Friday, November 24, 2017

Thanksgiving Clothes

We don't have any family near us except for each other so Thanksgiving is usually a nice quiet day for us.

My husband spent most of the day watching football.  I spent it making clothes for the dollhouse and fooling around with little keepsakes for the shelves inside the murphy bed.

Let's take a look at the shelves first.  I don't want them too busy but I have the idea that my homeowner has tried to travel somewhere new when she gets vacation time and picks up a reminder to look at when she's home.

I started out with some drink markers I got from a site called Modcloth a while back.


I cut off the sticks and picked a couple of animals and supplemented them with a few other pieces I had.


A couple of charms minus their loops, some little shells and a few semi precious crystals.


Amethyst from Ontario, a lighthouse for South Carolina, a wolf for Montana, sea shells from the Caribbean, an elephant from West Africa and a black jaguar from South America.  The cloisonné bird is a souvenir from Korea, the topaz from Utah, the little house with the windmill from Graue Mill in Oak Brook, Il, and the binoculars are from a whale watching trip to Maine.

I'm going to live with the pieces there for a bit and try to decide if I need to add or remove anything before gluing them in permanently.

For the clothing I went through my fabric stash to find pieces that would look cheerful and colorful on the rack but still be appropriate for someone who works in an office and would get a couple weeks vacation a year.

I didn't do a lot of sewing, though glue and strategic folding of fabric was big.  I'm saving my sewing for any outerwear I need for the hall tree.  I'll have to find some patterns for little coats.


I don't think it looks too bad.  I might take one of the sweaters off and have it thrown over the top of a chest, rather than hanging on the rack.

More to do this weekend, but for now I'm taking a little break and resting my eyes.

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!

16 comments:

  1. ... this does not look bad at all ;-) pretty realstic..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping a few coats on the hooks will help with the realism.

      Delete
  2. Hello, Sheila! I think you had a good time. I like plastic figurines of animals and tiny clothes. It looks very realistic. Hugs, Julia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really fell in love with those animals.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheila! What wonderful little details you have added! I love it that each "memento" has a known specific location! What a well traveled homeowner! The clothes look great and I admire the "non-sewn" technique! I tend to sew everything... and then the stitches are out of scale...:(! I Think it would be good to take the bulky sweater off the rack.... it probably wouldn't do well on a hanger anyway! (In RL, I mean!) I'm glad you had such a peaceful and productive Thanksgiving!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I spent a bit of time thinking of place each piece could come from. I can sew I'm just...lazy about it these days because glue is so easy!

      I agree, the sweater wouldn't do well on hangers in real life. I need to buy some tinfoil to make it wrinkle up and stay in place on the top of the pillow cabinet.

      Delete
  4. You've spent the day well with making wonderful clothing, Sheila, and I like the idea of collecting souvenirs from vacation by the owner. All looks realistic ;)!
    Have a nice weekend.
    Ilona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I really want the homeowner to have an eclectic sort of house.

      Delete
  5. Muy bonitas las figuras que has encontrado, la pantera negra me parece preciosa, tus prendas de punto muy bonitas. Feliz fin de semana:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The animals were a great find Sheila! What a great idea! The clothes look great too - they look as if they are real and put on hangers. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I feel like I have so much left to do!

      Delete
  7. The animals and the clothing is a great touch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm going to start gluing things in pretty soon.

      Delete
  8. This is all so cute! And the animals are adorable. Great mini eye! This is my favourite bit... the dressing of the rooms.. such fun! Glad you had a great mini Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete