right decision to tile and then paint. You are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penelope! I was really worried because its my first. But general consensus seems to be it looks good. Huge relief!

      I'm working on the tower roof, bit by bit, then it's just finishing it off with paint and a bit of moss here and there, and finishing up the back of the house and the main part is done.

      Delete
  11. No doubt you've already accomplished more this weekend already but I've throughly enjoyed catching up on the last couple of posts! I can't get over these shingles! I like the way the dovecote really stands out now too. I love the view of your cottage front elevation so much so I'm really interested in seeing how this front walled garden works with it. It does make sense to have private a garden space. And your tree is one of the best I've seen and it's not even complete. I think you nailed the branches. I cannot wait to see more!! HOW IS IT ALREADY DECEMBER?? You are going to do so amazing in this contest!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristine! I'm so glad you like how it's turning out. I'm planning on having part of the garden open, on the side so I can pictures of the front of the house from an angle. I was so worried about that tree but you all seem to like it so I'm a little more relaxed about it.

      I can't believe its already December! 16 days! I need to start pulling out my hair... But I get a day and a half extra this coming Thursday and Friday so I'll have some more time to get it done.

      I hope I do well. I've pretty much decided that if I don't I might buy the next kit if I like it but I won't enter the contest unless I get a house done by some miracle. Less pressure.

      Delete
  12. I love the tree - it looks like a beautiful old one. Great job.
    And the roof starts to look amazing - I think that mixing different cardboards was an excellent idea! Can't wait to see the final effect. :)

    ReplyDelete