Sunday, June 23, 2019

Loft Kitchen...More Books

This weekend I wanted to make some progress on the Loft.  So I worked on the kitchen again.  I'd put one coat of the blue paint on last weekend and I got another coat on Saturday.

I painted the doors and went to work figuring out a better version of the oven doors.  I ended up using thin cardboard, pearlescent scrapbook paper in black and steel gray and plastic from a package of windows.





I think they look better than the first version.  So I started to work on the handles.  I cut two lengths of wood and drew two ovals over the edges then used my Dremel to round them off.


I taped them together so they'd end up the same shape.


The cabinets needed handles so once I got them positioned and glued to the boxes I started to paint my hardware.



I got the handles from Jodi's Shapeways shop.  I decided to go with black hardware in the kitchen.  It's a modern look and contrasts with the browns in the countertop and backsplash.




Once they were in place I got the ovens glued on and started to work on the countertops.


I added poly gloss finish once everything was glued on and that helps to bring out the details a bit.  That had to dry before I could do anything else with the cabinets so it gave me plenty of time to get the inset for the stovetop done and the sink painted and set in the countertop.



I spent so much time on the Bookshop last weekend that I worked a bit more on the Loft this weekend.  I got the first portion of the backsplash done.


The blue in the greyish/brown stone gets picked up more once it's next to the cabinets.



They need gout added but I like the look so far.  Just this section took a lot of the beads though.


Once I got that portion grouted I put the cabinets into the Loft.  I'll work on them more next week.  I need to order more beads.

A view from the front door of the Loft.






Then I started to work on more books for the Bookshop.


And in the mail I got a lovely gift from Barbara whose blog link I seem to have lost.  She sent me more books and a cute little sign.  The leather bound book is an atlas with beautiful little maps inside.


Aren't they gorgeous!  Thank you Barbara!

Deborah sent me some of her spare blank books since she works in half scale and they're 1:12 scale.  She also sent me the sweetest little readable copy of Pride and Prejudice.  I have it safely put away so I can't lose it.  Thank you Deborah!

Everyone has been so kind I can't thank all of you enough.

24 comments:

  1. You have made real Progress on your kitchen, Shelia! I love the moody blue colour of the cupboards coupled with the contrast of the natural wood shelves and the tile beads. A good looking combo!
    And a Bookstore can never have too many books and the ones you're making along with the new ones with which you've been gifted, are sure to find a home inside this Fascinating Project, either downstairs- or UP!

    elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was hoping it would look good.

      Books and more books...I need about three more boxes. I'm going to be making books in my sleep! LOL

      Delete
  2. Has progresado mucho en la cocina! El tono azul queda muy bonito y contrasta perfectamente con la pared de piedras.
    Tu librería aumenta en volúmenes,será grandiosa!
    Besos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. ¡Gracias! Sentí que necesitaba pasar más tiempo en la cocina este fin de semana y parece que está dando sus frutos.

      Delete
  3. I wish I had a kitchen like this one in real life, you did a great job, Sheila. I love the colors of the backsplash, it suits perfectly in your colorscheme.
    How kind of your friends to send gifts, yes, this blog world of miniaturists is filled with kind people. Enjoy their gifts.
    It's always nice to read your blog, to see what you're up with, Sheila, every time I learn a lot from your techniques and views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ilona! I'm excited about how the backsplash is coming out. It looks better next to the cabinets than by itself.

      This community has been so good to me. I'm just trying to be as supportive of others as they've been to me.

      Delete
  4. The kitchen looks great, modern and neat. I love the colors and how you made the oven doors.
    The amount of books that go into a library is incredible and you already a considerable number. Lovely gesture from Deborah. A readable copy in miniature of Pride and Prejudice is a real treasure to cherish.
    Hugs,
    Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Drora! In real life I probably would have gone for something more neutral but I really like the color in mini.

      Delete
  5. You have made a lot of progress in the kitchen. It looks wonderful so far, I love the colour you chose for the cabinets. I have no doubt this kitchen will be very special, the backsplash is a very nice touch. Miniature books are so special, lovely gestures by your mnini-friends :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always amazed at the generosity of our mini community.

      Thanks! I'm glad the cabinets are coming out well.

      Delete
  6. Wow Sheila! The cabinets, ovens and sink look incredible! I love the clever idea about using the clear packaging over the black cardstock for the door windows! The metallic gray fronts and the handles are perfect, too! The best part is that you've made something so completely cool and all from scratch! I love the stovetop and the tile backsplash - you always think of the most unique and creative ideas for your kitchens! The fridge's grill was just the thing to make you know it's a fridge, too! I'm looking forward to seeing the tile backed shelving - it's going to bring each element together so cohesively! Excellent work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! I really needed that grill below the fridge or it just looked like more cabinets. I'm debating a thin strip of silver at the top, just for some added detail.

      I was really pleased the oven doors came out well. I was worried I wouldn't be able to figure anything out.

      Delete
  7. Hi Sheila, why oh why haven't I been here before?????? Your blog and work is fabulous - so much to catch up on Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to see you! Lots of craziness over here as you can see.

      Delete
  8. Wow, it's starting to look so realistic. What lovely books you received, it's going to make the shelves interesting to browse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping so! I'm looking forward to getting my lights in.

      Delete
  9. Great fix for the oven doors. I really like the way this kitchen is looking. That blue for the cabinets is so pretty. I can't believe your backsplash is made of beads. They really do look like tiles. So fun watching this take shape! And very glad you liked the book. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you again! I adore the book. My husband was afraid to touch it. Cabinets were a risk but they definitely paid off.

      Delete
  10. I could have a kitchen like this. For myself. :) I admire your patience with the stones. But the mosaic looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love these colors but in real life I like things a bit more neutral and I bring in color with accessories.

      Delete
  11. Hi Sheila! I am so late to comment again....! I am so glad you went with the blue cabinets in the kitchen. They are going to be very beautiful! The "stone" back splash is Gorgeous too! It is made from beads? Wow, they are beautiful! As for the books for the Bookshop... I can feel your pain! You will get there! The ones you have been given are lovely and such sweet gifts! This blog world is so awesome, I just can't describe how unique and valuable these min friendships are! :):)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy! Slowly but surely I'll get here. For a miniature kitchen color is so much fun.

      Delete
  12. I have blue, chrome and wood in my real kitchen so I'm a little biased when I say how lovely your kitchen is :) It's coming together so well Sheila :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pepper! Blue is one of my favorite colors.

      Delete