Sunday, April 29, 2018

Tower Stairs and Interior Walls

So last week I showed you the beginning of my put the stairs into the tower process.  Which was painting the stairs their base coat.

This weekend I gave them a few more coats of grey, using the same colors I had for the stone floor of the tower.  I used a wash of darker grey to give them some shadows and then dry brushed a bit of it in strategic spots.  And of course I forgot to take a picture of them drying.

I glued them to the center post, which I decided to leave wood because I like the warmth and I think it makes the tower more interesting visually.



I started with the lower stairs because I could move the post around as I choose and did a quick fit to make sure I hadn't goofed something up in between building, painting and gluing.  Knowing me that's entirely possible.


But they worked!  Yay!

So I let them dry inside the tower since it would keep them where they needed to be.  Then I started on the window and door trim.  I used egg carton stone and got all the windows and the two doors done and painted.



I mixed up some of the all purpose texture to use as grout and since I had mixed a bit too much decided to plaster the tower walls, at least in part.  I didn't do all of them because again, I think it makes the tower look interesting inside.


There are a few bubbles in the brick paper due to the moisture but they've flattened some overnight as all the texture dried.  And then I could glue in the window and door surrounds.

Which again, I forgot to take a picture of at the time.

But since I was using the wood post as my center support column the stairs needed some wood supports to tie everything together.  I used some of my 1/4 x 1/16 bass wood from Hobby Lobby and some 3/16 x 3/16 wood from Miniatures.com as supports, stained Dark Walnut.


Obviously my glue is still drying.

I made a landing for the stairs out of balsa, carved to look like wide boards and stained with some Ebony to darken the 'space' between the planks and Dark Walnut on the bulk of the wood.




Then I figured out where I needed to put the upper stairs and did the same thing all over again for them.

There will be some touch up painting on the stairs once the glue dries but so far everything seems to be working.  I've used rubber bands to hold the tower closed while everything dries so it'll keep its shape and the stairs will adhere to the places they're supposed to instead of moving around.

And so I took pictures from the doorways to show you the view of anyone walking into the tower.





Again, glue still drying but so far I like how it looks.

What do all of you think?  How was your weekend?

20 comments:

  1. Looks great! The wooden supports are a nice touch, and the plaster over the bricks is visually more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm pretty excited by how it's turning out.

      Delete
  2. Shelia I love the supports under the stairs. It goes to show the amount of thought and detail you are putting in. I really love the way the plaster has transformed into stone. You have a knack for giving each material the right kind of texture! Might just be the photos, but would you consider maybe dirtying up the stone a bit more? I think a bit more weathering on the stone and plaster would add even more realism. Right now it looks pretty clean... I'll be checking in with you when I do my egg carton bricks, the stone frames you made came together beautifully! Have a great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to get the lights in so I can figure out where soot from the candle flames would end up, but yes, some more weathering is necessary. I figure I'll dry brush dark grey mixed with black.

      Delete
  3. Hi Sheila
    The supports under the stone stairs have a tree branch effect which ties them nicely into the center pole. I also like the look of the plaster over some of the brick as it too, visually connects the stairs to the walls along with your stone window frames.
    This is really developing into an "enchanted" cottage by the looks of it, and I am greatly intrigued by your entire process!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking awesome! I love your progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I want to start on the third floor soon.

      Delete
  5. Wow, the stairs and walls look great, Sheila, those wooden supports makes the whole even more interesting, just as the plaster does for parts of the walls. Oh, I LOVE seeing your progress of the cottage project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased with how its going so far.

      Delete
  6. The center post in wood with the supports is looking great. The stairs really look fantastic now! I also love what you did to the walls. This cottage of the Wicked Queen is going to look so good when finished, I can already imagine her going up those stairs ;-D!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The stairs go nowhere right now. But eventually she'll have her room with an orrey and telescope.

      Delete
  7. Yep - the stairwell is becoming a really magical space! I think the plaster over the brick is just what it needed, and the timber supports on the stairs are awesome! The egg carton frames are coming out authentic looking, too! Great progress and great ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm hoping to age it a bit, get the sconces in and work on the third level this weekend.

      Delete
  8. Agree with everyone else - the wood supports really give the stairs character. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! That was sort of the goal. I want it to look realistic and join everything together.

      Delete
  9. Stunning work on the stairwell and post. This is a very interested project to follow.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! By Friday when I can get back to work on it all the glue will be completely dry and I'll be able to do some touch up paint and spackle.

      Delete