Sunday, November 5, 2017

November Already? I'm Feeling Behind...

I don't know what it is about this time of year.  I always feel like I have a million things left to do and not enough time to do them.

I did manage to add some more trim to the house.



When I get the porch and pillars done I'll add the trim there.

Speaking of the porch and pillars... that was the next thing I worked on.  I made a template out of cardboard and made supports from bass wood.



Then I stained the wood with Minwax Ebony and Rustoleums Weathered Grey afterward.  It made the wood dark without being brown.  I'm trying to keep the cool colors on the outside of the house.


Here it is in place against the house.


I made a little step as well, about the same size as the original, because otherwise you're stepping up a foot to get to the porch and that's not realistic.



They're not glued together yet, just sitting for now.  I wanted to add the stone before I glued them together.

A little finagling and I got the stone on.



Ceramcoat to protect the stones and then some mortar, and I glued the step to the porch.  It's not perfect but I still like how it looks.  Of course I forgot to take a picture of that step.

Instead I started on the columns.  I wanted the stone to go about four feet up the columns and then the lip and tapered wooden column would start.  I'm still figuring out the engineering for those tapered columns but I did get the stone on the bases.




The ceramcoat is still drying on the columns so no mortar yet.  You can see a bit of the mortar on the porch and step though.

I need to make the cap/lip to the stone columns and study a few pictures of craftsman houses to figure out what sort of detailing I'll need on the tapered portions.  

So far so good though... that stone takes forever and drives me more than a little batty but I'm pretty much done with it.

Have a great rest of your weekend everyone!

Now where's my to do list...

18 comments:

  1. The stone work on the porch looks great - I really like the gray stain too. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I wanted something darker than the roof, but same color you know?

      Delete
  2. What a difference that porch makes to the front entry and what a Fabulous job you have done with the stone! I am soooo Impressed with your efforts Sheila, and also your willingness to tackle those tapered columns after the paint dries- oh the math, the math.... :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh yeah, math is not my friend. But I found a blog with a guy who made the craftsman columns in 1:1 and I think I can use the same process.

      Delete
  3. I love withered color of the deck floor and the stone bases of the columns. All perfectly in style with the house and a great addition. Great work!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Took some time but the stonework is always worth it.

      Delete
  4. The porch looks wonderful. The stain on the boards bring the stone and siding and door color into complete harmony!
    This time of year things seem to speed up and time seems to vanish, but you are so close. I am sure things will start to come off the list and before you know it you'll be taking submission photos! So exciting!
    I hope the column trims make perfect sense and come together for you with ease. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm toying with the idea of not having railings, just a sort of entry way portico rather than a porch, if that makes sense.

      So far so good with the columns. I'm going to try and do some mental work this week to make them easier.

      Delete
    2. I like the idea of no railings. It looks really nice already without them. Running things through the mind for a few days always helps me too. I tend to fall asleep building the next phase in my mind, and things seem clearer that way. Sometimes I even remember the solutions in the morning! :O)

      Delete
    3. Yeah I don't want it to look too cluttered.

      Delete
  5. Looks good Sheila! Not far off being done; just keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks! Now to get the columns done. Math is scary

      Delete
  7. Hi Sheila! I think you are making excellent progress! The endless trim and exterior details can seem to take forever.... but they add up to a wonderful finished product! The tapered columns will be a challenge... I am sure there must be some architectural books somewhere with the correct formulas! I would just start with the idea of a very narrow pyramid... equal dimensions on the base, equal dimensions on top and angled sides between them! Start with card stock dummies and wing it! I'm sure you will manage to make them look wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I found a blog that shows how to calculate the angles and I think that will help. I figure some paper and tape mockups before I move on to cardstock or wood.

      Delete
  8. The porch looks great. I like your aging effect on the wood. It looks lovely and matches the exterior colours well. It's all coming along nicely. And you know I feel you on the painfulness of that stone.. but it really is all worth it in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh yes, same stone you worked with... it is painful! But worth it in the end. It's just getting there that's so insane.

      I was so pleased with how that wood turned out. A grey similar to the roof but not quite the same.

      Delete