Sunday, November 18, 2018

Wiring & Landscaping

We had a lot of cleaning to do this weekend and so I got a late start on the dollhouse.  The bright side of that is I have a four and a half day weekend and since we don't live near family I won't have to do a lot of cooking or traveling.  My husband is a sweetie who doesn't see the point of me working in the kitchen all day just for the two of us.

So I'll have plenty of time to work on the dollhouse over the Thanksgiving weekend.  And our boss lets us out at 12 on the Wednesday before which is also nice.

I got some wire in the mail for my tree if I get the time to make it.  So I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make an apple tree for my WQ.  Oh, Anna was asking her name, so I've decided upon Cecelia Alyce.

Anna has kindly offered to send me a cloak for WQ Cecelia since sewing is not exactly an enjoyable pastime for me these days.  So that's exciting!

I received my shrink tubes in the mail and was able to get my wiring all set.  That's a nice feeling.  And I tested my lights again.  All of them work.  Also a nice feeling.  Then I turned out the lights and took pictures just for fun.



 I actually like that the lights aren't super bright.  Candles wouldn't be really.

I then labeled all of my switches.


I thought about using a transformer and the plugs for the wires but honestly, I like the batteries and how I can have individual switches for the different lights and rooms.

I added some of the grass I bought to the edges of the base and some rocks around the bottom of the tower.  I'm going to brush them with some glue and some moss, hopefully some weeds to make them look a bit more natural.



It wasn't easy to get them glued to the tower.  But they finally stuck.  I'm really hoping I can figure out some water to go around the tower but until that point I've got the grass.

I made some door plates for my front door handles and got them painted and a keyhole drilled out, then glued the handles to them.


I added a bit more black to them before I glued them to the door, I didn't like how bright they were in comparison to the hinges.  Some metallic black made them look more like bronze or dull brass.


Once the glue is completely dry I'll make sure I get any excess removed.

I made a lean to so I could hide all my wires and switches and put it against the back of the house.


I drilled some shallow holes for my magnets and glued them in then put tape over them to keep them from coming out and clinging to the opposite magnets I have on the inside of the lean-to roof.


I've started the stages of finishing out the back of the house, plastered the lean-to so it'll dry, added stone and then plastered the upper portion of the back wall.  This way I can paint next week and when it's drying get my beams stained.



I've also started working on the shingles for my roof.


I need a lot more, but once I get them all cut out I think getting them on the roof will go fairly quickly.  The link I found says to paint after glue the shingles to the house.  I'm not sure that's a good idea since the house is all finished and pretty on the outside.  So I'm thinking that one over.

I went through my animals and found my WQ two of her cats and the hedgehog that lives in her kitchen.  People used to keep them because they'd eat bugs and slugs.

I think there will be one more cat to live there, but I haven't decided on her yet.


This is Bathsheba.  She's very regal.



Hedgehog doesn't have a name yet.  Still thinking about that one.  But I was considering Arthur.


This is Boadicea.  She's a little mischievous and I worry she'll try to poke at Hedgehog Arthur.


The mantle in the bedroom, with her mirror, brush and the crown her late husband gave her.  I made the cushion and box for it to sit on.



One last picture of the outside of the house so far.


I need to stop at the Hobby Lobby and get some of the rubber latex for the tree.  Once I get my roof done I think I'll have time to do the front garden at least.  I'm reading up on how to do water and I might be able to do that but I'm not sure yet.

But I did knock down my list quite a bit.

Create 'slate' roof
           Put Roof on House
Wiring
Finish back of house and tower
Doves/Pigeons for dovecote - Got need to glue on
Basic landscaping around the minimal base.
Lean to, to hide light switches.
Label Switches
Kitchen
          Hang sausages
          Age Bread paddles
          Cloak - Anna
Create front garden
          Make tree?
          Make stream?
          Make lake/river to go alongside house
          Make stone wall to go around garden
          Iron front gate. 

30 comments:

  1. It is looking FABULOUS!! The night lit house is just gorgeous but golly that organised 'birds-nest' of wires would have me freaking out completely LOL. I find it interesting that you prefer the batteries to the power board as I had been pondering what would be a better solution in order to manage the individual light on/off scenario.
    Arthur looks like a bit of a Phil to me, but he is very, very cute.
    Hugs, Anna x
    PS I am keeping my fingers crossed that the cloak will fit nicely on its peg when it arrives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna! I'm excited for the cloak to arrive. I'm sure it will be wonderful.

      The nest of wires isn't really that bad, it's mostly confusing because they're all the same color. Apparently there are ways to do individual switches that aren't run by batteries but I haven't figured it out yet and the batteries are much easier for me.

      Phil... the only issue I have with that is that Phillip reminds me of Phillip of Spain and since I'm mentally putting the house in Great Britain or Ireland the name wouldn't fit. Padraig is a possibility...

      Delete
  2. I LOVE seeing the first picture: the night lit house in the dark looks spooky and really old! The whole looks so beautiful already, Sheila, and it's good solution to collect the wires, label them and put them in the little box at the back gable.
    I'm curious to see how the house will look like when there's some more grass at the underside of the walls and the apple tree in the garden. It will be quite a job to do that...
    I think the house coming alive with animals, the cats are completely feeling at home, but I think Arthur doesn't feel very safe being with Boadicea in the kitchen, he is watching her ;).
    What a nice surprise that Anna makes you a mantle for your WQ, lucky you, Sheila, knowing her blog/work I bet it will be gorgeous!
    You've done a lot this weekend, so I think you can catch the deadline :)!
    Hugs, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona! No, Arthur looks a little worried doesn't he? I'm excited to get some longer grass and moss... a little bit to make the cottage appear just a bit older. Right now, it still appears a bit new.

