Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Upside Of Home Repairs

So this week the home repairs finally started.  I took Thursday and Friday off, well, part of Thursday because there were a few things at work that I needed to do so I spent about three hours there and got home by a little after ten in the morning when the repair guys arrived.

That was a long day.

But by Friday afternoon at four thirty I had a finished bedroom and all that was left in the bathroom was the paint that needed to dry.

Thursday I spent making sure all of my electrical connections worked once I got everything plugged in.  Everything works! Yay.  I didn't get much more than that done though because I felt like I was going to fall asleep.

I added a plug to the living room floor for the lamp.



And then wired everything in.





Always nice to have the lights work when you put everything together.

So for the past two days I've been working on the dollhouse furniture.  This was my first time working from one of Kris's kits and I was really pleased with how easy it was to follow.  I thought about using my multi colored dot fabric for the chairs but I it seemed like too much of it would be overwhelming in the space.

I'd already made the window seat cushion out of it. You see?



So I decided on a plain off white linen look fabric. It's got irregular spots of brown here and there which I liked.  Not as easy to see in pictures but I still liked how it looked.

And because it's a mini house I figured I could get away with a lighter fabric. Less chance of someone dripping grape juice or coffee on it.  I also decided to use some of the same embroidery thread as piping.  I like how it looks because it seems softer than the regular piping.  And I used French knots as my buttons.  If I really hate how they look after a while I'll put the regular buttons over them but I want to live with the chairs as they are for a bit and see how I like them.


The other decision was the legs.  I started out painting them a dark brown and really didn't like it.  It was too dark with the light fabric and it seemed like it would just blend in with the floor.

And since I wanted the house to have a quirky feel to it, I decided to paint the chair legs the same turquoise as the piping.  It's the same color as the front door.


Attaching the legs took a little bit of doing, my T-pin didn't work as well as Kris's but I had a couple of mini drills and managed to widen the holes enough for the toothpicks to go in.


Quirky enough do you think?  I like them.

And the cushions I got from Anita's shop look great with them.


And they fit into the living room portion of the house pretty well.


One with the lights on.


And one with them off.

Next I started working on the bedding.  I got the pillows from Brae's shop and the mattress from Miniatures.com but the bedding is from my stash of fabrics.  The blanket at the foot of the bed is a piece of felt folded up like a blanket.



I like how it looks, so far at least.  I think I might want to put another layer of polish on the bed. And add a few pieces to the shelves to decorate a little.

Today I'm hopefully going to work on some trim for the roof and start putting all of the stuff from the bedroom and bathroom back where it belongs.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend.






15 comments:

  1. sheila, your chairs are fab! are those kits or did u make them from scratch? adorable...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're one of Kris Compass's kits. Thank you! I was so excited that they worked.

      Delete
  2. It’s looking so homely now with everything coming together! The chairs look great alone and in the space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Looking at them just makes me want to curl up with a good book.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Sheila! I'm your new follower. I like your house. Very interesting ideas. Colors are perfectly matched. Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good to see you and I hope you enjoy reading here.

      Delete
  4. I love everything I see. It is coming together very nicely, but I must say that those seats are fantastic! such a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how they turned out. Kris's kits are really gorgeous.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sheila! I like your choice of fabric for the new chairs, by the way it is a great kit from Kris. The color fits better than the multi colored fabric, I guess you now have more possibilities for chosing matching other colors, but that's something personal ;). Everything is coming nicely together, I can't wait to see more.
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted something a little more neutral for the fabric.

      Delete
  6. I love the seats. They look great with the blue legs and cushions. The bed too is neat and in style with the interior. Looking forward to your next post.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping with all the details in the house everything will look more lived in.

      Delete
  7. I LOVE LOVE your chairs! Great choice on colors. I have eyed that kit, but I have too many kits. And I have always loved the bed, and those fabrics look great. So exciting that all the lights work! It all looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually bought two of that kit and the couch because they look so cool. And not very hard to make either.

      I was very excited all my lights worked.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete