Wednesday, January 31, 2018

WG Retirement Cottage Inspiration

My Wicked Queen's cottage is taking a lot of inspiration from the Tudor period, as I think I've mentioned.  Something set in Ireland or England, suitable for a quiet life.

And my Wicked Queen is adamant that she is not actually Wicked. She's been stereotyped.

I'm hoping to use egg carton stones for the exterior of the first floor.  I was thinking a nice varying grey with a touch of brown here and there.  Something like this?

I like the roof on this one too.  



I don't know if I want to do vines on this house or not.  Depends on what I do with the garden.  I'd really like a little walled in front garden with a stream going through it and a gate.

I had (and I doubt this will come to fruition) the idea of a fairy tale cottage with the garden always feeling and looking like spring and summer while outside the walls there was snow and ice.  Don't know how I'd pull that off but its in the back of my mind.

The upper floors of the main cottage will be the timber and plaster look like the second cottage.  And for the tower I'm thinking of experimenting with the brick like Jodi did for her room box.   In a darker red brick? Something like this.


See the brick on the second story?  If I did that with grey stone around the windows it would tie into the main body of the cottage. It would also have the benefit of looking like something my Wicked Queen added to the cottage after she retired because until brick became cheap it wasn't something used commonly during the Tudor period.  At least that's what my reading said.

For the interior walls I'm thinking I'll use some plaster to make them look white washed, and have dark exposed wood beams on the ceilings and underside of the roof.

The furniture is another issue entirely.  Tudor furniture is this really curious blend of gorgeous delicate carving and chunky posts. 

A lot of the walls had wooden panels covering them and they were carved with what was called 'linen fold' designs.  Like this.


They'd have this on furniture too, like the panels on a headboard of a four poster bed.



So I'd love to be able to recreate this look on the barewood bed that I purchased.

Those little panels on the foot board and head board are crying out for some detail.  So I think I'll be experimenting with my dremel on scrap wood and seeing what I can do to achieve the same look with paper. 

I've purchased some pretty trim, the type you can use for a floor inlay, and I'm hoping to recreate the look of this chest.


We'll see.  And I'm going to try and build a table like this one.

This is a McQueenie kit and it's pricey to buy if I can't make one on my own.  I'm thinking some newel posts, and more of my bass wood from Hobby Lobby to start.


I love the color of it. So I want to try and do something similar with stain. 

And I bought two of these 'pews' which are similar to a Tudor settle and I can play around with them.  Not sure how they'll work with the sight lines in the rooms.  We'll see.


I also got a spinning wheel and I'm researching what a loom from the 17th century would look like.  I don't know if I'll have the ability to make one but it would be cool for the upstairs if I could pull it off.

I think the upstairs would be the work room, books, spinning wheel, a few odds and ends, that sort of thing.  The main floor is where she'd live mostly. So bed, table, sink (I think?) and settle or chair, that sort of thing.

And the tower would serve as the staircase and also a top floor for star gazing.  I need to figure out what a 17th century telescope would look like. 

Still working it out in my head but I'm excited.  Every time I start one of these contests I end up learning new things.  Exciting!

How is everyone else doing?  I'm being lazy mini-wise, not working on anything except research.

26 comments:

  1. Your ideas all look very promising! I really like the idea of the garden being always sunny and warm, and outside the estate the snow and cold :-). And a telescope, that would be awesome!
    I'm working on my first 1/6 diorama myself, but it progresses too slow, I need to speed up a bit :-D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Promising but we'll see how well they work out!

      Can't wait to see your diaorama! I have to make sure I've got your blog listed in my feed so I don't miss it.

      Delete
    2. I love the flowers no the roof if your Wicked House! Best of luck! I hope your dreams comes through! :)

      Delete
  2. Will the building bridge the stream as in the one photo? That would be cool.

    You are so busy already! Your excitement is energizing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that would be very cool. I don't think I could pull it off though, not enough space since I'm trying to keep the footprint relatively small. I'll have to think about it.

      Thanks! I'm hoping once I get the kit to really get some of these ideas in action.

