Monday, September 23, 2019

The Surprise & Halloween

I'm writing this Sunday but I'll be posting it on Monday since that's Tina's birthday and the surprise is a gift for her birthday.

Tina's into owls like I am.  And I had a hexagon lantern which I thought was really pretty.  So I got the owl I'd splurged on a while back and made her a lantern.

You've seen the tree and stump...




The owl is from HandmadebyNovember on Etsy.  I need to get myself another one, I love this one so much.  I made the tree using the same method as my apple tree for the WQRC but I used only wire, no wood dowel to thicken the trunk.

My accomplishment for the weekend is a hollow pumpkin with a Halloween/Witchy/Magic scene inside it.

I got the pumpkin at Walmart and it came with a light to plug in for the inside, which is pretty cool.  It was also nice because I could be certain it was hollow.  I was trying to do this last weekend and found out I'd bought solid Styrofoam pumpkins.  Not going to work.

So I cut off the back of the pumpkin, not as easy as you'd think.


The first step was figuring out where I wanted my floor to set and what I wanted it made out of.  I decided to go with some of my grass.


First couple coats of paint and testing out the height of my Jack-o-lantern table.


First layer of paint on the outside.  I started with gesso to prime the plastic and then switched up to modge podge later.

I made a, floating potion cauldron, a magic tea set and several 'potion'/preserve jars.




Once those were sitting I went back to working on the pumpkin and making it look a bit more natural.




I made a stove out of pvc pipe and a straw with cardboard for the grate, top and door.  I used the left over pumice gel I had to give the paint some texture.  It looks enough like cast iron that I'm happy with it.

Then I made a few more 'magic' items.  A spoon floating over a jar of magic honey, dishes all topsy turvey, that sort of thing.

I used woodsies to make shelves for the walls and placed them all over my walls.  I need to take some better pictures.  I was in a hurry and didn't really light everything very well.








As you can see, there's some glue drying going on still.

But that was my weekend.  I got to play with the instant water and dyes and a bunch of other fun stuff so I'm pretty happy.

Hope you all had a great weekend!


Update: My friend loved her lantern and is excited to put it in her house, she's got the perfect place for it she says.


10 comments:

  1. The owl lantern is stunning. I'm sure your friend loved it. I love the witchy pumpkin.
    A fantastic scene!
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lucky friend you have! That owl is so cute. (I visited the Etsy store. I love all those little needle-felted animals). And your Halloween pumpkin, with its magical teapot and potions, is a delight. Cutting into that pumpkin does not look like it was fun, but you made a good job of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything you made. The owl scene is so serene and I love the owl! And then the magical mayhem in the Halloween pumpkin is awesome! I am so impressed that you were able to do so much in one weekend. And that you were able to create all those floating potions etc. I love it! I can't wait to see it when you post some better pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one creepy pumpkin! In a fun way of course.
    emjay

    ReplyDelete
  5. El farol con el búho ha quedado impresionante!! Y esa magnífica calabaza decorada tan estupendamente me gusta mucho,grades trabajos!!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a thoughtful gift for your friend and the owl is just adorable! I bet she was so touched!
    I love how you've given so much life and character to the jack-o-lantern and the scene inside is full of magical fun! Have you put the bookshop and the loft on hold, or are you going to surprise us with the incredible work you've been doing in secret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Loft is definitely on hold. The Bookshop I'm working on a bit sporadically these days. I'm excited to maybe get the Etsy shop started soon.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sheila. Your owl and lantern are beautiful! I can see why you need another owl! And also well done on the pumpkin, it looks so cool! And all the fun accessories! X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both owl lantern and pumpkin are wonderful! No wonder you love the owl - it's great. And you made a perfect home for it. :)
    Pumpkin house is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete