Monday, April 30, 2018

Tower Window

You all know I've been toying with the idea of a little offshoot tower on the third floor. Nothing huge, just a spot to set up a telescope.

So it isn't exact, and mine definitely won't look just like this.  But this is similar to what I want to do with the third floor of the tower.  Just to give you all an idea.

I got the picture off Pinterest but there wasn't any link I could go to to credit this incredible piece.  If anyone knows who it belongs to I'd love to visit their site. And credit the picture here of course.

Update: Tiny New World tells me this wonderful piece belongs to Peter over on DeviantArt.


This differs a bit in that I want the supports to rest against the brick of the tower rather than plaster for the extended third floor, but third floor being larger than the staircase 'base' is something I'm going for.

I probably won't have the elaborate beam work on the body of the tower, though it would be very cool if I could manage it.  Maybe echo it on the second floor of the house?  I won't need the chimney or the squared off bay windows.  I want to use a Houseworks Casement window that I made Tudor on one part of the third floor.  If I get really ambitious I might do another.

I love the steep slope of the roof but its a little too 'fantasy' for me so I'll probably go for something slightly more shallow.  But that little offshoot tower...

Which I still have no clue what that's called.  Does anyone know the technical name of that little tower?

That's what I want to do with the window I got.  The small Victorian bay window.



I think I'll end up microwaving it and taking it apart to make casement windows for it.  And making it a bit shorter.  But window's roof angle is similar to what I want for the main part of the tower. The inspiration picture has the type of roof I want to do on the WQ Retirement cottage, that slate look.  I'm collecting cereal boxes in order to get varying thicknesses of cardboard.

I think it's doable.

What do all of you think?

22 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what you do! The image is a digital rendering: https://dlshadowwolf.deviantart.com/art/Tangled-Tower-279928866.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I'm excited to see if I can manage to mimic it.

      Delete
  2. This looks fabulous and will be perfect for your tower. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have to figure it out before I start building the third floor. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Is your baby tower a 'turret'?
    I love the idea, and can't wait to see your spin on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose it could be. A turret is a small tower projecting from a wall...typically used for defense of an adjacent position. I just wasn't sure if a tower off of another tower had a different name.

      Thanks! I'm hoping it works.

      Delete
  4. Wow, that will be great! Fantastic photo for getting lots of inspiration, Sheila, thanks for the link!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely love that piece, gorgeous work isn't it? Wish I could do something half as good.

      Delete
  5. A really wonderful tower. I'm sure your's will be just as stunning.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping if I get even a quarter of this detail it'll look good.

      Delete
  6. It will be awesome on your tower! I have no idea what it's called in my own language, let alone in English, but that mini tower is perfect for your project :-). The example tower is very cool looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping I can make it look even somewhat similar. I love that look.

      Delete
  7. La fuente de inspiración es fantástica, seguro que tu ventana le darás ese toque que te gusta.Besos:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I appreciate the positive thoughts!

      Delete
  8. Oh those photos are so inspiring! I am excited to see what you come up with - I know it will be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have such faith in me! Thank you. I'm hoping to create something worthy of my WQ.

      Delete
  9. These pictures really help visualize it! And I LOVE IT. The houseworks victorian window looks perfect for the job. The cottage/house part is really large in size so I think proportionally it can handle all this extra square footage on the tower. How exciting is it to really see this build come to life?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very excited. And hoping my tower can come even somewhat close to this one. It's super inspiring though. I already want to do criss cross beams on the upper portion of the cottage.

      Thanks! I'm going to start building out the third floor this weekend so the window will be going in the microwave soon. (Only on a miniatures blog would anyone not even blink at that sentence.)

      Delete
  10. Hi Sheila! This is looking more and More exciting as you progress! All the details add up to a wonderful creation with loads of character! I think the projecting windows are often called "oriels", but I have no idea what they are called if it is an entire added tower-ling! I was thinking "turret" might do... but like you say that is usually a piece off a wall. I am really looking forward to seeing every update on this project! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm excited but so nervous about it too!

      Delete