      Delete
  3. I'm loving all the ideas, textures, furniture, finishes and all! I wonder if you could build the structure on stone pillars on each corner, raised about 2 or 3 inches, arched brick or stone between them, and create a sort of mote underneath? That would be cool, and the footprint would go up and not so much out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to have to really think about that... it would be so cool. It'll really depend on my water effects and how good I get with it.

      Delete
  4. Con todo la documentación tu proyecto tiene visos de ser espectacular,las fotografías me encanta; sobre todo el tejado de la segunda. Tienes mucho trabajo por delante, estaré encantada de ver tus avances. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muchas gracias! Espero poder hacer justicia a mis fuentes con el resultado final.

      Delete
  5. Ohhhhhh, are you torturing us?? I can´t wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL No...I hope its not torture. No kit yet so all I can do is research and order a few things.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures and very inspiring documentation with us, Sheila, your ideas all look very promising! You say that you are 'lazy' mini-wise, but I think your mind is working on top speed, in making plans ;)!
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope I can get at least some of these ideas working in real life.

      My mind always works at top speed, it's making my hands keep up that's the problem!

      Delete
  7. Wow! You are doing a thorough research on the subject. Thanks for sharing the photos. I love all the houses. The first one is colorful and I think the blooming climbers are a must if you decide to make this style.
    I will love to follow your work on this project.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it.

      I'm so OCD about research, I'm hoping to make this as authentic as possible. Blooming climbers... not sure. Maybe some, a la Sleeping Beauty.

      Delete
  8. Hi sheila! Your plans look really exciting! I Love all things Medieval... have studied the times for many years (hence my Castle Dollhouse and the painted ceilings...) I think your project is going to be wonderful to follow!!! It is fun to try to be authentic to a period... and allow for "additions" that came as time passed... it can help to give your place a date and story... at least I try to do that so I keep from making glaring anachronisms! I am glad to hear the Witch wasn't really wicked.... witches have gotten a bad rap for years! I am really enjoying the eye candy you have been posting... it is reminding me of how much I have "unfinished" on my Castle! LOl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping this will be an interesting process. I love Medieval but the Tudor and Renaissance periods are my favorite. Once the printing press was invented everything just got so interesting.

      LOL not a witch. Though maybe she can do magic, maybe not, she hasn't said. She's just got some interesting hobbies.

      Currently my big item to research is when water pumps became common in households and what they were made of.

      Delete
    2. Silly me... I am the one with Witches on the mind! LOL! I guess the W.Q. just hired the W.Witch! :)

      Delete
    3. :-) Possibly. She neither confirms nor denies the use of magic. She's very cagey about the whole thing.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sheila, I think pumps were not used before the eighteenth century. It was all buckets in wells and gravity fed springs or cisterns from rainwater collection. The pumps were much later than one would think and not in common use til the nineteenth century. But I might be wrong... and only thinking of America where things were primitive for much longer than in Europe! Research will be fun...! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I know that they were invented in the 17th century but I think they were all pretty public, street pumps, that sort of thing. It would be very unlikely for someone to have one inside the house next to their sink.

      So my sink I'm going to need to make a wooden bucket and stand for it, so it can be filled and emptied.

      Delete
  10. Your building plans all look marvellous! That said the mini furniture you've got going on has really captured my attention. That bed! Ah! So darling. I love the table too. I know you'll make some crazy amazing custom pieces for the build :)
    I'm really interested in seeing your floor plan. Did I miss that post? Hmmm I'll have to double back and check. It's so hard with those smaller dollhouses to fit everything in. The bed made me wonder how much space you were going to have for everything.
    Keep on planning! You'll have your kit in your hands soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No floor plan so far, just the front elevation. I'm going with the idea that its about 14.5 inches wide for the interior and 23.5 inches long. So its a decent size footprint and if I divide that in two it could work pretty well.

      Delete
  11. Love your inspirations! The wood detailing will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm hoping! I've never done wood carving before so if I can't it's going to get interesting really quick.

      Delete