Sunday, April 1, 2018

Tower. Stairs, Windows & Doors

Once again I find myself in that age old conundrum.  What do I do first?

Before I can put finishings on I need to determine where my wiring for electric lights will go.  Before I can rout out wiring channels I need to know furniture placement and where the windows will be.  Also what are the most likely light sources for my cottage.

Window placement gets tricky since I need to adjust the windows I have or build them from scratch.  I've figured out it'll probably be a mix of the two.  For the tower, since the walls are pretty thin, I'll make some windows out of thinner wood, card board or mat board.

But I needed to cut out my doors and windows in the tower and the back walls.  I finally got up the nerve to do that this weekend.



I'm going to end up with a slight 'tunnel' effect for the upper wall door, but I don't really mind.

I got the stairs glued together completely. 



They came to the right height which is pretty good.



Then I got up the nerve to cut out the doors and verified that they would work with the door placement so I won't need to redo them at least.  I checked the ones for the ground floor to the second floor first.


Then I cut out the door for the second floor. It won't be directly above the first simply because the roof angle of the cottage won't allow for it.  The door would end up four feet high.  Not quite realistic.



 While I was waiting on the glue for the stairs to dry I got my sandpaper out and gave it some layers of paint and a coating of satin poly over it to keep it from getting too messed up once I put it on the tower.



Since I have to make the tower windows from scratch I made a template with the same Tudor arch to the top of them.  Since I got the stairs done I was able to place the windows and cut them out.


Then I got really brave and put the hinges on the tower.


I decided I wanted my windows on the ground floor and the second floor to be at least four feet from the floor.  That makes them smaller and a more reasonable height for a Tudor cottage.

Rather than build all the windows from scratch I'm cutting down the frames for the kits windows.  I'm not exactly thrilled with the windows for the kit, they seem a little haphazard to me.

I've got enough cut down to do the windows on the first floor, including my bay window in front.  I'll build up the window openings and cut out larger ones for the second floor later on.


The windows are odd, they'll only fit halfway into the walls, then the inner frame fits in the other half.  I guess the 'glass' goes in the middle?  Weird.  I'll build casement windows inside these frames which will make them look a bit more Tudor-like.

Not a bad weekend all in all.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend and a Happy Easter as well as a good Passover.

32 comments:

  1. You are Speeding right along Sheila and I love the hinges on the tower- a BRILLIANT idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's funny is it feels slow! Thanks though.

      Delete
  2. The tower is coming along swimmingly Sheila! The doors look great and the stairs fit perfectly. I love that it will be hinged. It's probably going to be my favourite part of your build. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm pleased it's going well so far.

      Delete
  3. You are making great progress. I know what you mean about "what do I do first", I go through that every build.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I swear, it always makes me insane trying to figure out the order of things.

      Delete
  4. I agree with the others: you're already making progress, Sheila. The doors and the stairs look great, they fit well. Good idea for making the hinges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Slowly but surely. I can't seem to do a dollhouse without hinges these days!

      Delete
  5. It's so good when you do something and suddenly the next steps make perfect sense. Then you get on a roll and before you know it, Progress! I love the whole tower set up and functionality. I hope you find time in the evenings this week to keep that roll going!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I don't know if I'll get to work during the week but that's usually my research and planning time.

      Delete
  6. Wow, you've made an amazing amount of progress and it all looks good. Well doen so far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm concentrating on the tower because once I get that figured out I can get everything else squared away.

      Delete
  7. Hi Shelia, The stairs look great, cutting the doors and making it work with the tower looks like it was really tricky. I love the windows in the tower! The shape is really nice! Also very difficult to make I’m sure, since they are curved… ;) Can’t wait to see how you solve this! With they have “leaded glass” in them? Congrats on all the progress, really you seem to be putting right along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm trying to keep that Tudor shape for the windows in the tower since its the 'new' portion of the cottage. If I can manage it I'd love to do something similar to the upstairs windows. But we'll see.

      They'll definitely have 'leaded' glass in them. I don't think I'm going to make them curve, real ones wouldn't be I don't think. Plus they're narrow enough that it won't be really obvious.

      Delete
  8. Great progress Sheila! I think the deep walls at the doors would be normal - old walls were very thick in real life. And how did you hinge the card tower parts? Did you just use screws or pop rivets or something else entirely?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm excited that it's coming along. For the hinges I used a screw at the base where there's wood to drill into. I used some little silver things (now I can't remember what they're called) but I found them with the scrapbooking supplies.

      Delete
  9. It all looks great! I am so impressed with the tower and the hinging. I might have to borrow that idea for my castle - if I ever return to that project. I never thought to hinge cardboard!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You just need something to spread out on the other side of the cardboard in order to get the hinges to stay put. It was the only thing I could think of to make the tower work.

      Delete
    2. Brads! The little things I used were small silver brads.

      For the life of me I could not remember what they were called.

      Delete
    3. Thanks so much! I am excited to try it - when I return to that one! Brilliant!

      Delete
  10. Looks like a fun project. I am looking forward to seeing how the tower turns out. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm both nervous and excited about how this is going.

      Delete
  11. You made so much progress! It all looks awesome! Well done :-).
    Leaded glass in the windows will be so beautiful :-). Late Happy Easter :-)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm hopeful it'll work the way I want it to.

      Happy Easter.

      Delete
  12. Wow Sheila! You are Zipping along!!! The Tower stairs are looking just as they should (at this stage of construction!) and the window placement is great! I Love the hinges you have put on the Tower so it will open up!!! And the cutting of the doors is always a challenging part.... how to be sure you are measuring right before there is anything to measure to and from.... ! I usually start with a smaller than necessary opening and then expand it as I see how the parts connect! I am enjoying seeing this project take shape.... it is going to be an amazing Cottage when you are done! :) (I would want a little "Juliet balcony" at the very top of the Tower.... just to make things harder for myself! LOl!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The top of the tower (3rd floor) will actually go outward about an inch and a quarter around so the room is bigger and can accommodate some windows and the telescope.

      Delete
  13. Great progress! The stairs look great.
    The inside of the tower, with opening for windows, already looks good. You are overcoming a task the for me seemed impossible.
    Hugs, Drora

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm slowly figuring out what I need to do and in what order.

      Delete
  14. You are on fire! I am loving the tower and the staircases. Great job Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping I can continue to make progress.

      Delete
  15. Hi Sheila, We see what seems like such quick progress. However, I am aware of the magic of photographs.
    I laughed as you intimated how crazy it makes you trying to decide all the steps you must take in reverse before you can take the first step. Just one stumble the dominos fall!
    Good idea with the hinges on the tower so it can be opened up.
    Keep up the good work.
    Regards Janine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, photographs can make three days of work look instantaneous! And I'm really hoping to get my electric figured out before I put the outside finishes on since that's generally where the wiring is hidden.

      Thanks! I swear every house I do I have hinges somewhere.

      Delete