Sunday, August 27, 2017

Walls, Floors & Hardware

Not necessarily in that order. 

I started my weekend by finishing my kitchen ceiling light fixture.  I picked up some coffee stirrer straws at work and they were even black so I didn't have to paint them or anything.  Happy chance right?  And I remembered to take a picture of my entry way light fixture.



I was at a point where I really couldn't put off gluing the walls together anymore.  But before I did I needed to make a template for my backsplash.

I had to do a dry fit of the kitchen. Again.  But I added the bronze handles and drawer pulls to the cabinets.  I like the contrast with the dark hardware.




I also took the brass pulls off the island table and replaced them with bronze as well.



Once I got that done I glued my walls together and started to lay out my backsplash.



It is not easy to cut ceramic beads in half.  My arms hurt again.

There was a lot of waiting this weekend, for glue or stain or whatever to dry so I tried to stagger things out.  While glue is drying work on tiles, while tiles are drying work on the floors.  While the floor stain dries work on the bathroom lights.

After wiring the lights together and forgetting the plug I cut the wires and managed to do it right on my second attempt.  Rather than have pendant lights beside the mirror I just put two ceiling lights.



I plan on hiding the battery in the sink cabinet.  I might just be lazy and cut a bigger hole in the wall so I don't have to take the plug off the wires.  That's the worst part of the wiring for me, besides figuring out the order.

You can see the floors in the pictures above.  Here's a better one.


I used the Minwax Red Oak stain stick and then layered American Cherry over it. I like the look.  It's close to the color of the built ins but a bit darker.

I've been going nuts trying to figure out what to use as a countertop.  I want the backsplash to stand out, hence the neutral cabinets.  So I went with a cream colored countertop. 

Then I glued everything in.  I had to keep the bathroom in place so I wouldn't move the last cabinet out of place.  And I had to make sure everything fit in the way it was supposed to.  Lots of praying and cursing.  It was an interesting hour.

But everything is in. Finally.





I got a chair and tested the height of the desk before I glued it in and I'm pretty happy with it.  It's so small I decided against putting a lamp on it though.

Last touch was the faucet.


I'm debating on adding grout or not.  I kind of like how it looks without.  And I need to make a little curtain to hide the underside of the sink.

Now I need to figure out the next step.  Who knows what that'll be.  I've got the bathroom to finish, furniture for the living room to make and cushions for the window seat.  And I need to figure out a way to make candles for the fireplace if I decide against using my embers.  The murphy bed has no bedding and I need some sort of coat and shoe storage for the entryway.

Lots to do!  I'd better start making a list.

22 comments:

  1. The kitchen light fixture and entry light are great - Can't wait to see them installed and on! The bathroom lights look really nice and give off plenty of light for the space.
    I love the way you've finished the cabinets, especially the uppers with varying heights. The hardware really pops!
    The appliance colors are fantastic! I love them with the backsplash and how you've made them the color feature for the room. I would tend to grout in the same color as the cabinets just to finish it off. You could always scribe a line in the center of the underside of the sink, then add a pull on each side to make it look like a cabinet. I really like that faucet!
    The floor is really pretty - warm and cohesive with everything else.
    You've gotten so much done and I bet are so encouraged to see it coming together so good! I am loving it - so many great features, ideas and charm going on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm thinking the grout in cream is a good idea. It'll have to wait until next weekend to do it though.

      I'm pretty pleased with the floors. I really want some in real life.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE those light fixtures! you are doing such a beautiful job on every aspect of this. Well done! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how they turned out. I really wanted something that would fit in with the house.

      Delete
  3. It looks great!!! I love the backsplash colours with the cabinets. It's all ties together nicely.

    Make sure you tape off the window frames before you grout. That stuff gets everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oh yes, I've learned the value of taping things off before I do anything.

      Delete
  4. sheila, this comes along beautifully. Funny that we all put off glueing it all together and making it permanent ;-). As to the kitchen tiles: they are very dominant (because of their thickness) and I recommend to grout them to soften the effect somewhat. Keep going!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yeah I'd just about decided that they'd need grout.

      Delete
  5. I love the color of the backsplash. I can't remember if you grouted the fireplace surround, I'd have the backsplash match it, either with or without.

    The easiest way to put a curtain under the sink would be to glue fabric to a piece of corrugated cardboard cut to size. If the fabric is light in color, give the cardboard a coat of gesso or white paint first. They sell thin corrugated stuff in the scrapbook paper section if cardboard is too thick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did grout the fireplace. So the backsplash really does call for it. It'll be a pain but if I'd put the grout on before I glued it in it would crack when I moved it.

      I'll have to look for the thin stuff and decide on a fabric for the curtain.

      Delete
  6. There may be lots to do but I can see lots of progress. What a great little kitchen! And Inlove the little desk there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Still needs work but I'm hoping to get it grouted by next weekend.

      Delete
  7. What can I add? All has been said above. You've done a fantastic job so far. I love what I see and I love following your progress.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty pleased with how its going.

      Delete
  8. Your lights look wonderful and so do the tiles! The kitchen is coming right along now! I would definitely add the grout... I know it is time consuming and laborious and messy, but I know I have always been glad when I decided to go for it! It adds a layer of realism that you don't realize you are missing until you add it! And I can sympathize with the anxiety around gluing things in place..... eventually you just have to take the plunge! I can't wait to see it all together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to have to do the grout. It just doesn't look right without it.

      I'm excited about the progress and a bit nervous too. There's going to be a lot of putting the house on its side to do work.

      Delete
  9. Hi Sheila! I've just found your blog :)!
    A lot has already been said above, but I love those backsplash colors and the rest of this lovely kitchen. Your miniature light fixtures are wonderfully made. I can't wait to see more.
    Kind regards,
    Ilona
    www.minimumloon.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and all the lovely things you've written. I'm pretty excited about the backsplash. It's supposed to echo the tilework around the fireplace so hopefully once the grout is in that'll work out pretty well.

      Delete
  10. Great job on the lights! :D I'll chime in and agree with grouting. I think you'll be happier with it in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! And oh yes. All of you are right. I couldn't grout before I put the tile in but now that its in I really have to. It's too dark without some light grout in there.

      I'm not looking forward to it but it has to be done.

      Delete
  11. Sheila! I am so happy you're still at it with the miniatures! You have some impressive work! Hope you, Jess and the kitties are doing well! I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm kind of addicted to this now. Thanks for getting me started! We're good. Miss you too!

      Delete