      Delete
  3. I have been following you on this project from the beginning and what you have achieved is incredible. You have created the perfect atmosphere; the house is so full of character and charm. I love it. Can you see the light at the end of the tunnel? I can and it´s wonderful. I make my roofs the same way, and I also paint after I glue the shingles, It´s not messy and for me works well because I can picture the whole thing at once and see where I need to apply the different touches, but I am sure whatever you do it would look just right as the rest of the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alexandra! That's something of a relief actually, to know that you do the roofing the same way. My biggest worry is that the paint would get on the walls of the house. I'll just have to be careful most likely.

      Delete
  4. Hello Sheila,
    I love the lighting effect using the batteries. It look so realistic and the intensity of the light is perfectly authentic. The exterior of the house is really coming along. The landscaping is great and I look forward to seeing the roof.
    Big hug
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giac! I really do love those battery switches! It just seems to work well for me. That's how I did the Craftsman Cottage as well.

      I'm hoping to keep working on cutting shingles through the week so I'll have enough to work on the roof over the weekend. Then I can play with a walled garden and a tree!

      Delete
  5. The first photo with the lights on is just perfect, a bit mysterious and spooky. Having animals in the house make it a home. As always your work is great and a pleasure to follow.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woodland Scenics - Water Effects or Realistic Water. It's a bit pricey but not exorbitantly so, and a bottle will last you forever.

    I just love how this project has evolved. It really makes a difference when you can tell the artist has their heart into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keli! I actually bought some of that so I could experiment and have it on hand if I got that far. So here's hoping!

      I'm excited about it too! Everything I wanted to do has been so clear it's been really enjoyable.

      Delete
  7. When I saw the first photo I just couldn't say a word! What a wonderful picture! It looks absolutely perfect, not to bright, very warm and you almost can feel the fire that gives a light and warmth. You did an amazing job.

    And then I saw interiors and I lost my tongue again. :D

    I would really love to live in a house like this. Just with the shower. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kamelia! I agree...a working bathroom is a must.

      Delete
  8. Me encanta tus luces Sheila, le da un toque cálido y como dices acorde con la época . Tus avances se ven fantásticos:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gracias! Estoy tan contenta de que te gusten!

      Delete
  9. I haven't checked in for ten days and you've made some awesome progress! Love the animals. Those shingles look like a lot of work but they're going to be just right for the exterior of your house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! I've been going along as fast as I can. It's getting close to deadline!

      Delete
  10. Dear Sheila, you are Amazing!!! There is nothing that stands in your way when you want to get something done!!! The Cottage is looking Awesome both inside and out!!! I Just love every single thing you add... the cats and the hedgehog!! are perfect! (I think "Lancelot" might be better than Arthur for a name! Lol!) The lights look wonderful shining through the windows at night... I love to see dollhouses lit at night... it adds so much to the realism! I tend to agree with you... Paint your shingles first!!! If you paint them after attaching them... they won't look as "separate" rows.... besides the risk of paint where it shouldn't be! I do hope you have time to figure out the water part.... but if not before the contest deadline.... build it afterwards! I think it would look fantastic! I hope you have a great week of building on your Quiet Thanksgiving! I can't wait to see more! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Betsy! Hedgehog Arthur is called that because the cats are named for queens so he needed to be named for a king. Otherwise the cats would lord it over him.

      I think painting the shingles first will be the way to go. Otherwise I'm going to have issues.

      Delete
  11. The animals are great! (I prefer animals to people in miniature scenes) The lighting is also very nice and I love the little shed to house (and hide) all of the wires. Very inspiring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Troy! I prefer animals too. Dolls just don't look alive enough to me, they break the illusion that this is a 'real' house. At least the dolls I can afford do.

      Delete
  12. Sheila you have totally TRANSFORMED this HBS kit from a frog into a PRINCESS! The scope of your re-build is Phenomenal and your storyline and realization is PURE DELIGHTFUL!
    LOVE the animals and the lighting - and EVERYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! I'm hoping to get the roof done, at least partially, this weekend.

      Delete
  13. I always looked forward to my long Thanksgiving mini weekends, but this year I will be busy with other obligations. Love that nighttime pic - those are always so magical! Wiring is always unruly, batteries and transformers alike. Those door handles are ingenious! Animals always bring a scene to life. You've chose some great characters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brae! I really am looking forward to my weekend. Roofing and hopefully garden making... I need to practice my picture taking too.

      I love animals! To me a house isn't complete without them.

      Delete
  14. This looks great! I will have to catch up on all your other posts, but it looks so fabulous. I love the ceiling. And your animals of course! And it's so great that all your lighting worked. That's the best feeling. I am also moving more towards just the battery approach. It's so much easier than getting the wires into those plugs. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Penelope! I'm really hopeful that I can get the bulk of the roofing done this weekend. Happy Thanksgiving!

      Delete
  15. It's so exciting to see the cottage with all the candlelight shining through the windows, all the accessories being put in place, all the animals to make it a home, and all the exterior details that just add more and more charm! I hope your extended holiday time is wonderfully and creatively fulfilling, and good luck with the apple tree and roofing! Can't wait to see them, and hopefully, the water feature around the tower, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jodi! I love having animals in a house. Tree is coated with rubber and a lot of cardboard strips cut. Now I just need to get the shingles cut out and painted!

      Delete