Sunday, October 23, 2016

Revising the List


So the infamous list is being worked on and revised.  Here it is as of last week.

Glue in curtains
Roof
Trim (bedroom ceiling and outer walls)

Gutters & downspouts (paint and age first)
Add flowerbeds & vines.
Wire living room lamp to battery in table.
Finalize furniture arrangement
Add all accessories & stick them down as needed.

My time off work started on Friday and I got right to work.  The downspouts were the first thing, along with my little mystery project.  Then I added the downspout holders.  I used chalk paint on both, and then sanded off some of the white top coat to age them.  Same colors as the aging on the gutters and the rest of the house, just a different method.  I don't want the whole house to look crackled, just old and beat up.




The downspouts started out square and I used my dremmel on the corners to sand them down so they were vaguely oval shaped.  The braces are cardboard, bent into the right shape and coated with white glue and water to keep them stiff.  I used head pins for the screws and cut off the ends then painted everything with the chalk paint, the same as the downspouts.



Obviously the mystery project was a little roof for the side doors.  When it rains as often as it does in LA and TX winters there are very few old houses that don't have some sort of overhang/awning or roof over the doors.  I used the same crown molding as I did on the balcony and aged it with the crackle finish.  The braces had to be of a different style since the roof is angled downwards.  I got some strip wood, quarter rounds and the scallop trim I used for the detail over the balcony and glued it together until it was a bit more built up. 

I also wanted to get the utility meters onto the side of the house along with the hose and faucet.  And as you can see my back steps are done.  They're removable right now because as I turn the house back and forth I don't want them to snag on anything and break.





The pipes for the utilities don't quite hit the ground because I'm planning on a flowerbed below them.  I wanted them to look a little beat up so I didn't paint them or anything.

Anyone who's lived down near the Gulf is familiar with the way mold/moss/kudzu can grow on darn near anything.  Even tin roofs can end up with a greenish tinge if they haven't been scoured clean by driving rain.  (Sometimes even then.)  So I dabbed glue onto the roof and began to add some green fuzz to the roof.




I've got plans to get a harder brush or some coarse sandpaper and take a bit more off.  Right now its a little too green for me.

I also got some house numbers up next to the front door.  They were not the easiest to glue, or to get in focus with my camera.  A photographer I'm not.



I'm also working on a table for the balcony for the mint juleps to sit on.



I'm kinda excited about this.  I might make more than one if it goes well.

So the list is revised...but not by much.

Glue in curtains
Roof

Age Roof
Trim (bedroom ceiling and outer walls)

Gutters & downspouts (paint and age first)
Eaves & Age Eaves
Roof of back door
Light for back door
Add flowerbeds & vines.
Wire living room lamp to battery in table.
Finalize furniture arrangement
Add all accessories & stick them down as needed.



15 comments:

  1. It looks awesome Sheila! All those details....so much to take in. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I'm excited and worried about the flowers and vines for the outside. The Building Inspector was trying to mess with it today.

      Delete
  2. The roof looks great and the downspouts authentic. The overhang and steps are spot on. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited to try the flowerbeds next... I've got my paper and I'm going to attempt some flowers of my own.

      Delete
  3. you are incredible and certainly have a great hand at painting (making things look used and old). admire you for this - I never seem to have the guts, afraid to really mess things up. but you are right - a little less moss would look good... keep going! you are doing a fabulous job :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I know what you mean, this is the first house I've ever tried to age so I'm double-checking everything I do along the way.

      Delete
  4. Fantástico el trabajo que has realizado, parece que ha pasado el tiempo por esa pintura, y el musgo en el tejado muy auténtico. Felicidades.:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Back again.

    Before you put the flowerbeds in you might want to age the foundation. The clean white grout looks out of place since everything else is aged. A grubby gray wash ought to blend it in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, some rust on the meter pipes, if you have time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's it! I keep looking at it and trying to figure out why it looks so odd to me... The foundation! Oh man you rock!

      The pipes yes, they need some rust. So do the downspouts around the edges...

      Delete
  7. The end is nigh! Looking good Sheila, and I think your last few tasks are managable. My thought is to add just a little moss to a few other corners of the house. The fascia around the roof on our RL house has a little moss on the south side. And it tends to grow on the baseboards around the bottom of the house. Anyway, by the time you add plants, everything will be look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm planning on a bit off moss around the base of the steps and around the bottom edges of the house. In my experience it tends to grow darn near everywhere when you live in a humid climate.

      Delete
  8. I'm so jealous of your list, lol. Love the detail of the green on the roof and the meters on the side. I agree they need some rust or dirt. Everything looks so good! Keep it up, you'll be done in no time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find that I don't work well without some sort of outline or plan of progress. I get bogged down in the details so much that I won't get anywhere without a plan.

      I have since added rust and dirt and plan to have some moss around the foundation corners at least and some on the flowerbed borders as well.

      Delete