Sunday, June 2, 2019

Kitchen, Paint, Second Floor

It's hard to believe May is already over!  But I feel like I got a good amount accomplished this weekend.

I made a start on the Loft kitchen, getting the layout drawn on the length of wood that will serve as the back of the cabinets.  And then I cut the full floor to ceiling lengths that will surround the fridge, the double ovens, spice/baking sheet cabinet and pantry.




And I did a test fit of the stairs to be sure they'd fit next to the counter under the window.


Right now I'm not sure if I want to do an island or not.  And I'm still debating the cabinet finish.  I'm not sure about a dark color because the stairs won't really stand out.  I have time to think about it.  Maybe some blonde wood, that's very mid century modern.

The other thing I did was paint. And paint. And sand and then paint some more.



I'd mistakenly reversed my paint plan, putting the lighter color in the main space and the darker in the bedroom and bathroom.  So I had to correct that.

I also glued the main part of the house walls to the floor.  The addition isn't glued in yet so I've got space to maneuver and work on things but after a while not gluing the walls in just feels like procrastinating.

I'd been using Jodi's Hip to Be Square lamp from Shapeways and got the base painted.  The shade arrived and I painted it a nice dark blue to match some of the blue on the feature wall.



I think some polish for the base and it'll be good to go.  I like the matte look to the shade.

But that was all I accomplished for the Loft this weekend.  I worked on the bookshop after that, lots of staining.  Didn't end up with a ton of pictures because most of my day was staining spindles, newel posts and railings.

You know how you save things and now and then you think, 'I should throw that away' but you don't because you never know if you'll need it?  Yeah.  I'm so glad I saved the spindle spacer from the Gothic Victorian.

I took some photos with my phone of the railings getting glued in and put them on Instagram.  Not my finest work. Lots of glue and clips.

6/3/19 Got the images off Instagram!




The end result is nicer looking.


I glued the second floor in and the back walls for it.  Then tested out the bookcases.  I need to know where they fit exactly so I can put the baseboards up against them.  I don't want to put the baseboards behind them because then they won't stay flat against the wall.




The third floor isn't glued in yet, but I wanted to make sure everything still fit correctly.

I'll have to start on the rest of the trim next week, baseboards for the first and second floor, crown molding for the second floor and the window trim for the second floor.  Then the electricity will have to go in.

So rather than box up the bookshelves again I left everything inside and did another dry fit of the whole house.



Once the electricity goes in I can add the brick.

Feels like I'm making progress.  Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.


24 comments:

  1. "Feels like I'm making progress".....you say?? Oh my, comparing to you I always feel like working as a slow snail in my miniature jobs ;O!! Every weekend you do so much work at the project you work on at that moment, I always wonder how you can do this at such speed....;O.
    I like all your jobs and results of this past weekend, Sheila, it's great work and I love seeing that last picture of the entire 'assembled' house in dry fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekends are about the only time I get to do minis so I have to cram in as much as I can.

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Compared with my work I'd call yours turbo-quick, not to mention what beautiful results you get. I love how the house looks from outside and I love even more how it already looks inside. You are heading for another big success.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Drora! I'm getting more excited about it.

      Delete
  3. Wow! Another impressive weekend's worth of work! I love that lamp! And you've done a very nice job of finishing it. It's all coming together magnificently!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I really fell in love with that lamp.

      Delete
  4. Oh that kitchen is going to be incredible! I am so excited to see it come to life! I am so impressed with your cabinet layout, and you even thought of the recess for the toe kick!!! Awesome!!!
    The rail is looking fantastic and I am so jealous because you have made it look so easy! I love the trims, and with the bookcases in place you get a lovely feel for how the shop is going to be set up!
    I love, love love the way you finished the lamp, and the blue shade looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jodi! The kitchen might kill me before it's done. But I have hope.

      So not easy! A square at the end, the spindle jig, glue, cursing...and making everything fit once the glue was on... There's a reason I included the pics with the clamps when I found them. Not pretty.

      Delete
  5. I love your finished lamp it looks like a real one!
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a dream kitchen the loft mini person will have! I love the way you are laying it out and it looks like it will have plenty of bench space without the need for an island to block the view. The idea of blond wood for the fronts sounds fab' and I think will tie in well with the narrow wood trims on the feature wall.
    - and oh boy how the bookshop is coming along. That picture up through the levels is just great. Love it all.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking there'll be enough counterspace that an island won't be necessary. But I'm not ruling it out just yet.

      I'm debating my counter material though and I don't want it to blend in with the cabinets too much. More research needed.

      Thanks! I was really happy to get the railings in without anything breaking.

      Delete
  7. Wow you got a lot done it all looks amazing. I love the lamp.
    Hugs Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yesss, you have accomplished a lot! You are making a lot of progress in both your buildings and I like what I have seen so far and your ideas. That kitchen is going to be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My first time doing a kitchen like this.

      Delete
  9. Wow, that is a progress! The matt lamp shade looks great.
    And yes, keeping things is a good thing in hobby like this. Everything can be useful someday. Good you saved the spindle spacer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kamelia! I'm pretty happy with things so far.

      And now I have justification for my hoarding. LOL

      Delete
  10. Hi Sheila. There is a lot of work in all that painting. But yxp u are getting so much closer now. I am not much help on colour suggestions but for the cabinets, if you want your stairs to stand out, I’d probably not go too light on the cabinets, as that will bring them forward visually. I guess it depends on what angle they will mostly be viewed from in relation to the stairs. Anyway, you have a clear idea in your mind about this build, as it is cohesive, so I am sure you will work out the best option. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shannon! I'm still debating the cabinet colors...if they're pale all along the back wall and wrapped under the small window, the dark stairs will be right in front of the wrapped counters.

      So I'm still playing around.

      Delete
  11. Hi Sheila! You are Definitely making progress!!! On Both structures! I really am liking the loft kitchen lay-out... now that I can see what you have in mind! The Bookshop is looking Fantastic.... so much work has come together to really make this look authentic! The facade looks wonderful... and the glimpses of the interior are now looking like a real shop! Keep up the Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, and I forgot to add that I am pretty sure kitchen islands were not the thing in mid-century modern homes... the new thing was the open counter dividing the kitchen from the dining room.... sometimes just a "pass-through" to the dining room. Kitchens have evolved a lot! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Betsy!
      I know islands weren't really the thing in Mid Century homes, but with a modern take on it I'm trying to think if a small island would be a good thing. Maybe just a little table or something instead of a big island.

      I'm still thinking.

      Delete
  13. I just love that open space in the middle! Will you have some sort of hanging light? It's great to be able to see how the layout works now with the second floor having all those shelves too. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm feeling pretty good about it so far. I'm making books like crazy these days while I wait for things to dry.

      Delete