Sunday, August 20, 2017

Getting Ready To Glue

We've talked about the face that I really have no clue about the order everything should be done. Right?  My ignorance is firmly established in your minds?

Well I think I got the order in which I need to do things down. At least for this house.

I got the walls routed out so I have a place to hide the wires. 





And I got the floor notched out so the wires would go through them. 

I textured and painted the walls.  But I forgot to take a picture of them so you might see that in the background of the next pictures.

I know from experience that trying to do certain things is almost impossible with the walls up.  And other things can't be done until I get the walls and floor in place. 

But before I can glue anything into place permanently I have to have most of the lights in place and the patched up to hid the wires.

I needed a light fixture for the kitchen.  So I spent most of Saturday and part of Sunday morning making one.  I need to get some coffee stirrer straws to finish it and hide the wires going from the lanterns to the ceiling panel but hopefully you'll get the idea.



I'd bought a couple of lamps and used the shades to make sconces and glued them to the wall beside the picture window.



They'll provide some light beside the window.  You can see some of the texture I added here.  I think it gives the walls some interest visually.  I used another lamp shade to make a ceiling fixture and I'll add that to the entryway.  Again, no picture, sorry. I was really absentminded.

I want to be able to finish the bathroom so I worked on a shower curtain but I'm not sure I like it or not.  I did get a toilet paper roll made and the holder glued to the side of the sink.


I couldn't find any mirrors that I thought looked like they belonged in the house so I got some scrap wood and plastic mirror sheeting and made one.



The last thing I managed to get done this weekend was painting the kitchen cabinets and adding the hood for over the stove.  Once they're dry I'll add the hardware to them.


Once I get the hardware on, I'll need to measure and do a test run of the backsplash and countertop.  I think I'll be able to put them on if I can get two walls glued together and the floor dry fit.

But hopefully it will go smoothly.

How is everyone else doing?

10 comments:

  1. Looking great - I like your craftsman light fixtures and the cabinets look good too. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm trying to not just 'settle' for something that's sort of good. Even if it means spending a day gluing and cutting.

      Delete
  2. Looks good Sheila. Loving the light fixtures, and the cabinets look like they have a really nice finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've got my stirrers so I'm ready to finish it!

      Delete
  3. Your light fixtures look FAB Sheila!
    I know the angst leading up to the actual commitment to the glue so good for you for meeting it head on! :D

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so freaking out about gluing. I'm worried about the backsplash for the countertops so I need to do a good dry fit before I glue the floor and walls.

      Delete
  4. ah, it is a big moment when you are ready to assemble this dry construction! have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The order of things is always a riddle, but it looks like you've got a good handle on it with this build!
    I love all the fixtures and the way you've incorporated them to function as you need them. The mirror unit and cabinets look great, too!
    You're getting to the exciting stuff, and I am looking forward to the next posts! It's all going to come together beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really pleased with how the bathroom is turning out.

      Delete